Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
That would be awesome to see. No home/FP button but a small part of the screen that can be both. I don't why Samsung can't make the capacitive button switchable now. It can't be that hard a thing to do. Most other vendors like Huawei will let you switch the software buttons in any order you want them to be in.

Yep. Samsung should not be afraid to ditch the physical home button. Hopefully they're planning something for the Note 6, or at the latest, the S8.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Doesn't the Gear VR use MicroUSB? Would mean either Note 6 customers are left out or more likely, they'd have to shell out for a new USB-C version of the Gear VR.
yep! That sucks! all the free Gear VRs that were given out would not work on the Note 6. But maybe the new GVR would have a better playback because of the USB type C as well?
But I also think the Note 6 buyers are not the target audience for the GVR?

Reactions: Demo Kit

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
yep! That sucks! all the free Gear VRs that were given out would not work on the Note 6. But maybe the new GVR would have a better playback because of the USB type C as well?
But I also think the Note 6 buyers are not the target audience for the GVR?

Maybe but wasn't didn't the original Gear VR only work a Note?

Regardless, they're going to have to switch to USB-C at some point so gonna have to rip that bandage off sometime. ;)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Maybe but wasn't didn't the original Gear VR only work a Note?

Regardless, they're going to have to switch to USB-C at some point so gonna have to rip that bandage off sometime. ;)
Tbh I don't know if the original note had GVR access or not sorry.
I have mixed feelings about the whole USB C thing. Pita to carry yet another cable around. I hope the cable makers get theor stuff together and follow the standard to make them all safe to use.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Tbh I don't know if the original note had GVR access or not sorry.
I have mixed feelings about the whole USB C thing. Pita to carry yet another cable around. I hope the cable makers get theor stuff together and follow the standard to make them all safe to use.
Yeah, the original VR only worked with the Note 4.

I also don't think it'll be that big a problem replacing the Gear VR, most people who got the S7/S7 Edge and received the free gear VR won't be upgrading to the Note 6. Only us crazy people will spend that kind of money to upgrade so quickly.

Reactions: Demo Kit and jamezr

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
The Note 6 will be a no brainer for me. Was gonna keep that S7 Edge, but it would be pointless with the Note 6. So promised my S7 Edge to a family member as a BDay gift. I think this is the first time someone doesn't mind getting a used item as a gift. Lol

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The Note 6 will be a no brainer for me. Was gonna keep that S7 Edge, but it would be pointless with the Note 6. So promised my S7 Edge to a family member as a BDay gift. I think this is the first time someone doesn't mind getting a used item as a gift. Lol
It's a tough one...I'm sure when the note 6 comes out I will want that even though I have just bought the S7 edge. However I know having both might be abit pointless. As no matter what I'm keeping my 6s plus for my podcasts, iMessage and it syncing with all my devices so I would need to choose between note 6 and edge but I do love the thought of the edge panels over the bigger model...

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
It's a tough one...I'm sure when the note 6 comes out I will want that even though I have just bought the S7 edge. However I know having both might be abit pointless. As no matter what I'm keeping my 6s plus for my podcasts, iMessage and it syncing with all my devices so I would need to choose between note 6 and edge but I do love the thought of the edge panels over the bigger model...
Yeah, I don't see the point of carrying both either. I will decide when they announce it if I'm giving up my edge for the note 6, but just going by past experiences will most likely preorder the note and sell the edge.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Dang, not really wanting to buy another VR headset......

Oh well, I know I probably will :)

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Really curious if Samsung will be the first (that I can think of) to have USB C and wireless charging.

Wow that's weird to think about. I think every phone released this year has had USB-C apart from Samsung. That means it's also the only phone to have wireless charging. It seems to be becoming less accepted.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
6gb seems like overkill and I still do not believe the rumours of an edge model.

The S7 & S7e are working fine with 4gb (no excessive app reloading or memory issues) and Note software isn't anything more demanding than the edge models TW, so 6gb just seems excessive. Like its there to make a statement (going after the bigger = better) rather than 'need'. Unless Samsung intend to bloat up TW on the N6.

I personally would prefer if they go 4gb and make an even greater concerted effort to reduce TW demands. That would be something to be proud of, not just chasing the bigger number route we have seen so many times before ...

Running the spec race has never been an indicator of good end user experience. Something I wish all Android manufacturers would adopt as a Mantra, rather than the "bigger must equal better" route some of them are still on.

Last edited:
Reactions: stealth.pilot

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
6gb seems like overkill and I still do not believe the rumours of an edge model.

The S7 & S7e are working fine with 4gb (no excessive app reloading or memory issues) and Note software isn't anything more demanding than the edge models TW, so 6gb just seems excessive. Like its there to make a statement (going after the bigger = better) rather than 'need'. Unless Samsung intend to bloat up TW on the N6.

I personally would prefer if they go 4gb and make an even greater concerted effort to reduce TW demands. That would be something to be proud of, not just chasing the bigger number route we have seen so many times before ...

Running the spec race has never been an indicator of good end user experience. Something I wish all Android manufacturers would adopt as a Mantra, rather than the "bigger must equal better" route some of them are still on.
i tend to agree with you on the overkill factor. I do think they are adding ti just to fill the spec sheet tbh.
But it does sound like one hell of a phone. Then add in rumored camera improvements over the S7 and the Note 6 will be a beast of a phone.
[doublepost=1462364595][/doublepost]
edge version so just a bigger S7 edge? overall though it does sound amazing.
yes it does...i wonder if the edge model will have a stylus?

Reactions: Demo Kit and MRU

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I'll skip it as the new iPhones and Nexus devices will be out shortly after and I'd rather those than upgrading my S7e
130.gif

uh huh!

Reactions: MRU
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.