Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
The S3 and Note2 have better screens than the iphone5 or any other ips screen. I don't care what anandtech or all the pro's say. They have no idea what they are talking about.

Colors are more vibrant and lively, black is pitch black, everything looks just greater on amoled. The stradivarius is the most sought after instrument in the entire world. Its also super imperfect. Tube amplifiers heavily distorts sounds yet they are highly sought after by audiophiles. How do you explain that?

I really don't care what a bunch of phony bloggers say. I asked all my buddies and everyone is unanimous about screen quality. I don't care if its unrealistic. Everything on my phone looks unrealistic anyway. Just a bunch of icons, text and graphics in a virtual world.

Dude, I'm a galaxy s3 user and the only thing about the screen on this phone that's needed than the iphone 5 is the size!

It's one thing to like something more than the other, it's all preference, but to say that screen is better than the iphone IS insane.

Only screen better is the droid DNA.

Apple has some of the best screens out.

This from an android (phone) guy.

Tablets m I'm Apple all day, but phones? Android.

But Apple still has a better screen

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Dude, I'm a galaxy s3 user and the only thing about the screen on this phone that's needed than the iphone 5 is the size!

It's one thing to like something more than the other, it's all preference, but to say that screen is better than the iphone IS insane.

Only screen better is the droid DNA.

Apple has some of the best screens out.

This from an android (phone) guy.

Tablets m I'm Apple all day, but phones? Android.

But Apple still has a better screen

The HTC One X has a beautiful screen, reviews still call it one of, if not the best smartphone screen of 2012. And the DNA tops that. I would say iPhone 5 screen is 3rd best, with the DNA #1...One X #2...iPhone 5 #3...and then the Samsung phones in 4th place.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
I love how all the Android lovers come to an Apple 1st Forum, and tout how great their device is. It makes me laugh that they come here to justify their purchase and talk about features that are irrelevant to most of us. I will start calling the Android Salesmen. lol.

You do realise you dont have to own an iPhone to use this site?

This site is called MacRumours and caters for

Apple TV
iPod
iPad
iPhone
MacBooks

etc

So its possible to own:

Apple TV & Android
iPod & Android
iPad & Android
MacBook & Android

:rolleyes:

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
You do realise you dont have to own an iPhone to use this site?

This site is called MacRumours and caters for

Apple TV
iPod
iPad
iPhone
MacBooks

etc

So its possible to own:

Apple TV & Android
iPod & Android
iPad & Android
MacBook & Android

Obvious isnt it?

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
I dont believe you. You guys are just saying that cause you are just copying all the pro bloggers. But most of these tech sites are highly biased towards apple anyway.

I don't know about the droid dna but samsung has the best displays in the business. The One X looks identical to the iPhone 5/4/4s. iphone's do however have unsurpassed build quality. But I still highly prefer android and even windows phone over iOS

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I dont believe you. You guys are just saying that cause you are just copying all the pro bloggers. But most of these tech sites are highly biased towards apple anyway.

I don't know about the droid dna but samsung has the best displays in the business. The One X looks identical to the iPhone 5/4/4s. iphone's do however have unsurpassed build quality. But I still highly prefer android and even windows phone over iOS

alright, then you'll be fighting a losing battle over here on these forums. just a heads up.

i personally didn't know how much one-handed operation mattered to me until I used one of the Samsung phones. then I promptly switched back to my iphone 5 after about a week and haven't looked back.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Obvious isnt it?

Well quite clearly is wasnt for yourself.... as you said:

I love how all the Android lovers come to an Apple 1st Forum, and tout how great their device is. It makes me laugh that they come here to justify their purchase and talk about features that are irrelevant to most of us. I will start calling the Android Salesmen. lol.

zybersniper

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
Instead of a S3 or Note II, the iPhone 5 and iPad mini combo is a lot better. I don't always need the bigger screen and it's a little hard to navigate with one hand when I commute. When I do need the bigger screen, I can take out the iPad mini and that's even better than the Note II's screen. With a jailbreak, I can even get multi Apps on one screen (via Quasar). Let's hope the JB community catches up!

On another note, I had a S2. The home button broke in 3 months. The microSD corrupted itself (it was a Sandisk too!) after half a year. The LCD had image retention after another month. Samsung repair takes DAYS and they don't lend you a phone. The service centre here also requires waiting about an hour too. Just like others have said, the iPhone just works. If I have a problem, they swap it for a refurb (but like new) one instantly. For some people, a phone just needs to work!

----------

Actually, most of their desktop LCDs are crap. Their notebook LCDs are atrocious, and their OLED's have serious image retention issues after prolonged use. Samsung likes to innovate LCD tech, but then they put subpar ones in their products shortly after.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Instead of a S3 or Note II, the iPhone 5 and iPad mini combo is a lot better. I don't always need the bigger screen and it's a little hard to navigate with one hand when I commute. When I do need the bigger screen, I can take out the iPad mini and that's even better than the Note II's screen. With a jailbreak, I can even get multi Apps on one screen (via Quasar). Let's hope the JB community catches up!

On another note, I had a S2. The home button broke in 3 months. The microSD corrupted itself (it was a Sandisk too!) after half a year. The LCD had image retention after another month. Samsung repair takes DAYS and they don't lend you a phone. The service centre here also requires waiting about an hour too. Just like others have said, the iPhone just works. If I have a problem, they swap it for a refurb (but like new) one instantly. For some people, a phone just needs to work!
I don't see how that combo works. Its super expensive and the iPad mini is not retina. Feel free to correct me but I think the note2 is the better tablet and doubles as a phone too. It doesn't have the build quality though

zybersniper

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
I don't see how that combo works. Its super expensive and the iPad mini is not retina. Feel free to correct me but I think the note2 is the better tablet and doubles as a phone too. It doesn't have the build quality though

It's expensive that's true. iPad mini is not retina, but for it's purposes like surfing the internet, looking at maps, watching a 720p video, retina isn't all that important. The Note II doubles as a phone but I doubt many people want to hold that to their face as a phone for prolonged periods of time.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I have both. Prefer my S3 9 out of 10 times.

Me too---Just the other way around--I can't get rid of my GSIII or Note 1 fast enough...more like 99/100 times I prefer my iPhone 5

Yup, I'm such a "fandroid" that I own thousands of dollars in Apple devices

----------

I own both also. The S3's screen is much more vibrant. Better for watching movies and such. Only metric where the iPhone 5's display is better is screen brightness.

...and color gamut, and accuracy (sRGB), contrast rating in ambient light (reading outdoors), significantly less 'reflectance', and it's definitely the better looking phone for movies--absolutely No Doubt!!! Not sure if you got a 'dud' 5, but screen-wise, in damn near every meaningful (and objective measurement, other than size) way, trumps the SIII and Note OLED displays. Sorry--just wander over to Ars, Anand, or other display sites ala displaymate--here's an excellent 'shootout' between the SIII and iPhone 5

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

The 'problem' as you mentioned...half the brightness, HALF!!! Cartoon/Comic looking photos and videos due to the OLED pentile display, too much green, premature aging of the display itself--power consumption when any other color than black is shown, less sharp text, and the complete impossibility of reading the phone outdoors, especially on a sunny day

LOL I'm a photographer and I use a CAMERA for pictures not a cellphone!!!! LOL

Good for you--I'm a photographer as well (lol, aren't we all!) but I'm not always toting my 5dIII or even my S110. I always have my iPhone, and in decently lit areas, it's absolutely excellent! Not to mention; the ability to edit, print or share directly from the phone--impossible for me to replicate with my DSLR without the iPad on hand, cam connection kit, cables--or a full blown laptop w/wireless dongle.

Regardless of how you as a photographer prefer to grab images, the public has spoken--no matter the sharing site, the iPhones are extremely popular cams with some very talented, long time (pro) photographers making pics from them that'll blow 99% of us away with our DSLRs! "It ain't the cam, it's the photographer"--you've heard this antiquated cliché, right? ;)

Seems like everyone in tech-related comments is a photographer.

No Joke!

Android is just too advanced for me to go back to something as simplistic as an iPhone.

Plus I'm able to do everything I did on the iphone and more

This always makes me laugh, 'simplistic as the iPhone'. As a true, real, and proud geek, and computer user for 30 years now...the evolution of 'simplicity' on ALL OS'es is a sign of just how powerful the underlying integration of soft and hardware is of said device. Computing shouldn't be 'advanced', especially the OS. It should be efficient, fluent and above all--intuitive! This takes a helluva lot more effort and coordination than NOT having a device that relies on the user to set up an OS/Launcher/Themes/Widgets, et al...with many of these options hampering or completely decimating battery performance. The difference between leaving WiFi/GPS on with my GSIII or Note drains my battery twice as fast as the iPhone (also with both enabled). It sucks you have to turn all of these features off (I exchanged my Note twice because I thought something was wrong after owning iPhones for three years!) just to get your phone to last the day!

As well---the apps available ALL work on iOS devices, regardless whether you're using a 3 year old iPhone or the latest iPad. Not so with the Play Store---half the apps 'see' the Note as a tablet, so they're non-functional....and I've owned the Xoom since release. While the Play store has an abundance of Apps---the App Store for iOS has so much better of a selection for polished, well designed with excellent performance---especially if you look outside the Netflix, Evernote and Dropbox apps. Photo editing, videography, anything to do with music and/or audio production...excellent 'office' apps with the iWork suite, the list for excellent game titles is HUGE, not to mention immediate update availability to OS updates as soon as they release---and lastly I wanted to mention---Customer Support! HUGE victory to Apple here...have you ever tried to get a Sammy phone fixed? I have and what an absolute Nightmare!!!

LOL the I'm a photographer comments are so funny :D

The day I see a potential client not hiring me because the sample pics on my phone are ''over saturated'', I think I'll faint of laughter.

Anyways, if you don't like the saturation on the S3, you can just turn if off by setting it to standard in the settings. BOOM over saturation gone.

And try the screen on the One X/X+ and the DNA, these phones literally took my breath away with their screens.

----------

Even the iPhone gets buggy after a while, so do Macs and PCs, just a sad reality.

Macs don't get 'buggy' after a while---PCs, yes. You can't 'turn off' the OLED faults. Sure. You can standardize saturation levels...and looking at you site, it looks like you know what you're doing in PP. You're using a monitor for editing, right? So you're definitely aware of the photographic limitations of OLED?

Why are you here? Why the need for self-justification? Why not go to an Android forum? Your responses have nothing to do with switching from GSIII to the iPhone 5!

It is funny---however, as an Android owner myself, you quickly fin out how 'inactive' most of the Android forums are...they're boring, little activity, and much, MUCH less involved than MR... I think what we are seeing here, at MR, are those Android owners that are ready to make the move to iOS:) Or juvenile, Samsung 'plants' attempting to sway iOS users.

J

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Just because screens are bigger doesn't mean they are good quality. I have both the iPhone 5 and SIII. The problem with the SIII display is that the colors are over saturated where with the iPhone they are more realistic. That's the price Samsung pays for going with a OLED display.

This is the problem with S3. Obviously Samsung engineers love over saturated color but I thought there's a way to change color scheme on Android OS. Can't you turn down saturation in the screen settings?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
phone like the Galaxy S3 are very good size wise and it's why it's always tempting thinking of having one as it is bigger than the 5 but the more i need the bigger screen i just use the ipad for my internet needs.problem solved.

don't know about anybody else but the notifications from twitter are huge for me..something you don't get on android.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Me too---Just the other way around--I can't get rid of my GSIII or Note 1 fast enough...more like 99/100 times I prefer my iPhone 5

...and color gamut, and accuracy (sRGB), contrast rating in ambient light (reading outdoors), significantly less 'reflectance', and it's definitely the better looking phone for movies--absolutely No Doubt!!! Not sure if you got a 'dud' 5, but screen-wise, in damn near every meaningful (and objective measurement, other than size) way, trumps the SIII and Note OLED displays. Sorry--just wander over to Ars, Anand, or other display sites ala displaymate--here's an excellent 'shootout' between the SIII and iPhone 5

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

The 'problem' as you mentioned...half the brightness, HALF!!! Cartoon/Comic looking photos and videos due to the OLED pentile display, too much green, premature aging of the display itself--power consumption when any other color than black is shown, less sharp text, and the complete impossibility of reading the phone outdoors, especially on a sunny day

Good for you--I'm a photographer as well (lol, aren't we all!) but I'm not always toting my 5dIII or even my S110. I always have my iPhone, and in decently lit areas, it's absolutely excellent! Not to mention; the ability to edit, print or share directly from the phone--impossible for me to replicate with my DSLR without the iPad on hand, cam connection kit, cables--or a full blown laptop w/wireless dongle.

Regardless of how you as a photographer prefer to grab images, the public has spoken--no matter the sharing site, the iPhones are extremely popular cams with some very talented, long time (pro) photographers making pics from them that'll blow 99% of us away with our DSLRs! "It ain't the cam, it's the photographer"--you've heard this antiquated cliché, right? ;)

No Joke!

This always makes me laugh, 'simplistic as the iPhone'. As a true, real, and proud geek, and computer user for 30 years now...the evolution of 'simplicity' on ALL OS'es is a sign of just how powerful the underlying integration of soft and hardware is of said device. Computing shouldn't be 'advanced', especially the OS. It should be efficient, fluent and above all--intuitive! This takes a helluva lot more effort and coordination than NOT having a device that relies on the user to set up an OS/Launcher/Themes/Widgets, et al...with many of these options hampering or completely decimating battery performance. The difference between leaving WiFi/GPS on with my GSIII or Note drains my battery twice as fast as the iPhone (also with both enabled). It sucks you have to turn all of these features off (I exchanged my Note twice because I thought something was wrong after owning iPhones for three years!) just to get your phone to last the day!

As well---the apps available ALL work on iOS devices, regardless whether you're using a 3 year old iPhone or the latest iPad. Not so with the Play Store---half the apps 'see' the Note as a tablet, so they're non-functional....and I've owned the Xoom since release. While the Play store has an abundance of Apps---the App Store for iOS has so much better of a selection for polished, well designed with excellent performance---especially if you look outside the Netflix, Evernote and Dropbox apps. Photo editing, videography, anything to do with music and/or audio production...excellent 'office' apps with the iWork suite, the list for excellent game titles is HUGE, not to mention immediate update availability to OS updates as soon as they release---and lastly I wanted to mention---Customer Support! HUGE victory to Apple here...have you ever tried to get a Sammy phone fixed? I have and what an absolute Nightmare!!!

Macs don't get 'buggy' after a while---PCs, yes. You can't 'turn off' the OLED faults. Sure. You can standardize saturation levels...and looking at you site, it looks like you know what you're doing in PP. You're using a monitor for editing, right? So you're definitely aware of the photographic limitations of OLED?

Why are you here? Why the need for self-justification? Why not go to an Android forum? Your responses have nothing to do with switching from GSIII to the iPhone 5!

It is funny---however, as an Android owner myself, you quickly fin out how 'inactive' most of the Android forums are...they're boring, little activity, and much, MUCH less involved than MR... I think what we are seeing here, at MR, are those Android owners that are ready to make the move to iOS:) Or juvenile, Samsung 'plants' attempting to sway iOS users.

J

If you've been into computers for the past 30 years, I don't know how you could say that Macs don't get buggy. Regardless of the OS, you will encounter bugs. What do you think the software updates are for? They're not just enhancements.

Everyone's definition of 'advanced' seems to vary. When I think of Android being 'advanced', I think of the ability to customize and tinker around with certain aspects of the OS. Not everyone is going to SSH into their phone or use the terminal, but even if they did, they at least would have the option for Android. By default, Android is very user friendly. You have the ability to turn on Developer mode or root your phone, but nobody is pointing a gun to your head to do so. Even without having your Android device rooted, you can't argue that Android lets you manipulate more of the OS to your liking compared to the iPhone. Once again, this is a choice, and PLENTY are fine leaving Android the way it came installed on their phone.
I don't think it's fair to bash Android on being overly complex because it's pretty damn straightforward until someone chooses to tinker with the functionality. You mention operating systems shouldn't be advanced, but why give the users the choice? Once again, Android is perfectly fine out of the box; don't fault Android for giving users the ability to customize to their liking.

If I were able to customize my iPhone, I'd have multitasking disabled, BiteSMS installed over the Messaging app, and stock applications removed. I don't have that option until a jailbreak comes out. If I were able to do all this from the get go, I sure as hell would have done so already.

To conclude, Android gives you the ability to mess with your settings, but even out of the box it is pretty damn good. Don't fault the operating system for being overly complex because that's all dependent on the user.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
My 2 cents on the iPhone and it's screen

It's overrated

If HTC, Samsung or anyone else wanted to, they could 'cheat' and stuff a high res screen into a tiny 4 inch screen. They, however, choose to put a bigger screen in their phones because that's what the market wants.

Fact of the matter is, come April, the S4 will have a 1080p display, and the iPhone 5, and the iPhone 5S will have a screen that cant even scrape out a 720p image

Last edited by a moderator:

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY

It's overrated

If HTC, Samsung or anyone else wanted to, they could 'cheat' and stuff a high res screen into a tiny 4 inch screen. They, however, choose to put a bigger screen in their phones because that's what the market wants.

Fact of the matter is, come April, the S4 will have a 1080p display, and the iPhone 5, and the iPhone 5S will have a screen that cant even scrape out a 720p image
doesn't really matter when the screens now adays have high pixel density. you could put a 2340x1079 on a 4.8 inch and it wouldn't make a difference. I'm guessing your an android fanboy then? people are funny calling other people fanboys when they are themselves lol.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY

It's overrated

Wow, that's shocking seeing as this is an APPLE forum.

Everyone has their own opinion and that's fine. That said, I'll go with the professionals when they state the iPhone 5 screen is the overall better product.

And great, when the S4 comes out it SHOULD have a better screen. Problem is, how "great" of a screen do you really need for a screen on a 4-5 inch device? I mean, I don't believe the human eye can actually distinguish above a certain level. And IMHO the iPhone 5 screen is excellent.

Let's face it. Most SG3 users are happy with their phone. Most iPhone 5 users are happy with their phone. To each his own. I guess I don't really understand the constant bickering between people who own the phones. I guess everyone needs to feel that their phone is the "best" or "better" than the other guys. All I care about is that I like my iPhone 5 and it works great and does everything I need.

M

Mr.damien

Yup, I'm such a "fandroid" that I own thousands of dollars in Apple devices

----------

I own both also. The S3's screen is much more vibrant. Better for watching movies and such. Only metric where the iPhone 5's display is better is screen brightness.

Color vibrant is for jacky.
Color accuracy is for pro.

----------

Android is just too advanced for me to go back to something as simplistic as an iPhone.

The iOS apps are just too advanced for me to even try something as messy and amateurist as Android Apps.

Don't want to wait for ever that one of the Biggest Hit on iOS get ported on Android after 2 years. Don't want to wait that real time audio work correctly on Android. Don't want to wait for an equivalent of iWork and iLife on Android tablet too.

Android is all about OS customization, iOS is all about professional and advanced Apps.

I am an App User, not an OS User ...

The OS is just the link between you and the Apps you use.

Godf1st

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2012
The HTC One X has a beautiful screen, reviews still call it one of, if not the best smartphone screen of 2012. And the DNA tops that. I would say iPhone 5 screen is 3rd best, with the DNA #1...One X #2...iPhone 5 #3...and then the Samsung phones in 4th place.

I'll agree with that list on screens. Haven't really seen the DNA at use, but definitely htc makes the best cell phone screens to date, because the DNA is a htc product

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I had all the iphones... Still have the 4s and 5, also have a Galaxy Nexus, and the latest Nexus 4... I just can't seem to put the Nexus 4 down... I really love both platform. When i get bored of ios i use android vice versa. But i won't lie lately ios as been more than boring, i hope ios 7 will fix things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.