Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Then you bought the wrong device because the Main Reason for the edge is for the look. The Features Are Not worth it in comparison to s6.

Uhh excuse me? "You bought the wrong device"? Seriously? I wanted the Edge and I bought it. Not sure how it's any of your business. Plus if you think the features are not worth it then there are others who think otherwise. Not everyone is the same.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
After major issues last few days with lag on texting and apps..i did a reset on and off and my phone is now working fine in terms of text lag.

thank god.

Reactions: MRU

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
But the iPhone's look so ugly compared to the S6 Edge/+!!
It is a lovely looking device, I will agree nicer than the iPhone on aesthetic grounds, but the iPhone is no ugly sister IMO.

The only thing that possible lets the S6/Edge down is the Samsung brand written on the face of it. The design is strong and recognisable enough not to need it. It could get away with just having it on the back.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Edge Test - Lily the Cat

Whoa the camera on this thing is incredible. Can't wait to see how Apple will try to top this!
How is it in terms of focus reliability in sudden 'OMG MUST SHOOT THAT' situations? Even though other cameras have performed better in ideal situations, I've always found the iPhones I've owned over the years to have been far superior in those OSHIT moments which honestly make up like 75% of all the photos I take. I'm still baffled by the photo quality my 6+ manages when I literally whip it out and hold the shooter down for several seconds while sweeping around to find a workable angle, with no time to set anything up. My Note 2 and 3 would always disappoint in those situations, never managing anything even close to good focus.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
How is it in terms of focus reliability in sudden 'OMG MUST SHOOT THAT' situations? Even though other cameras have performed better in ideal situations, I've always found the iPhones I've owned over the years to have been far superior in those OSHIT moments which honestly make up like 75% of all the photos I take. I'm still baffled by the photo quality my 6+ manages when I literally whip it out and hold the shooter down for several seconds while sweeping around to find a workable angle, with no time to set anything up. My Note 2 and 3 would always disappoint in those situations, never managing anything even close to good focus.

It's very good in those situations too. Indeed the double tap home button for quick launch makes it even quicker in those precise moments. I hope Apple have a similar quick camera press (triple home button press) as its proved to be one of best features of the new Samsung devices.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
It's very good in those situations too. Indeed the double tap home button for quick launch makes it even quicker in those precise moments. I hope Apple have a similar quick camera press (triple home button press) as its proved to be one of best features of the new Samsung devices.
Yeah the double tap camera launch is one thing I'm definitely jealous of. I'm pretty good at click + slide from the lock screen to launch my camera now but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that it misses now and then.

But you're saying that the focus speed is equally good then, you're not talking about only the double tap to launch?

BTW is the Edge Plus camera = Note 5 camera?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Just power button and swipe up from the home screen and start taking pictures on IOS. Seems just as fast as double press.

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
Here's my S6 Edge with a simple clear case cover by Samsung:

IMG_0939.JPG
IMG_0968.JPG
IMG_0951.JPG
IMG_0928.JPG

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah the double tap camera launch is one thing I'm definitely jealous of. I'm pretty good at click + slide from the lock screen to launch my camera now but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that it misses now and then.

But you're saying that the focus speed is equally good then, you're not talking about only the double tap to launch?

BTW is the Edge Plus camera = Note 5 camera?

Yeah it focuses very quickly too :)

and yep S6/6Edge/Note5 & S6Edge plus are all the same.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just power button and swipe up from the home screen and start taking pictures on IOS. Seems just as fast as double press.

It's actually not as quick, often the swipe up misses and you have to do it a couple of times. Especially in situations on the beach or little bit of drizzle and damp fingers mean it doesn't read swipe fully.

It's fast generally but just not as fast as the double tap as basically you can have camera ready before you've even brought it to your viewpoint from your pocket, whereas iPhone you have to bring it into view and then swipe up. It just isn't quite as quick.

Like I say if Apple could offer a quick triple press on the home button (or double tap from lock screen) it would be cool ...

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Yeah it focuses very quickly too :)

and yep S6/6Edge/Note5 & S6Edge plus are all the same.

Thanks, that's definitely good news for Samsung! :)

It's actually not as quick, often the swipe up misses and you have to do it a couple of times. Especially in situations on the beach or little bit of drizzle and damp fingers mean it doesn't read swipe fully.

It's fast generally but just not as fast as the double tap as basically you can have camera ready before you've even brought it to your viewpoint from your pocket, whereas iPhone you have to bring it into view and then swipe up. It just isn't quite as quick.

Like I say if Apple could offer a quick triple press on the home button (or double tap from lock screen) it would be cool ...

I agree, tap + swipe means that one tiny extra action that could make things go wrong during such a crucial moment. For me what usually happens is that I leave my finger just a touch too long on the home button so that I end up on the home screen instead. Which usually means a brief moment of confusion where I try to swipe up from the app furthest down to the right where the camera icon sits on the lock screen, so that I end up opening Safari instead... I guess it's a good thing that the fingerprint reader is so fast but in this case it's a touch too fast even :p

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

A double tap will essentially bring up Siri if enabled. A triple tap is too slow. This is one of these differences that will probably remain in the category, how many angels can fit on the head of a pin?

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Sorry but those cases look awful. Samsung go to all that trouble to design a nice looking phone (at last) and then people put these cheap looking cases on them. I guess its nothing new when you look at the cases put on iPhones but why not just buy a cheap mid range phone?

The only way iPhones and the Edge should be used is naked even with no screen protector.
I've seen better cases so I agree there but I don't use mine naked because it is slippery with the glass back and being so thin. Samsung made a nice looking device but imo a glass back is a horrible choice.

Reactions: sunking101

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
This was definitely an OMG moment as I missed grabbed the phone out of my pocket to photograph Lily. As you can see, it focused wonderfully.

Cat owners know how difficult it can be to get a good clear shot ;)

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
A double tap will essentially bring up Siri if enabled. A triple tap is too slow. This is one of these differences that will probably remain in the category, how many angels can fit on the head of a pin?

On iOS 9, double press of the home button from a locked device now brings up Apple Pay. Haven't checked if that can be toggled off or not.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
Slight concern...

So i've pre-ordered the 64GB version of the edge + and the bloke in the 3 store on Friday told me that I would able to pick it up this Friday (on the 4th).

However, If I go on the 3 website, it says the 32GB model is available from the 4th and the 64GB model is available from the 11th.

I tweeted 3 and they told me that if the bloke said you can have it on the Friday, then you can have it on the Friday.

Why do I get the distinct impression that I'm going to turn up on Friday and they'll either tell me my phone isn't in, or they'll give me a 32GB model?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Slight concern...

So i've pre-ordered the 64GB version of the edge + and the bloke in the 3 store on Friday told me that I would able to pick it up this Friday (on the 4th).

However, If I go on the 3 website, it says the 32GB model is available from the 4th and the 64GB model is available from the 11th.

I tweeted 3 and they told me that if the bloke said you can have it on the Friday, then you can have it on the Friday.

Why do I get the distinct impression that I'm going to turn up on Friday and they'll either tell me my phone isn't in, or they'll give me a 32GB model?

I assume they'll likely have some stock of the 64gb for those who pre-ordered/registered. Fingers crossed anyway.

Reactions: nickchallis92
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.