Gaining Weight Sucks

Discussion in 'Community' started by scem0, Jan 19, 2003.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I have gained about 6 pounds in the last 2 months, ever since I
    quit playing basketball. I am watching my diet now, but I am still
    annoyed with the fat on my belly. Im not used to it. I just went
    outside to excersise - my exercises consist of trampolining, kung
    fu, and gymnastics, all of which I love, but have never formally
    been taught (Except for a year or so of Kung Fu). Well, anyways,
    I went outside to start jumping on the trampoline, and after about
    5 minutes of jumping I notice that all my flips are ugly and I wasn't
    landing them straight, especially a back full. I dismissed that b/c
    I hadn't jumped on the trampoline in a long time, so I thought I
    had just gotten rusty. So, I get off the trampoline to do some
    gymnastics. I do a couple flip flops, all of which were ugly, and I
    dismissed these for the same reason I did the flips on the
    trampoline. I finally get to doing harder stuff, and I was doing a
    flip-flop back flip when I strained my back. It didn't hurt bad at
    all, but I stopped 'exercising' for the rest of the day because I
    didn't want to hurt myself (I have strained my back many times,
    mainly when I was into diving, and tried to tuck under too quickly
    after hitting the water). I am now ~175 pounds, and I don't like it
    at all ;(. I want an abtronic........ ;) :D

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

;) It's those Ramen Noodles ...

Drop the calories in the drinks, and cut back on some of the empty calories in desserts and snacks.

Attached Files:

• eat.gif
      eat.gif
      File size:
      399 bytes
      Views:
  3. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Um...:rolleyes:...thanks for sharing.

Um...so are you just telling us, do you want some advice, just venting, do you want us to laugh at you, give you sympathy, pity, ... :cool:

Anyway, i'm sure a month or two of weight training should help;). Go lift some light weights! :p Add that to some kung fu for cardio, and you'll be back in shape in no time;).

As for your diet...if you write down everything you eat that day for a week or so...that should help.

But what do I know...:D

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't know how young you are, but age makes a difference. After ~35 years old the metabolism slow down. As mentioned by Sun Baked & Over Achiever cutting down on calories & exercise is the best. Eat 6 smaller meals a day spread out evenly sometimes helps.

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

Achiever, you should place a smiley after your every other sentences. :p :p :p

scem, I was in the same situation a while back. When I reached around 190 or so, I suddenly decided to drop a few meals, seeing that extra food served only for taste.

I hate excercise altogether, but since I have cut back that meal (+/-) a day I have stayed around a constant 180.

Then again, you could be having too many leftover holiday treats. :D

Since you make this such a big deal, I'm surprised you haven't made a thread starting with "I'm turning into a walking sugar cane!" :D

6. vniow macrumors G4

7. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Maybe you should consider a form of exercise that won't strain your back. Try running. That will strain your knees instead. :) Just eat healthy, get lots of exercise, and (not or) make sure your calories out >= calories in. Don't fall for the quick fix exercise products.

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i just picked up a few bottles of the hollywood 24 hour diet and have lost 13 pounds in a day and a half.... i have not left the bathroom though, as to do so would mean for a heck of a mess.....

i don't see the downside though, i would highly recommend it... and i bet i won't gain it back either! i just wonder what happens when i'm down to 15 pounds and the stuff makes me just disintegrate... oh well, that's the price you pay for a great body! here's to you society! here's to you cosmo and vogue! here's to you..... hef!

9. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I am just venting for myself..... I think.

I guess I don't care what y'all do.

The exercise I do never strains my back. Diving did a couple times
    and not too badly. My current exercising techniques are less brutal
    on my body... in some ways. But then again, I think I am hurting
    my knees. I can't tell whether I am strengthening/helping them
    or hurting them when I land flips. :D

10. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

you got those too!!! I am on day 3 and have lost over 50 pounds. I don't sweat anymore and can finally see my ***** again!

And also, I don't want to eat anymore because that way I wont have to sit on the can anymore. That's a great way to loose weight too.

These things are more addictive then crack, which also helped, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper!

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

here's a thought.... and before you read on, brace yourself (your slim new self!).... what if one were to combine both the hollywood diet and crack??!?!? can you imagine the limitless possibilities!?!?!

oh man... time to light up the rock while i inject the hollywood diet... works much faster that way i've found....

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I agree with the point on Ramen. I've been eating various kinds of Ramen since the 1980s and if you're not careful, it can be very bad for you. Generally, the Korean brands (Nong Shim, Sam Yang) and the Japanese brands other than Nissin are safe. Cheaper Ramen has lots of Sodium which helps your body retain water.

I spent a good too years going from 155 down to 116 (I'm 5'7") and then back up to 120-122 where I've stayed. I love to eat but I have to be careful with certain kinds of foods: pasta, potatoes, and rice--starchy stuff.

Good luck!

13. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I love starch and dairy. Not a very good combination for losing
    weight, eh.

And for the person wondering, I am 15. 16 in april.

My mom would never go for that hollywood diet. How long does
    the....... condition last after drinking a proper amount of the stuff?

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

it really depends on a few variables...

1. how much you take/how much you want to lose

2. how big you are

3. the frequency of your bowel movements during "normal" conditions

so if you want to lose a lot, then you'll be using a lot of the diet liquid. the larger you are, the more you need to take for it to affect you (similar to alcohol, or whatever else). and if you're one who has frequent bowel movements under "normal" conditions, you will not see too much difference once you start taking it, though it will increase somewhat... if you don't move your bowels much to begin with, you will see probably a double in how much you go to the bathroom.

it lasts for about 3 weeks once you stop taking the liquid completely... though again, that depends how much it affecs you from the start.

15. dermeister macrumors 6502

dermeister

Um, can someone please explain what the hell the "hollywood diet" is?!!?!?!?!

16. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Another nice thing about it is you can eat all you want, and not gain weight WITHOUT forcing yourself to vomit.

After a while all that induced vomitting hurts your esophagus, but with this shizzle you can just take a little extra and eat away!

Just don't make any plans when you plan what I like to call 'a binge session'

17. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

18. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

If I could offer one piece of advice to you to aid you in your weight loss, it would be "STOP EATING, FATTY!" ;) :D

19. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Ever since you have started posting here you seem to have a preoccupation with your weight and "how skinny your friends think you are." You really seem to have some self-image and self-esteem issues that need working out.

I recommend that you see a psychiatrist ASAP.

20. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Wow Durandal... you really pay attention, or maybe you have an unhealthy fixation on him..? Maybe you should seek counceling as well... :p

Do I have any odd fixations that reoccur in my posts? (other than poor spelling)

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

All the diet plans are just in the business of making money. Getting together with friends to form a support group would work just as well! ;)

22. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Y sm t hv tndncy t typ lts f wrds wth vwls n thm.

23. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

How about me? ^_^

24. Maclicious macrumors regular

Maclicious

food pyramid your problem

Hey, turns out the food pyramid put out by the USDA is terribly flawed. This and the fact that trans-fatty acid (from hydrogenated oils) is in most food you eat is why you and most americans are getting fatter, even kids!

It's in newsweek, but I read about it first in Scientific American. Below is a link to the article on line.

Summary: some fats are good for you, some carbs are bad for you, and starch is always bad for you. Learn to discriminate, and you'll be much happier :).

httpp://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=0007C5B6-7152-1DF6-9733809EC588EEDF&pageNumber=1&catID=2