Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Seeing as it has been confirmed to have the S6 edge with two sided curved.

any interest in this?

I am interested...but I have concerns. the dual edge screen sounds nice. But how will that translate into real life use and ergonomics? I mean is there going to be a ton of false touches if you grip the phone as one would normally do.
If they have that solved...I all in! :)
But I would need to see it in person and test it out a bunch!

Reactions: Tech With Rick

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Has it been confirmed or is it just still rumours? The only leaks for the edge were case leak by Spigen and they point to one side edge only. Other than that which is tangible evidence, other stuff has just been speculation reported as fact.

I'll believe it when I see it. I remain very skeptical tbh.

That being said, I can't see how two edges are going to make a device very ergonomic especially as it opens up possibility of lots of accidental screen presses.

However at least it's better for lefties than the Note 4 edge which means everything goes upside down (home button on top) when using it left handed.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I still don't understand the benefits of having those side displays....

Screams solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Also feels like a stab at something different for the sake of being different.

Feel free to enlighten me though.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Whether or not it's useful NOW is not the reason for bringing out tech like this. We all talk about wanting edge to edge displays, well this is as edge to edge as it gets. I look at it as a new design language, with the potential for functionality. Hardware needs to advance to let software developers stretch their legs. If OEMs don't bring out new form factors, we'll be looking at the same old rectangular slabs forever.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Whether or not it's useful NOW is not the reason for bringing out tech like this. We all talk about wanting edge to edge displays, well this is as edge to edge as it gets. I look at it as a new design language, with the potential for functionality. Hardware needs to advance to let software developers stretch their legs. If OEMs don't bring out new form factors, we'll be looking at the same old rectangular slabs forever.

To a degree, I agree with your point.

But at the same time, releasing something just to do so seems dumb. Again, what problem do displays like this solve?

I don't believe in products for the sake of products - if there is a solution to a problem through this product, ok.

But I fail to see how this type of design enhances the smartphone experience or brings about a solution to a problem in any way....

Again, feel free to enlighten me.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014

But at the same time, releasing something just to do so seems dumb. Again, what problem do displays like this solve?

I don't believe in products for the sake of products - if there is a solution to a problem through this product, ok.

But I fail to see how this type of design enhances the smartphone experience or brings about a solution to a problem in any way....

Designs don't always have to enhance an experience functionally. Visually it looks cool and hi-tech. That means marketing bonanza and differentiating from other devices. For now that'll do. I'm not creative enough of a person or software designer to see the possibilities. But I am a consumer that loves cool looking gadgets. So if the next Note is dual edge, I'm on it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

Screams solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Also feels like a stab at something different for the sake of being different.

I have not personally used any of the "edge" devices, but I have seen some input from users who own the note edge. They said a big benefit is for sport scores scrolling at the top while you are in another app, or an ever faster way to toggle to a new app. I wish I remembers which user's post I am thinking about. They listed 3/4 features that sounded pretty great.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
I have the Note Edge and accidentally opening apps or swiping Edge panels is a regular thing

With dual edges, they're gonna need some kind of software lockout on the edge panels to make that phone usable

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I have the Note Edge and accidentally opening apps or swiping Edge panels is a regular thing

With dual edges, they're gonna need some kind of software lockout on the edge panels to make that phone usable

See that is what I was concerned about. Unless they have a solution a dual edge phone is going to have a ton of accidental touches that open apps...

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels

It's just aesthetics and some marginal UI changes that are welcome but most people can do without. Notifications and the app tray that's usually at the bottom get offloaded to the Edge Panel which clear up space. Camera controls go on the panel. Stocks, sports scores, can appear on the panel plus you have a few panel apps like ruler, stopwatch, nightlight clock, etc. Niche applications like that

From experience though it's 90% aesthetics because it looks cool

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
It's just aesthetics and some marginal UI changes that are welcome but most people can do without. Notifications and the app tray that's usually at the bottom get offloaded to the Edge Panel which clear up space. Camera controls go on the panel. Stocks, sports scores, can appear on the panel plus you have a few panel apps like ruler, stopwatch, nightlight clock, etc. Niche applications like that

From experience though it's 90% aesthetics because it looks cool
Exactly...like having a all metal unibody thin phone......it doesn't add to the functionality but makes it easier to look at.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
If it's an exercise by Samsung to test manufacture and implementation of new display tech, that's fine--someone needs to push current boundaries. That being said, I have to agree with Jrswizzle that it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. All I see is an ergonomics nightmare and lots of display much more exposed to easy damage.

Not saying Samsung shouldn't offer this type of product, but rather I hope it's not the only version of the S6 available.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Looks like it will be an acirqured taste. I don't see it as something I would be missing out on yet. Then you have to worry about how cases would fit.

When I played with the Note Edge at bestbuy, the first thing I did was see how the camera controls worked on the edge screen. Let's just say, I'm more comfortable using the onscreen controls at the moment. But that's just my initial feelings.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Well this is interesting: http://www.cultofmac.com/311995/bezel-future-iphones-may-sport-wraparound-display/

Bye-bye bezel! Future iPhones may sport wraparound display

Wraparound.jpg

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I'd rather have an e-paper display on the back so I can read books, see notifications, etc without using battery or turning on the phone. Does the edge turn on independent of the main screen? I don't see the utility of this though other than stock/sports scores. I put this right up there with useless crap like curved phones.

----------

I agree. It would be like a pizza with topping on both sides and the crust around it too.

Is it just me, or does that sound delicious??~!? :cool:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

Are you new to how technology works? What is wrong with a company experimenting with technology?

It's not like they're only coming out with the edge variant. It's for people who want the added feature and maybe want to be on the cusp of cutting edge tech. What's wrong with providing these options for the tech die hards or for the niche market that may find good use out of its additional features?

How can you be a tech person and not love when new tech comes out? Even if you may not want or need it personally, or even if it doesn't succeed or "solve a problem" it's still pushing technology to new frontiers.

Your beloved apple might have filed a patent for curved displays that wrap around the iPhone.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I am interested...but I have concerns. the dual edge screen sounds nice. But how will that translate into real life use and ergonomics? I mean is there going to be a ton of false touches if you grip the phone as one would normally do.
If they have that solved...I all in! :)
But I would need to see it in person and test it out a bunch!

Same here. From what i have seen the screen just overlap over the sides so id think there would be false touches as well.
Even if there isnt, i dont see an advantage to having it overlap on the sides.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Are you new to how technology works? What is wrong with a company experimenting with technology?

It's not like they're only coming out with the edge variant. It's for people who want the added feature and maybe want to be on the cusp of cutting edge tech. What's wrong with providing these options for the tech die hards or for the niche market that may find good use out of its additional features?

How can you be a tech person and not love when new tech comes out? Even if you may not want or need it personally, or even if it doesn't succeed or "solve a problem" it's still pushing technology to new frontiers.

If Samsung makes a buck by releasing these things, then more power to them I guess. Personally I'd have been just as grateful for their development of screen tech if this had been a one-off hardware demo at a tech fair. The nonsensical implementation here honestly wouldn't make me feel that I was "on the edge of cutting edge tech" if I owned one of these things. It might just as well have been a spherical phone with the screen on the inside for all I care...

But if people want to shell out 700 bucks for one of these, why not! I guess... I'd be interested to see if Samsung in the end even breaks even on selling these things, advertising effect included.

Your beloved apple might have filed a patent for curved displays that wrap around the iPhone.

Sorry mate but the bolded part makes you sound a bit bitter :) Sure they've filed the patent but rest assured they won't make an actual retail product out of it until they have a very clear cut and practically useful implementation of it.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Since I use swipe gestures like Lazy Swipe, the Edge doesn't appeal to me. Samsung would have to implement something better for accidental presses and not something solely for flip cover users. Having two sides would add more trouble. It is why near bezel-less phones from Sharp would serve a problem to me as well since I swipe from the left and right side of the screen all the time.

Still if this is an evolution from their Galaxy Round and bridge from foldable displays that could bring back flip phones, why not? Samsung is giving us the options. I don't care for it right now. Maybe it is too ahead of its time for me. It is like onscreen keyboards or 5+ inch screens back in 2009-2011. Strange for Crackberry fans but touchscreen keyboards and bigger screens became the norm. But I am hopeful with Samsung and like where this is heading.

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
I think the edge phones are a great option. Just dont kill them Samsung by pricing. Price them at the same level as the standard S6. Yes they will cost more to produce but they will entice buyers where the standard S6 is not enough.

Samsung killed the Note edge by delaying its release and pricing it higher. Factoring depreciation of the Note 4, the Note edge ended up being amost double the cost. Not to mention you cant see it anywhere in the stores nor buy it anywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.