Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Apparently it's still not a normal RGB sub pixel arrangement; Samsung really needs to work on their screen tech. This is definitely a niche device, tho.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
I remember seeing someone use galaxy note for the first time in public and I almost burst out laughing. It looked so stupidly ridiculous.

Gangnam Style

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
I remember seeing someone use galaxy note for the first time in public and I almost burst out laughing. It looked so stupidly ridiculous.

I chuckle every time I see an iPhone user.
Makes them look like an iSheep following the heard.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Very strong reviews by both Engadget and Verge for the Note II.

And I'm blown away to find that it's actually smaller in size to than the Note. Marginally, but apparently enough to make it easier to hold.

mg5278.jpg

Samsung is seriously impressing lately. Air View is amazing. And Verge says 2 days of regular usage on a single charge.

Last edited:

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
(Didn't read entire thread BTW, but the original link has been removed by Samsung due to copyright infraction)

I will say the marketing video/promos Samsung is doing for the Note and Note 2 are really well done. But its those same promo's that make me realize how I personally couldn't make good use of the device.

Most people say the Note/Note 2 are "oversized phones with tablet functionality," but I really think its the other way around. Its an undersized tablet with phone functionality. And precisely because it IS an undersized tablet, it misses the mark for either category.

Its just too small to be my go-to device for meetings. I prefer to take hand-written notes and while the iPad certainly isn't the best for this given its lack of native stylus input, software has been released that make it very useful for this with features such as palm-input rejection, sizeable/auto-scrolling text input boxes, snap-to shape formatting, etc. But for all that, its the size of the iPad that makes this the most useful. At just shy of the same size as an 8.5x11" sheet of paper, I can edit a PDF, use it as a 'transparency' overlay, etc. and it feels natural and just right. And if I were to try to use the Note 2 for typed notes...too small there as well.

All I get out of the Note 2 is a small tablet with embedded phone tech. Bigger than a phone, but too small to be highly useful for anything other than doodling and to-do lists. Otherwise, I'm going to be either squinting and/or scrolling like crazy. If you happen to be in the camp of bigger screens on mobile phone = better phone, then maybe. But I still think the size is going to leave many in THAT camp thinking its overkill.

I think its one of those very niche, special-purpose devices. I'm sure for someone it will find a perfect match. But then, so do ugly fat people.

Last edited:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Very strong reviews by both Engadget and Verge for the Note II.

And I'm blown away to find that it's actually smaller in size to than the Note. Marginally, but apparently enough to make it easier to hold.

Samsung is seriously impressing lately. Air View is amazing. And Verge says 2 days of regular usage on a single charge.

Well it's thinner in thickness and width but taller and heavier so whether people prefer that or not is subjective. I am loving the grey color!

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4854&idPhone2=4135

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
(Didn't read entire thread BTW, but the original link has been removed by Samsung due to copyright infraction)

I will say the marketing video/promos Samsung is doing for the Note and Note 2 are really well done. But its those same promo's that make me realize how I personally couldn't make good use of the device.

Most people say the Note/Note 2 are "oversized phones with tablet functionality," but I really think its the other way around. Its an undersized tablet with phone functionality. And precisely because it IS an undersized tablet, it misses the mark for either category.

Its just too small to be my go-to device for meetings. I prefer to take hand-written notes and while the iPad certainly isn't the best for this given its lack of native stylus input, software has been released that make it very useful for this with features such as palm-input rejection, sizeable/auto-scrolling text input boxes, snap-to shape formatting, etc. But for all that, its the size of the iPad that makes this the most useful. At just shy of the same size as an 8.5x11" sheet of paper, I can edit a PDF, use it as a 'transparency' overlay, etc. and it feels natural and just right. And if I were to try to use the Note 2 for typed notes...too small there as well.

All I get out of the Note 2 is a small tablet with embedded phone tech. Bigger than a phone, but too small to be highly useful for anything other than doodling and to-do lists. Otherwise, I'm going to be either squinting and/or scrolling like crazy. If you happen to be in the camp of bigger screens on mobile phone = better phone, then maybe. But I still think the size is going to leave many in THAT camp thinking its overkill.

I think its one of those very niche, special-purpose devices. I'm sure for someone it will find a perfect match. But then, so do ugly fat people.

Hah. That's a good post, and an interesting perspective on the device.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011

That's what I think about the 7" tablets like the Galaxy Tab and (presumably) forthcoming iPad Mini, which really are too big to be a phone and too small to be a tablet.

However, unlike these, the Note II is just small enough to live in a shirt or inside jacket pocket - and I think that is what makes the crucial difference. Compared to a phone, the big screen is much nicer for web browsing and maps, when you're using it as a GPS it's big enough to actually see (I currently drive Das Mini and if I mounted an iPad on the windshield I wouldn't be able to see out!) and the on-screen keyboard is good.

I've actually just got a Note II (to replace my ancient HTC Hero... I have a Mac, an iPad and an older iPod Touch, so when it comes to phones I'm looking for something different to scratch the gadget itch - the maps fiasco hasn't helped).

However, one warning for Mac users: syncing with a Mac via USB is a pain - the Android File Transfer program for Mac seems to just plain not work with the current version of Android, and iPhoto doesn't seem to want to play, either. Samsung provide a syncing App called "Kies" (?) which "works for me" (others have reported problems) but is a bit temperamental - and is awfully clunky.

Not quite such a deal-breaker these days - you can use Google to sync your contacts and calendars, and Google Drive or Dropbox let you exchange files, but getting your music collection with playlists intact is going to be a pain.

The default music player on Android sucks, too, but there are plenty of alternatives.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
That's what I think about the 7" tablets like the Galaxy Tab and (presumably) forthcoming iPad Mini, which really are too big to be a phone and too small to be a tablet......

I have both 7" and 10" tablets; the 7" relegated the 10" to bedside nightstand use only. The 7" is my carry companion when I need a tablet on the go. :)

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
So I guess you find it easy to do that on an iPhone screen?

No, actually, I don't find that easy to do on an iPhone screen. But its easier to do on a 7" Android tablet (I own several). Easier, however, doesn't mean its still a great experience.

My point was that scrolling around a tiny screen (even one as big as the Note 2) for media consumption is bad enough. But a tablet with a stylus is geared for content creation. If I'm just jotting a grocery list of one-liners, its fine. If I'm taking detailed meeting notes, penning an outline for a novel or software application, etc.....a full 8.5" x 11" is my preferred target. I certainly wouldn't want the Note 2 for that...and forget about the iPhone screens.

kdarling

macrumors P6
My point was that scrolling around a tiny screen (even one as big as the Note 2) for media consumption is bad enough. But a tablet with a stylus is geared for content creation.

If I'm just jotting a grocery list of one-liners, its fine. If I'm taking detailed meeting notes, penning an outline for a novel or software application, etc.....a full 8.5" x 11" is my preferred target. I certainly wouldn't want the Note 2 for that...and forget about the iPhone screens.

Sure, 8x11 is okay around the house or office, but it's a bit large to carry everywhere you go.

A lot of us used to carry around tiny shirt pocket spiral notebooks to jot ideas down in, which is about the size of a small screened smartphone.

As for novel outlines, some people like 3x5 notecards, and still others of us use a daytimer sized notebook for software concepts.

So while a certain size might fit your content creation needs, there are plenty of other sizes that fit other people.

(I wonder how much of this is a result of what size notebooks we grew up with! )

Last edited:

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I've been reading/watching reviews of the Note II and it has me very interested. I'm this close to returning my iPhone 5..

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Do it before the 30 day window closes.
iPhone 5 is a toy compared to the Note.

I really think Note II is an iPad competitor not an iPhone 5 competitor. Screen size alone gives it away.

Of course this is all good, because that will force Apple to make a more featured iPad

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
I really think Note II is an iPad competitor not an iPhone 5 competitor. Screen size alone gives it away.

no it isn't. An iPad does not have a phone system therefore it isn't a phone.
Also you can't put an iPad in your front or rear pocket.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Do it before the 30 day window closes.
iPhone 5 is a toy compared to the Note.

The iPhone 5 is a phone not a tablet.

Besides the iPhone 5 still has higher reviews than the note. Also how often are you going to pull out a stylus to use it? Often times I'm using my phone walking through on the street or trying to get somewhere, the thought of pulling out a stylus is laughable.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
That thing is way too large to be usable for average smartphone users.

I would have to disagree with you. I received the note 2 today after 4 1/2 years of iphone and its absolutely amazing I would recommend this phone to any one. Because it is thinner than my 3g iphone I actually notice the iphone in my pocket more than the note 2. Once you use it for a while the size is not so noticeable, until you pick up a 3.5" phone again they seem so small. I didn't think id use the stylus much but that too is great and im using it more often than not.

And the speed..... :)

Not trolling but im so happy that I cancelled my iphone 5. Happy customer here :)

----------

Well it's thinner in thickness and width but taller and heavier so whether people prefer that or not is subjective. I am loving the grey color!

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4854&idPhone2=4135

I have the grey. Its stunning and it feels alot lighter than I expected. Not heavy at all.

----------

I've been reading/watching reviews of the Note II and it has me very interested. I'm this close to returning my iPhone 5..

do it

Sent from My Note 2

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
The iPhone 5 is a phone not a tablet.

Besides the iPhone 5 still has higher reviews than the note. Also how often are you going to pull out a stylus to use it? Often times I'm using my phone walking through on the street or trying to get somewhere, the thought of pulling out a stylus is laughable.

Where does the iPhone 5 have a better review than the Note II ?
I have yet to see it.
Of all the reviews I've seen, most reviews favor the Note II or they just say something like get the one that works for you. None ever said the iPhone 5 is better.

Phone Dog - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pVZyOkd-TjE#!
around 13:30 min mark he states Note II is better.

Also, you don't have to use the stylus to use this phone. It's just an additional tool that you CAN use.

Last edited:

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011

As discussed elsewhere, the big possible downside vs. iPhone is syncing music/video/photos/files to a Mac.

The Samsung 'Keis' software will do the job but it's a bit temperamental and clunky, apps like WinAmp and Spotify will sync music over WiFi, or you can always resort to a removable MicroSD card, or you can install an SSH server on your phone and use an SFTP client, but you won't get anything quite as slick as the iTunes sync on the Mac.

Note that this phone does not currently work with Android File Transfer for Mac, and does not support 'USB Disk Mode'.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
The Note2 simply looks ridiculously big to think of using as a phone. Should be on MAD TV or SNL. As a small tablet I can see it. Not as a phone unless you only need to talk very rarely.

You could actually use an iPad as a phone if you're really hard up. Can run Skype or Talkatone or other VOIP apps and talk over WiFi. There's a microphone and speaker. Have to hold it upside down, but it works. I've done calls via Skype and it works fine although as a speaker phone.

Just goes to show there's a consumer for every product.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
As a small tablet I can see it. Not as a phone unless you only need to talk very rarely.

That would be me. My main uses would be web browsing and multimedia.

You could actually use an iPad as a phone if you're really hard up. Can run Skype or Talkatone or other VOIP apps and talk over WiFi. There's a microphone and speaker. Have to hold it upside down, but it works. I've done calls via Skype and it works fine although as a speaker phone.

Except you can't place an iPad in your pocket afterwards and have it with you 24/7.

A lot of people seem to think the Note 2 is the size of a Kindle Fire or Nexus 7 or something. It's still a very portable device.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
The Note2 simply looks ridiculously big to think of using as a phone. Should be on MAD TV or SNL. As a small tablet I can see it. Not as a phone unless you only need to talk very rarely.

Just goes to show there's a consumer for every product.

Well I own a note 2 and an ipad and I dont think you have compared the two nor used the note for an extensive period. The note fits fine in my jeans and I feel it less than my old iphone 3g. The ipad is huge and heavy compared to the note.the first time I saw the note I thought tbe same thing but after using it I would not go back to the iphone. Maybe it is too big for you but comparing it to the ipad is just something a fanboy would say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.