Galapagos pictures

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by SpAtZ, Mar 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpAtZ macrumors regular

2. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

The pictures look very nice, but get rid of the hit counter it doesn't look like it "belongs".

-Cheers

3. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

wow, i really like the ones with the iguana type things, as well as the pictures of waves breaking on the coastline. very rare sights these days, i havent seen any good pictures of the "galapagos islands" since i watched master & commander:D

S

4. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

There are a handful of places I want to visit in my life, that is one of them. I watched a documentary in high school all about it and still am amazed when I see pictures and videos from there. Truly an amazing and unique area of the world.

6. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

7. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I love the turtle; such incredible animals down there. You're quite lucky to be able to get down there and take some shots. Did you go down there to take pictures or for vacation?

8. SpAtZ thread starter macrumors regular

I went down there for vacation and of course to take some pictures back with me. The whole experience was amazing. One day I had a baby sea lion come up to me and nudge me for about 3 minutes(then he sneezed on me, which was disgusting). For most of the times I went snorkeling(like 6-7 times) I would be swiming with several sea lions who actually played with you. One day I even swam with 3 or 4 penguins. There is just so much more to tell I could go on forever. However, it was extreamy tiring.

9. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

we just finished the galapagos unit in school. i fell asleep through the movie where we learned everything about it.

10. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

cool pics

i like the pictures, but i guess i am more one for scenery than just animals alone. I know the landscapes down there have to be spectaculare so make sure u upload a handful of those as well :D.

11. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I love the animal pictures. I'm not really a fan of landscape pictures, they're always 2d looking and very boring.

12. EEcuber17 macrumors member

your pics are amazing. Zoomed in with awesome crispness.

What kind of camera d'you have?

13. Orlando Furioso macrumors 6502

Orlando Furioso

Great pictures. I love blue footed boobies. Thanks for sharing.

14. SpAtZ thread starter macrumors regular

300d

15. iGary Guest

iGary

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

17. SpAtZ thread starter macrumors regular

Example of how close animals come up to you. (Picture taken with a wide angle lens)
    [​IMG]

18. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I really enjoyed viewing your wonderful photos! Some of those creatures I'd want to be at a good distance from, and I assume you were! Thank goodness for telephoto lenses. LOL! You've got some amazing and interesting shots of unusual animals that most of us never see....

19. SpAtZ thread starter macrumors regular

Most of the creatures I saw we had to walk over because they blocked the paths. I stumbled over a few marine iguanas(the black ones) because they are so camouflaged on the lava rock. Those guys are all over the place

20. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Thats great, I love the crab. I just got back from Antigua, which is devoid of wildlife.

21. DrStrangelove macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

While I'm a sucker for wildllife and that really doesn't begin to explain my thrill of seeing animals from the big "G," this may be my favorite shot (as a photographer):

[​IMG]

22. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

This is a shot that I wish that I had had...I got "sniffed" while pausing for a film roll change.

Here's a few more images, from when I was there a couple of years ago & before getting anything digital:

http://www.huntzinger.com/galapagos.html

FWIW, from a photography standpoint the 'surprises' that I had were:

* I shot a lot more telephoto than I expected,
    * Critters are so close, that I often had to back up, due to a 5ft minimum focus distance on my telephoto
    * I was expecting to shoot at lot of ISO 100 film...but burned through all of my ISO 400 (especially for underwater).

And after the trip:

* I still need to get a good high capacity 35mm film scanner.

For anyone who enjoys nature, I think that the Galapagos is a "must do" trip, and probably the absolutely most important thing about planning such a trip is "Don't Wait Until You're Too Old".

The daily routine of shore landings (wet & dry) and walks in the hot sun across often rough terrain aren't really all that physically demanding (assuming you're in decent shape and not obese), but it is 3+ hours on your feet and so forth, which is significantly more demanding than shuffling through Disney World.

-hh

23. Keebler macrumors 68030

great job!

Fantastic pics Spatz!

You particularly managed to snap some great natural poses from some of them.

Weren't you worried about great whites when you were swimming with the sea lions? I hear those islands are a feasting heaven for the big guys.

thanks for sharing.

24. SpAtZ thread starter macrumors regular

We were told sharks were not a problem down there with humans. We were snorkeling most of the time in shallow water. Though if you drifted more than 20 feet from land most of the time you end up 200 feet of water depending what kind of Island.

I defiantly heard a few heart attack stories down there. Our boat had several older people 70's who managed to do about half of the activities. I felt the most rigorous activities was the snorkeling. We went for about an hour a day(sometimes twice) in very very cold water. Everyone was wearing full suits. The currents were very strong as well. But it was worth it to swim with Sea Lions and Penguins(We saw hundreds very rare).

25. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Very nice - The Galapogos Islands are on my life to-do list - Beautiful pictures!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.