Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The good one trick off unstalling and downloading has done the trick. Noticed stock weather doesn't work on nova

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Hope you have everything up and running on your S6 edge, The Game :)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Hope you have everything up and running on your S6 edge, The Game :)
Yes thanks

Got everything from my note now on the edge. Certainly loving it. Finger print scanner has been great so far

Used the night clock last night and only lost about 9% overnight.

Battery life so far been fine in standby.

16 hours total with 53% left. This is my first charge too so I'm sure it could get better

Reactions: LadyX

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
One other thing I was going to use chrome but wow the stock browser is lighten quick and if it's better for battery life I may stick with stock browser

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
One other thing I was going to use chrome but wow the stock browser is lighten quick and if it's better for battery life I may stick with stock browser

If your monitoring app ram usage and open say same page in chrome and stock browser - you will find Chrome runs normally 100mb higher / greater than stock browser.

That for me was my main reason to stick with stock and actually uninstall chrome.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If your monitoring app ram usage and open say same page in chrome and stock browser - you will find Chrome runs normally 100mb higher / greater than stock browser.

That for me was my main reason to stick with stock and actually uninstall chrome.
I think stock on my note 4 and 12.2 it's fairly slow but on the edge it's so quick. So think I may stick with stock on my edge.

Just annoying how chrome takes up battery life

Reactions: MRU

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Now that I'm all set up in decided to set up and give touchwiz a try. Still using 4 x 4 format and my widgets are fine even if a bit small. Luckily I wasn't aware how you could add as many home screens as you want now. This is new..thought there was only 8

So will give touchwiz a go I reckon for abit

I do like the bigger icons compared to nova

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Now that I'm all set up in decided to set up and give touchwiz a try. Still using 4 x 4 format and my widgets are fine even if a bit small. Luckily I wasn't aware how you could add as many home screens as you want now. This is new..thought there was only 8

So will give touchwiz a go I reckon for abit

I do like the bigger icons compared to nova

Just use whichever suits you best :) One solution doesn't fit all - which is why its great we have multiple solutions :)

Still can't believe you would use 8 home screens - wowsers :) Here I am with my 1 on Android and 2 on iOS

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Just use whichever suits you best :) One solution doesn't fit all - which is why its great we have multiple solutions :)

Still can't believe you would use 8 home screens - wowsers :) Here I am with my 1 on Android and 2 on iOS
I have too many twitter accounts ha

That and I like separate sections for basketball, football, tech, general Samsung things and TV etc

This is why I love android. .choice to do as you wish

Reactions: jamezr and MRU

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Found a very good app to take advantage of edge screen

Called side bar by adding your favourite apps

Can't add a screenshot image too big it seems

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
i was checking Edge in a store. i can see why everybody call this phone perfect. Pretty nice and light phone. The size is right, the screen is amazing. It feels good on your hand. Unfortunately I didnt like how webpages bends. It was literaly hard to read pages when the text start bending from the beginning of the row (couple of first letters). What made it worse to read were white, bright reflections on edges from lights. There should be an option to lock apps using only the flat area and let "edge apps" to use edges... So.. i didnt buy it.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Well I was just at the mall getting my surface pro keyboard exchanged and I felt the need to fondle some Samsung phones. I checked out the S6 edge, WOW what an incredibly premium feeling phone. I always complain that no one has as nice of a hardware phone as the iPhone, but I take that back, the S6 edge runs circles around the iPhone 6 in terms of premium look and feel. I'm getting a bit sick of my Note 4 and have been looking at alternatives.

I'm curious, as I'm kind of debating between the Note 4 and the S6 Edge. Are the edges on the S6E useful? I see some interesting and truly useful uses of the edge on the Note 4, but the S6E edges seem much smaller. Can you put menus and shortcuts on the S6E edges like on the Note 4? Also how is the battery life on the S6E versus the N4/N4 edge?

I'm VERY tempted to switch to the S6E, if it had a stylus I would not hesitate for a second. I'm concerned I will miss the larger screen, stylus and insane battery life of the N4 though. Certainly the best solution is to get the Note 5 edge, but that's still 3 or 4 months off.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Well I was just at the mall getting my surface pro keyboard exchanged and I felt the need to fondle some Samsung phones. I checked out the S6 edge, WOW what an incredibly premium feeling phone. I always complain that no one has as nice of a hardware phone as the iPhone, but I take that back, the S6 edge runs circles around the iPhone 6 in terms of premium look and feel. I'm getting a bit sick of my Note 4 and have been looking at alternatives.

I'm curious, as I'm kind of debating between the Note 4 and the S6 Edge. Are the edges on the S6E useful? I see some interesting and truly useful uses of the edge on the Note 4, but the S6E edges seem much smaller. Can you put menus and shortcuts on the S6E edges like on the Note 4? Also how is the battery life on the S6E versus the N4/N4 edge?

I'm VERY tempted to switch to the S6E, if it had a stylus I would not hesitate for a second. I'm concerned I will miss the larger screen, stylus and insane battery life of the N4 though. Certainly the best solution is to get the Note 5 edge, but that's still 3 or 4 months off.

they are useful yes.

the edge screen doesn't have many that take advantage of the locked screen edge but i use the night clock every night

there's a app you can download to display your favourite apps too.

my battery life onh my note 4 has been poor since lollipop...edge is better battery life for me with screen time and in standby mode

display is awesome and it's not even close the S6 edge is so quick. far quicker than note 4

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012

What's the Note 5 Edge? Samsung will be releasing an S6 Edge Plus. Expected to release in August from what I have read on multiple websites.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
What's the Note 5 Edge? Samsung will be releasing an S6 Edge Plus. Expected to release in August from what I have read on multiple websites.

Rumor has it the Note 5 will either have 2 variants, on being an "edge" variant, or it will only be released with an edge(s). The S6 edge plus makes no sense to me, if it's just a larger S6 edge without a stylus then I don't know why they would bother with a Note 5 edge. Unless there is no Note 5 edge, that's always a possibility, but I HIGHLY doubt Samsung wouldn't release a phablet edge phone with a stylus.

Is the S6 edge plus rumored to be released that soon?!?!?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
they are useful yes.

the edge screen doesn't have many that take advantage of the locked screen edge but i use the night clock every night

there's a app you can download to display your favourite apps too.

my battery life onh my note 4 has been poor since lollipop...edge is better battery life for me with screen time and in standby mode

display is awesome and it's not even close the S6 edge is so quick. far quicker than note 4

Can you customize shortcuts that go in the edge? Can you use both edges equally in relation to shortcuts, apps, etc?

I read that there is no aftermarket launcher that works very well with the edges, in particular Nova Launcher works but forces the edges to not stay open. I'd sorely miss Nova, although I heard TW is much nicer in terms of launcher customization on the edge.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
i was checking Edge in a store. i can see why everybody call this phone perfect. Pretty nice and light phone. The size is right, the screen is amazing. It feels good on your hand. Unfortunately I didnt like how webpages bends. It was literaly hard to read pages when the text start bending from the beginning of the row (couple of first letters). What made it worse to read were white, bright reflections on edges from lights. There should be an option to lock apps using only the flat area and let "edge apps" to use edges... So.. i didnt buy it.

Well that's what the Vanilla S6 is for. The phones are completely the same for hardware and performance minus the edge.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Can you customize shortcuts that go in the edge? Can you use both edges equally in relation to shortcuts, apps, etc?

I read that there is no aftermarket launcher that works very well with the edges, in particular Nova Launcher works but forces the edges to not stay open. I'd sorely miss Nova, although I heard TW is much nicer in terms of launcher customization on the edge.
You can only via an app 3rd party called side bar.

Sadly it doesn't have the options note edge has

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
You can only via an app 3rd party called side bar.

Sadly it doesn't have the options note edge has

Do you have a link to that app? Doing a google search with side bar, or side bar galaxy s6 for example just leads to articles about the edges and what they do. So it seems that Samsung isn't really standing behind their innovation with developer support and/or in house apps. I'm still torn on the edge, it seems like a really neat concept and you can't beat having the best looking phone in the room. But when I look at it I can't help but feel it wastes screen real estate. The more I think about it, the more I think I'd rather just have an edge to edge display with no bezels at all. Still, I've been scouting them out and will most likely buy a S6 edge and a Note edge just to play around with to keep me entertained until the Note 5 comes out.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Do you have a link to that app? Doing a google search with side bar, or side bar galaxy s6 for example just leads to articles about the edges and what they do. So it seems that Samsung isn't really standing behind their innovation with developer support and/or in house apps. I'm still torn on the edge, it seems like a really neat concept and you can't beat having the best looking phone in the room. But when I look at it I can't help but feel it wastes screen real estate. The more I think about it, the more I think I'd rather just have an edge to edge display with no bezels at all. Still, I've been scouting them out and will most likely buy a S6 edge and a Note edge just to play around with to keep me entertained until the Note 5 comes out.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2152373

I do agree that the edges aren't being used enough in terms of taking advantages of the edge screen. I'm surprised more apps aren't available.

Reactions: spinedoc77
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.