Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Forgot how good the Note 4 camera is. Found a baby bird in the grass by the lake this morning.

e1bddbbf1b6384de4d1ddc80456b07ea.jpg

aabc4d6c24cd70fa0467e71d6e504f09.jpg

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
When the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 comes out in the next few months..

I will be getting the Note 5 as my 1st prober Phone/Smartphone and phablet that could replace my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 maybe but i don't think it will replace my Tab Pro 8.4 we have to wait and see. :)

But it will be my phone!!!

So the Note 4 was my 1st Phablet and since getting it I barely use my iPad, most days my iPad sits in my work bag. So you may find that you use your Tab Pro a little less.

Reactions: Billy95Tech

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Sprint owners just got a nice Sunday evening/Monday morning surprise, Android 5.1.1. Users are reporting a snappier responding device. One user says the multitasking button now has an immediate response. I myself have never had this split second delay others report. But it's nice to hear it may be fixed for them. The update also includes the patch for the Stagefright Bug. I don't think any other device including nexus devices have received this patch yet. Good job Sammy and Sprint.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Sprint owners just got a nice Sunday evening/Monday morning surprise, Android 5.1.1. Users are reporting a snappier responding device. One user says the multitasking button now has an immediate response. I myself have never had this split second delay others report. But it's nice to hear it may be fixed for them. The update also includes the patch for the Stagefright Bug. I don't think any other device including nexus devices have received this patch yet. Good job Sammy and Sprint.
Can't wait to get the update!
C'mon Verizon let's get with the program here!

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

Have they included themes with the update?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Hehe, I can't help but smile because every time an update comes to a Samsung device it always fixes the multitasking button lag. Unfortunately I'm stuck on ATT who is always dead last for OS updates. Heck I think Sprint beat them the last few times and that's is VERY sad.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Ok... so I seem to be consistently convincing myself that the Note 4 is the phone to get? I think it's because of the price it's dropping down to is very tempting and will be cheaper then all the new flagships.
I have played with one in the store and the screen blows me away, but I want to ask...

1: How fast is the focusing of the camera on the back? And is it consistent at taking great auto mode or scene mode shots? Is it good for taking photos of dogs?

2: Also the wireless charging back you can get for it, how much bulk does it add and will it work with my official Nexus 5 Qi wireless charging station?

3: Oh and I take it you can set the camera to save photos and videos to the SD card.

4: In the UK does it come with the Snap Dragon 805 and is that a 64bit chip?

5: And how good is the fingerprint reader for unlocking the device.

6: And has it been updated to Lollipop, will it get Android M?

7: And also what type of USB socket does it have on the bottom? Micro?

8: How good is the cellular reception in the UK on EE if anyone has that?

9: And as an unlocked device do Samsung provide over the air updates?

If it get's cheaper by the end of the year I may get a 32GB White unlocked one from Amazon.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Ok... so I seem to be consistently convincing myself that the Note 4 is the phone to get? I think it's because of the price it's dropping down to is very tempting and will be cheaper then all the new flagships.
I have played with one in the store and the screen blows me away, but I want to ask...

1: How fast is the focusing of the camera on the back? And is it consistent at taking great auto mode or scene mode shots? Is it good for taking photos of dogs?

2: Also the wireless charging back you can get for it, how much bulk does it add and will it work with my official Nexus 5 Qi wireless charging station?

3: Oh and I take it you can set the camera to save photos and videos to the SD card.

If it get's cheaper by the end of the year I may get a 32GB White unlocked one from Amazon.
It is still a great phone and the screen is beautiful. It is slightly harder to see in bright sunlight though, but not bad. As for your other points.
1. It auto focuses fairly quickly and does consistantly take great shots in auto mode. It does take a while though for the camera to launch though, at least on mine which is an at&t model, you may have better luck with the European model.
2. Not sure, don't have one.
3. Yup, that's how I have mine set.
4. No, the 805 is 32-bit.
5. It's hit and miss, sometimes it works fine but it misses enough to where I just have mine disabled.
6. It has been updated to lollipop and should get updated to M. However it has not been updated to the newest version of touchwiz and probably wont.
7. Yes, it uses a standard micro USB.
8. I'm in the US on at&t, but compared to other at&t phones I have had, reception is ok, I get better reception with my 6 Plus, but it's about on part with my HTC One m8.

Reactions: apolloa and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

1:

It's very good ... Yes it focuses very fast. Though my doggies are vain as hell as really pose for the camera :D

2:

If you buy a third party qi card it adds no bulk, the official case/back version adds about a mil. Enough that the camera hump no longer protrudes.

3:

Yes

4:

It is the 805. Not sure it's 64bit

5:

50/50

6:

Yes lollipop is available. As for Android M - I'd guess yes but not till sometime next year

7:

Micro USB

8:

Cellular reception is great here on the different networks. I imagine it's same on EE in UK.

9:

Yes .... However do not take for granted that you will get them any quicker. Indeed it was Vodafone who began rolling out the Note 4 updates in Europe a good couple of months before Samsung actually rolled out the unbranded firmware.

(If you do get impatient waiting weeks - You can flash official firmwares on unbranded models via ODIN to get it a little sooner, it won't affect your warranty or trip Knox)

Last edited:
Reactions: apolloa

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
It is still a great phone and the screen is beautiful. It is slightly harder to see in bright sunlight though, but not bad. As for your other points.
1. It auto focuses fairly quickly and does consistantly take great shots in auto mode. It does take a while though for the camera to launch though, at least on mine which is an at&t model, you may have better luck with the European model.
2. Not sure, don't have one.
3. Yup, that's how I have mine set.
4. No, the 805 is 32-bit.
5. It's hit and miss, sometimes it works fine but it misses enough to where I just have mine disabled.
6. It has been updated to lollipop and should get updated to M. However it has not been updated to the newest version of touchwiz and probably wont.
7. Yes, it uses a standard micro USB.
8. I'm in the US on at&t, but compared to other at&t phones I have had, reception is ok, I get better reception with my 6 Plus, but it's about on part with my HTC One m8.

1:

It's very good ... Yes it focuses very fast

2:

If you buy a third party qi card it adds no bulk, the official case/back version adds about half a mil.

3:

Yes

4:

It is the 805. Not sure it's 64bit

5:

50/50

6:

Yes lollipop is available. As for Android M - I'd guess yes but not till sometime next year

7:

Micro USB

8:

Cellular reception is great here on the different networks. I imagine it's same on EE in UK.

9:

Yes .... However do not take for granted that you will get them any quicker. Indeed it was Vodafone who began rolling out the Note 4 updates in Europe a good couple of months before Samsung actually rolled out the unbranded firmware.

Cheers guys. Think I will wait for the cost to drop a bit and then grab me one, I'm getting cheap in my old age haha. Everytime I look at the iPhone I just think it costs silly money. But it was playing with my brother in laws 6 Plus that made me think phablets are not that bad after all?
Plus with the new iPod Touch on my chrimbo list then that's iOS taken care of anyway :)

A quick question on the wireless charging, do these Qi card thingy's work with any Qi charger, I ask as I think I saw one once but it came with it's own charger station?

There are a lot of fantastic new flagships coming out, but I feel the Note 4 will offer me what I want, mainly nice screen and good camera and good to get an SD card too and good battery life. I don't think much of Touchwiz but I see a youtube video of one with the Google launcher and it looked great.
I only had one other Samsung phone years ago, some flip feature phone. But I also think the Note is only phablet to buy?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Cheers guys. Think I will wait for the cost to drop a bit and then grab me one, I'm getting cheap in my old age haha. Everytime I look at the iPhone I just think it costs silly money. But it was playing with my brother in laws 6 Plus that made me think phablets are not that bad after all?
Plus with the new iPod Touch on my chrimbo list then that's iOS taken care of anyway :)

A quick question on the wireless charging, do these Qi card thingy's work with any Qi charger, I ask as I think I saw one once but it came with it's own charger station?

There are a lot of fantastic new flagships coming out, but I feel the Note 4 will offer me what I want, mainly nice screen and good camera and good to get an SD card too and good battery life. I don't think much of Touchwiz but I see a youtube video of one with the Google launcher and it looked great.
I only had one other Samsung phone years ago, some flip feature phone. But I also think the Note is only phablet to buy?

Yeah as long as it QI standard it'll work with any QI charger. Often some of the sellers package the card and charger together, but you can use any charger :)

EGlobalcentral have the N4 for £356
https://www.eglobalcentral.co.uk/#/product/14654

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Yeah as long as it QI standard it'll work with any QI charger. Often some of the sellers package the card and charger together, but you can use any charger :)

Thanks MRU, having used it for so long now with my Nexus 5 it's a feature I want in my next device, for some reason Samsung seem to be the only ones doing it, even LG only offer an official case with Qi, I don't use cases as I put my phones in Brodit car holders.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Thanks MRU, having used it for so long now with my Nexus 5 it's a feature I want in my next device, for some reason Samsung seem to be the only ones doing it, even LG only offer an official case with Qi, I don't use cases as I put my phones in Brodit car holders.

Yeah I'm hoping the Moto X Style has it myself as that's looking like my next Android. It's very handy to have indeed. (It wouldn't be a factor to make me not purchase if it didn't - but it is a great added bonus).

:)

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Just one more question, how easy is it to disable the Samsung bloatware from running without rooting the device or installing a custom rom. Can you just go into services and disable the features from running?
I would keep the pen functions, the split windows, the shrink the screen with a swipe to make it easier to reach option, and the camera features.
I've never owned a Samsung Android like I said but have read plenty about people complaining about the bloatware.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Just one more question, how easy is it to disable the Samsung bloatware from running without rooting the device or installing a custom rom. Can you just go into services and disable the features from running?
I would keep the pen functions, the split windows, the shrink the screen with a swipe to make it easier to reach option, and the camera features.
I've never owned a Samsung Android like I said but have read plenty about people complaining about the bloatware.
It's as easy you you described. You just disable and stop it from showing updates to the app. This way it doesn't consume system resources.
Here is a screen shot for you.

25e0ffb3b04f1fb0798816b6c652e098.jpg

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I strongly believe the Note 4 is a jewel of a device and probably the only phone I've kept for almost a full year lol !

Note 4 + Nova Prime + disabled bloatware [ as much as can be done w/o root ] = awesomeness!!

The camera, RF, swappable battery, wireless charging, useable pen, great grip, and... that screen!! .. Love it :D

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

8: How good is the cellular reception in the UK on EE if anyone has that?

9: And as an unlocked device do Samsung provide over the air updates?

1)_ Camera focus is decent, a bit slow but acceptable. It gets confused very easily if you have 2 subjects at different distances and sometimes you an actually see the focus vacillating between the 2 subjects. Macro shots are almost impossible to take as it refuses to focus on the subject. Auto scene pics are great with the above caveats. Low light pictures are not as nice as the iPhone.

2) you can get an aftermarket charging attachment that slips under the stock back, it's very svelte and only adds a tiny bump to the back.

3) yep

4) not sure I'm in the US

5) FP sensor is very good, not as good as the iPhone but I'm pretty happy with it. I prefer the iphone because you put your thumb on it, let it rest there for a millisecond and it opens, easy to do one handed. The N4 you have to swipe your finger, tougher to do one handed.

6) most probably yes, but based on Samsung and prior updates don't expect it until well into next year, and it may be watered down like the lollipop update this year for the Note 3.

7) micro

8) Reception is good in the US, it does drop calls and is terrible at switching between WiFi and cellular.

9) yes, but not a rooted device.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Ok, so I have looked at the wireless charging cards and reading the reviews they are a mixed bag, plus my Nexus Qi charger is not that big. So to kill two birds with one stone I've bought the official Samsung wireless charging back cover as it's around the same cost as the cards and is very reduced currently. I will then be able to see if I will be happy with the overall size of the Note 4 as it is a big device and see if it fits my Qi charger well or not, without spending hundreds on a Note 4 :)

Because of all those security cables in the stores, or even the cage things they have the phones in on the end of the cables, it's a bit hard to judge what they will feel like in your pocket etc?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
So, thought of some more questions... (sorry)..

If you use the Google launcher, can you make the home screen rotate or do you need an app for it?
And again, if you use the Google launcher does the feature of holding down the back button to get a selection of apps to use in multitasking windows still work?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
All touchwiz functions still work. Your still using touchwiz, just with Google now launcher instead of touchwiz home.

No Google now launcher doesn't support 3D page transitions. You would be better served with Nova Launcher for those kind of things :)

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
All touchwiz functions still work. Your still using touchwiz, just with Google now launcher instead of touchwiz home.

No Google now launcher doesn't support 3D page transitions. You would be better served with Nova Launcher for those kind of things :)

MRU, do you recommend the N4 (AT&T Unlocked US $369.99) over the S6 (international $479.99)? Feel both are priced pretty decent.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
MRU, do you recommend the N4 (AT&T Unlocked US $369.99) over the S6 (international $479.99)? Feel both are priced pretty decent.
That's a real toughie. Simply because the S6 despite its issues has got the latest software - whereas even though it's on 5.1.1 the Note 4 does not.

The Note 4 of course comes with a bigger battery, S-pen, bigger display, replaceable battery etc.

You must decide yourself of having latest software is more important than having the expandability.

It's hard to say because hardware is great on both .. just go with your heart.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
That's a real toughie. Simply because the S6 despite its issues has got the latest software - whereas even though it's on 5.1.1 the Note 4 does not.

The Note 4 of course comes with a bigger battery, S-pen, bigger display, replaceable battery etc.

You must decide yourself of having latest software is more important than having the expandability.

It's hard to say because hardware is great on both .. just go with your heart.
After some thought, the fact that the N4 is a at&t version is the deal breaker; can't stand their bloatware.

Thanks for you taking the time.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
After some thought, the fact that the N4 is a at&t version is the deal breaker; can't stand their bloatware.

Thanks for you taking the time.
Undstand about the bloatware. If camera and SD card are important to you the I recommend the N4. The N6 is also wider in the hand than the N4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.