Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I find it laughable that people think Samsung should drop their price when it is Samsung giving you the phones (S6/Edge/Note) with the most expensive tech (parts and manufacturing) and then go buy an iPhone at a higher cost for inferior dated tech. Now if you go buy a cheaper android, then that's exactly what you got, a cheaper android. And it would still be a great phone. I totally get not everyone wants the best tech in the industry (camera, display, etc), but If you do, it'll cost you. It's that simple. Trust me, I'm for lower prices, but I'm not gonna just say it's Samsung that has to be giving the lower prices. Everyone does. There's a reason Apple made up 90% of profits in the industry. Like I said, I can in no way in good conscience and simple logic, give my money to a company that charges me prices that only Samsung should be charging in this industry. Nobody else simply has the hardware to be charging prices like Samsung. So put it this way, if the S6 sold for $600, the iPhone should be $400 and the rest take it from there.

Let me just add, Apple was totally deserving of the higher price on the iPhone when it came out, but it simply is not the same today. Not even close.

As an Apple user, I gave up the extra stuff for less headaches. As an Android user, I keep costs down while retaining flexibility. I prefer to use my 6+ as my daily driver because I am buying into the entire Apple ecosystem. I feel like my 6+ was worth $. I had the 64 GB S6 Edge and it had great hardware, just shortcomings w/ software and battery capacity. The user experience is huge. I love tech, but a Moto G has less hiccups than Touchwiz. So specs don't matter as much. It took me a little to realize that because I used to be a spec sheet blowhard to the core. It's a big time brand overcharge, but you cannot go wrong. The average user doesn't like seeing 3 apps for the same function. Extensions can annoy people especially if they want to be on the go. That's why phones are personal preference. Apple is more popular in the US because of it's simplistic approach. Does it mean it's the best phone in terms of functionality? Nope, that would probably belong to Samsung since they have the coolest features to make the device do things your avg phone cannot do.

Reactions: Oohara

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I partially agree. Apple doesn't concentrate on certain specs, but does on others in an attempt to give an overall high quality experience. Such as the CPU, it's only dual core and only runs at 1.38ghz, but the was designed in a way that performance is off the charts, even now almost a year later only Samsung has come close in matching the single core performance, and even then it's not as energy efficient because it runs at a higher frequency. So while some see "dual core, 1.38ghz" they think those are "low specs" not accounting for the high quality architecture.

I also agree you on Samsung’s reputation. They nailed it with the S6, and really started turning things around with the Note 4, but they should've started making those kinds of phones after the success they had with the S3, instead they kept making the same thing while just pouring more money into marketing.

Samsung is on the right track, but their achillies heel is inconsistent software. So feature laden, but has horrible bugs from time to time and lack of timely updates. Moto should be the standard barer to show how to go from a crappy UI in Blur to a near Nexus experience with all the cool features sprinkled in.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Soooo..... back on topic and ignoring the Apple is God and Samsung are the devil arguments.

New pics and they say these could be official press renders that have been leaked, pretty much the same as already seen:

galaxynote5render.jpg

That's one impressive looking Note successor.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I find it laughable that people think Samsung should drop their price when it is Samsung giving you the phones (S6/Edge/Note) with the most expensive tech (parts and manufacturing) and then go buy an iPhone at a higher cost for inferior dated tech. Now if you go buy a cheaper android, then that's exactly what you got, a cheaper android. And it would still be a great phone. I totally get not everyone wants the best tech in the industry (camera, display, etc), but If you do, it'll cost you. It's that simple. Trust me, I'm for lower prices, but I'm not gonna just say it's Samsung that has to be giving the lower prices. Everyone does. There's a reason Apple made up 90% of profits in the industry. Like I said, I can in no way in good conscience and simple logic, give my money to a company that charges me prices that only Samsung should be charging in this industry. Nobody else simply has the hardware to be charging prices like Samsung. So put it this way, if the S6 sold for $600, the iPhone should be $400 and the rest take it from there.

Let me just add, Apple was totally deserving of the higher price on the iPhone when it came out, but it simply is not the same today. Not even close.

Except you miss the fact that, despite "lower specs" Apple often utilizes higher quality internals.

Case-in-point, an iPhone 6 and a Samsung Galaxy S6 on the same carrier network in the same room. iPhone gets 4 bars, Samsung gets 2. Betting cellular chip in the iPhone.

The A8 may be "only dual core" - but the engineering that goes into a dual core chip that outperforms just about every other is likely costly. The mentality that Apple devices are "behind" in specs just because they use dual core processors and 8 MP cameras is moronically simplistic. That 8 mp camera just so happens to use one of the top Sony sensors out there - Sony sensors Samsung recently started using I believe.

Reactions: nviz22

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Samsung is on the right track, but their achillies heel is inconsistent software. So feature laden, but has horrible bugs from time to time and lack of timely updates. Moto should be the standard barer to show how to go from a crappy UI in Blur to a near Nexus experience with all the cool features sprinkled in.

I asked a friend at work who loves his Notes, asked him what he had now and if he was going to get the Note 5, he said he has an iPhone now because of software updates causing his cellular functionality to stop working, I didn't ask if that was with custom ROM's or not as I know he used them before, but it's still a little concerning! Software is useless if updates break them, and that goes for Apple as much as Samsung.
Oh and my friend said he hates his iPhone lol! He likes tinkering with Android too much I think.

and 8 MP cameras is moronically simplistic. That 8 mp camera just so happens to use one of the top Sony sensors out there - Sony sensors Samsung recently started using I believe.

Just so you know, it is proven fact that Apple's camera IS behind the competition now, plenty of reviews and comparisons to back that up, it's why they are fully expected to fit a new camera to the 6S.

**NOTE** I have NOT stated the iPhone camera is rubbish or bad..

Reactions: jamezr

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
The A8 may be "only dual core" - but the engineering that goes into a dual core chip that outperforms just about every other is likely costly. The mentality that Apple devices are "behind" in specs just because they use dual core processors and 8 MP cameras is moronically simplistic. That 8 mp camera just so happens to use one of the top Sony sensors out there - Sony sensors Samsung recently started using I believe.

Riiiiight. Another example of being stuck in the past. Ridiculous. Get back to me when you've done a little more research, and I don't mean reading the editorials of that wannabe cult leader DED from Apple Insider. That guy is simply nutty beyond words.

Last edited:
Reactions: apolloa and jamezr

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I asked a friend at work who loves his Notes, asked him what he had now and if he was going to get the Note 5, he said he has an iPhone now because of software updates causing his cellular functionality to stop working, I didn't ask if that was with custom ROM's or not as I know he used them before, but it's still a little concerning! Software is useless if updates break them, and that goes for Apple as much as Samsung.
Oh and my friend said he hates his iPhone lol! He likes tinkering with Android too much I think.

Just so you know, it is proven fact that Apple's camera IS behind the competition now, plenty of reviews and comparisons to back that up, it's why they are fully expected to fit a new camera to the 6S.

**NOTE** I have NOT stated the iPhone camera is rubbish or bad..

Apple has its fair share of problems past and present. The difference between Samsung and them is speed. Carriers really slow down updates. Google does hamper some too because of their restrictions they want or holding back bad software, but they're not bad. Motorola will help change the carrier reliability. Apple is a danger to carriers because their phones typically don't turn much profit and they want to cut out the standard nano sim for their own tech to control how people n switch carriers w/o needing to swap sims. It's a double edge sword really.

As for the camera, it's still a quality sensor. I love the i6+ camera. It may not bas good as my old S6 Edge or the Note 4 I might keep. I was able to take a bunch of photos at a wedding with more ease than others with "better sensors." Software and hardware need to flow harmoniously. Samsung did that in the S6/S6E.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Riiiiight. Another example of being stuck in the past. Ridiculous. Get back to me when you've done a little more research, and I don't mean reading the editorials of that wannabe cult leader DED from Apple Insider. That guy is simply nutty beyond words.

Hold up there, sir or madam. Being stuck in the past is using a dial up connection. Apple maximizes the most relevant part of benchmarks in the user experience: single core. Single core allows most functions like calls and texting to be done. The OS is heavily simplified and optimized to maximize lower specs to produce fast results. It's really like using hormones to get a cow to produce more milk, but not at the cost of damaging the cow. It may not be able to do flashy stuff like IR blasters or run multiwindow, but given that it's not a MacBook 2015, it doesn't need high end specs to produce constant results. Remember, there is no simple answer to the best device. It's a beautiful part of the industry too. Choice is healthy. I used to be so pro Android and never saw the true results of the iPhone until I switched to one as my daily driver. I was a spec whore back in the day.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
It really is a shame if Samsung omits the sd card on the Note 5. I can live with a non-removable battery but cloud solution and streaming can never really replace local storage. For my next phone, I plan to insert a 128 GB micro-sd in it. And it isn't to store all my videos which is impossible as I can fill 1-2 TB quite easily these days but for transferring files. Three years ago, 64 GB cards cost the same price as 128 GB. Now they cost less than $30 and the same price as the 32 GB were a few years ago. 128 GB cards should follow suit in a couple more years.

The two areas where smartphones needs more improving isn't speed, cores, screen resolution, or camera. It is battery and storage space. Apple is still jipping folks with a $199 16 GB base model iPhones. Shame these OEM's gives us all that horsepower only to be crippled by battery life or high prices for more storage space. You can only enjoy the phone you have based by the limits of the content you can store in it and how long the battery can last. Maybe some OEM's will wise up and eliminate 16/32 GB as their base models. In an era of 720p / 1080p / 1440p, I feel 64 GB should soon be the basic model and 128 GB storage would be a mandatory minimum for me in my next phone in 2016, whether with micro-sd or not.

Smartphone news of 2015 is the year of one disappointing announcement after another. Uninspiring. OEM's seem to be going through the motions and even remain stagnant or taking a step back at functionality. I hope smartphone sales continue to drop this year and give OEM's a wakeup call.

Reactions: nviz22

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Apple has its fair share of problems past and present. The difference between Samsung and them is speed. Carriers really slow down updates. Google does hamper some too because of their restrictions they want or holding back bad software, but they're not bad. Motorola will help change the carrier reliability. Apple is a danger to carriers because their phones typically don't turn much profit and they want to cut out the standard nano sim for their own tech to control how people n switch carriers w/o needing to swap sims. It's a double edge sword really.

As for the camera, it's still a quality sensor. I love the i6+ camera. It may not bas good as my old S6 Edge or the Note 4 I might keep. I was able to take a bunch of photos at a wedding with more ease than others with "better sensors." Software and hardware need to flow harmoniously. Samsung did that in the S6/S6E.

Well, not sure how you can state that the iPhone does not turn much profit, considering it is THE ONLY device that is making the richest company in the world the richest company in the world. Think you need to elaborate on that one.
I was also going to show how poor Apple's software updates are, but this is not the thread.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
People can we stop this being another argumentative Apple vs Samsung thread. That discussion has been had a myriad times and it will never be settled as mostly based on subjective opinion based on individual worth, ideology. It's a futile discussion and one that can be had elsewhere.

This is a thread about the Note 5. If you want to talk about Apple, there are more than enough threads on this Apple based forum where you can do that.

So please enough .... Get back on track before a mod has to come in, lock the thread and do a spring clean.

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Well, not sure how you can state that the iPhone does not turn much profit, considering it is THE ONLY device that is making the richest company in the world the richest company in the world. Think you need to elaborate on that one.
I was also going to show how poor Apple's software updates are, but this is not the thread.

Well, there was discussion on how Sprint was going to lose money for years by selling iPhones when they first earned the rights. As a former Best Buy Mobile employee, the company hardly made anything on iphone sales. They had to bundle up stuff to truly make money through their insurance plans and accesories. Apple turns profits on them, but it doesn't mean carriers always will.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/26/technology/sprint_results/

http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/08/technology/iphone_carrier_subsidy/

Software updates can be terrible and be corrected quickly. That's what Apple does since they make the phone, design the OS, and provide updates. No carrier involvement in sending the OS with bloat ware. Only Apple has their own bloat ware which is relatively minimal.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I want to enjoy best of both worlds. Never thought I would go back but I have missed certain things

How are you finding that? I have an Air 2 and I'm planning on getting an S6 or Note 5 in October just to try Android out. What's your experience so far? Anything that I should know?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
How are you finding that? I have an Air 2 and I'm planning on getting an S6 or Note 5 in October just to try Android out. What's your experience so far? Anything that I should know?

If you want the better of the two devices, the Note traditionally has better battery life and more features. If you want to try out android without breaking the bank, the Moto G is a good device w/o hassles. Samsung is traditionally known for features and bogged down software.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think the biggest thing returning to apple is the difference in the software. Apple do have a better user experience when it comes to smoothness.

Even my S6 edge has times where it doesn't respond like it should be. It's amazing how quick things are

On Samsung you have so many great features but you will notice a difference user experience wise

Reactions: MRU

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Except you miss the fact that, despite "lower specs" Apple often utilizes higher quality internals.

Case-in-point, an iPhone 6 and a Samsung Galaxy S6 on the same carrier network in the same room. iPhone gets 4 bars, Samsung gets 2. Betting cellular chip in the iPhone.

your kidding if you go by how many bars you have right? the new iPhone 6s that is not even out yet is rumored to have the same exact modem of the galaxy S5 from last year.

Samsung leads the industry in modem tech and antenna research.it's also the reason they have the lowest radiation out there

just lol at the signal bar lol. did you know Samsung uses multiple bands to make up for signal strength and can do upstream and downstream on different bands to take advantage of the best possible case scenario.

you talk about single thread performance then why does the gs6 open ANY app faster then any iPhone with it's slower single thread advantage? btw the exynos 7240 in the gs6 matches the iPhone 6 single thread performance and absolutely dominates it in multi thread.

ps the Linux based android kernel takes full advantage of multI cores and spreada the tasks through all the cores at the SAME time for max performance and max efficiency at the same time adjusting the clocks and voltage straps on the fly depending the load on the cpu.

my gs5 got 100mb download lte-a band 4 and band 17 30mb upload last year.the iPhone 6s will finally be able to do that when it comes out late this year.

Screenshot_2015-03-08-15-33-20.png

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Motorola has the best signal for android devices. Blackberry is probably than Samsung too. Remember, speed isn't everything. Look at the dBs under phone status and run constant objective benchmarks to get accurate results.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Motorola has the best signal for android devices. Blackberry is probably than Samsung too. Remember, speed isn't everything. Look at the dBs under phone status and run constant objective benchmarks to get accurate results.

it's not just the dB it's the band it's usung. of course xlte at 1700mhz is going to have worse signal strength then 700mhz but the bandwidth is almost 4x better.

moto has great signal strength and us also one of the worst brands in cell phone radiation and sar rating

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Only way I can consider the Note 5;

- Bring back the awesome beastly battery life the Note line used to be known for like the Note 2 at the time. That means the Note 5 needs at least a 3600mAh sized, battery, would love to see them go 3900mAh.

- Allow rooting and unlocked bootloader as easy and simple as HTC allows and makes it.

- Tone down Touchwiz even more. Allow stock Samsung and Google apps to be permanently deleted if wanted and removed from the phone by the user.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
If you want the better of the two devices, the Note traditionally has better battery life and more features. If you want to try out android without breaking the bank, the Moto G is a good device w/o hassles. Samsung is traditionally known for features and bogged down software.

Thanks, but the Moto G doesn't really sound very appealing. Two things that I care about, AMOLED and fingerprint scanner, aren't present in the Moto G. Samsung has apparently gotten much better with TouchWiz, and I'll probably take the extra features as a plus. Also some other things, like design, camera and screen resolution have been taken into account.
Very good price, but I would probably rather spend the extra money, which by the way won't be as much as you think, as Sammy are reportedly dropping the price on the S6.
I would take the Note, but price difference is a major consideration. If it's £80 or less, I think I'll go for it. If not, I'll probably take the S6

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I think the biggest thing returning to apple is the difference in the software. Apple do have a better user experience when it comes to smoothness.

Even my S6 edge has times where it doesn't respond like it should be. It's amazing how quick things are

On Samsung you have so many great features but you will notice a difference user experience wise

Ok thanks. The main reason I'm looking at an Android phone is because of customisation and the ability to integrate third-party tweaks. Thanks for the heads-up though.
So would you say that the combination of Galaxy S6/Note 5 and iPad Air 2 is good?

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Yeah that's why you can't multi screen on a 1gb Apple device. Apple doesn't make products beyond pure specs, rather they 1) make whatever the market will bear, ie what consumers will pay for and 2) have to tailor (dumb down) their OS to match the weak hardware specs. That 2nd point is where apple loyalists will jump in and say that they are providing something beyond specs. iOS from day one was an OS designed around hardware limitations, and that glaringly shows today with other mobile OS' out there.

Samsung has indeed been about cheap ugly plastic, I'll add to that I think Samsung hardware is junk. I've had so many hardware issues over the years with Samsung, but with Apple I have very very few hardware issues. Software is also a sore point, touchwiz can run like crap, even on something as insanely specced as the Note 4. iOS runs great on the iPhone, not perfect, but great, with the caveat of things like low RAM and reloading web pages and apps not really multi tasking but being frozen in the background.

About SD cards, I disagree. What happens when you want to record video in 4k and don't have a wireless connection? Lets see how long your 128gb lasts you with the OS, apps and consumables installed.

Android is the poor man's OS because Apple has positioned itself as a luxury brand, and consumers have eaten it up. Although fashion is like that, a shirt that costs 50 cents to make in China sells for a hundred bucks here because of the name on the tag. Samsung is trying to position itself as a luxury brand, but it's too little too late. I'm also not seeing anyone match Apple's hardware, quality, fit and finish, nobody. Add to that Apple's customer service, just thje ability to walk into an APple store and get help versus sending your Samsung phone to Texas and waiting a month before maybe having it fixed is insanely powerful.
You may have a point with the poor man's OS, as insulting as it may be.... But that perception is quickly evaporating.

ios devices sale the strongest to the game groups of upper 20s +. We were around when the iphone came about and it's grip on the older generations hasn't loosened.

But more and more of the younger crowd are using androids. It won't remain a "poor mans" OS for long.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
your kidding if you go by how many bars you have right? the new iPhone 6s that is not even out yet is rumored to have the same exact modem of the galaxy S5 from last year.

Samsung leads the industry in modem tech and antenna research.it's also the reason they have the lowest radiation out there

just lol at the signal bar lol. did you know Samsung uses multiple bands to make up for signal strength and can do upstream and downstream on different bands to take advantage of the best possible case scenario.

you talk about single thread performance then why does the gs6 open ANY app faster then any iPhone with it's slower single thread advantage? btw the exynos 7240 in the gs6 matches the iPhone 6 single thread performance and absolutely dominates it in multi thread.

ps the Linux based android kernel takes full advantage of multI cores and spreada the tasks through all the cores at the SAME time for max performance and max efficiency at the same time adjusting the clocks and voltage straps on the fly depending the load on the cpu.

my gs5 got 100mb download lte-a band 4 and band 17 30mb upload last year.the iPhone 6s will finally be able to do that when it comes out late this year.

View attachment 572576

My Note 4's (Ive owned 7 of them) consistently drop calls in full reception areas, and I've noticed the earpiece and microphone aren't as clear as the iPhones, in fact I'd go so far as to say the Note 4 earpiece kind of sucks. I'm not saying the dropped calls happen often or even every day, but often enough that I notice it, especially added up with all the other hardware issues I have on this phone.

In my house I only get one bar for AT&T, my iPhones would all hang on to that bar and make calls no matter what. My Note 4 usually makes the call, but sometimes it doesn't and fails. I get weird errors like random text or MMS messages which constantly fail until I'm in a better reception area. Don't even get me started on how WiFi and cellular can't even hand off to each other consistently. With the terrible GPS hardware I can't get a GPS signal leaving my house and getting in the car, my N4 can't triangulate my position because it's still connected to a WiFi signal that is too weak to transmit data, but refuses to switch over to cellular. So I literally have NO GPS at all until I'm about 4 or 5 miles away from my house, well that's unless my Note 4 decides to cling onto the Edge network instead of LTE because the signal is weak leaving my house, and when it clings onto Edge that lasts until I turn cellular off then on again or reboot.

Let me clarify, I'm a HUGE Samsung fan, I think the NOte series is incredible and head and shoulders above the competition. But Samsung has some serious hardware and software/OS issues that they really need to address before they are up the quality of Apple. I'm also NOT an Apple fan, finding their OS too primitive for my uses. But sometimes the decision is if I want to tinker with a cool and complex OS, or if I just want my calls, texts and GPS to simply work and I hate having to make that choice.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
My Note 4's (Ive owned 7 of them) consistently drop calls in full reception areas, and I've noticed the earpiece and microphone aren't as clear as the iPhones, in fact I'd go so far as to say the Note 4 earpiece kind of sucks. I'm not saying the dropped calls happen often or even every day, but often enough that I notice it, especially added up with all the other hardware issues I have on this phone.

In my house I only get one bar for AT&T, my iPhones would all hang on to that bar and make calls no matter what. My Note 4 usually makes the call, but sometimes it doesn't and fails. I get weird errors like random text or MMS messages which constantly fail until I'm in a better reception area. Don't even get me started on how WiFi and cellular can't even hand off to each other consistently. With the terrible GPS hardware I can't get a GPS signal leaving my house and getting in the car, my N4 can't triangulate my position because it's still connected to a WiFi signal that is too weak to transmit data, but refuses to switch over to cellular. So I literally have NO GPS at all until I'm about 4 or 5 miles away from my house, well that's unless my Note 4 decides to cling onto the Edge network instead of LTE because the signal is weak leaving my house, and when it clings onto Edge that lasts until I turn cellular off then on again or reboot.

Let me clarify, I'm a HUGE Samsung fan, I think the NOte series is incredible and head and shoulders above the competition. But Samsung has some serious hardware and software/OS issues that they really need to address before they are up the quality of Apple. I'm also NOT an Apple fan, finding their OS too primitive for my uses. But sometimes the decision is if I want to tinker with a cool and complex OS, or if I just want my calls, texts and GPS to simply work and I hate having to make that choice.

I can't speak from your note 4 because att is gsm and my samsungs on verizon run CDMA modems and are not comparable.the only thing I recommend is going into service mode and manually select a band that you know works best.it sounds like your in a weak spot and the phone is always bouncing on different bands and standards

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.