Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2152373

I do agree that the edges aren't being used enough in terms of taking advantages of the edge screen. I'm surprised more apps aren't available.

I honestly believe it's there for aesthetic form over function tbh.

Even what 'extra' edge options are there - frankly they could be done on a standard screen and there is no reason they wouldn't work just as well.

That being said - it's a very nice aesthetic.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I honestly believe it's there for aesthetic form over function tbh.

Even what 'extra' edge options are there - frankly they could be done on a standard screen and there is no reason they wouldn't work just as well.

That being said - it's a very nice aesthetic.

Yeah I've always said I think the screen is just great for normal use. It has this pop to it, like it's 3d. And makes slide out menus feel more natural.

It's for Samsung to show off and flex it's hardware and screen design strength.

And it sure looks pretty.

Reactions: jamezr and MRU

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
didn't see a thread so figured I would start one.
Here are the specs and a side by side picture with the Note 4.

Announcement by Samsung on August 12 and will start shipping in select markets by August 21.

5.7-inch 2560 x 1440 pixel resolution Super AMOLED display
Exynos 7420 processor with 3GB RAM
basically the same specifications as the Galaxy S6 edge.

galaxy-s6-edge-plus-dummy-unit-1-496x465.png

galaxy-s6-edge-plus-dummy-unit-3-260x465.png

galaxy-s6-edge-plus-dummy-unit-4-249x465.png

galaxy-s6-edge-plus-dummy-unit-2-620x196.png

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/07/17...you-an-idea-of-the-sheer-size-of-this-device/

Reactions: AleXXXa

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Big question is going to be cost. Considering a 64GB Edge costs €949 here - I am terrified to imagine what premium this is going to retail at - and if that 'extra' cost is also then represented in a hike this year to the Note 5's final off-contract sim free price too.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Wild.

I guess it won't come with an s pen? That's why it's not a "note edge?"

Yep. I do not envision there being a note 5 edge at all.

Samsung have decided to make the rounded/curved edges just part of the screen rather than independent screens like they are on the Note 4 edge.

This type of edge screen would be pretty much incompatible with the S-Pen for obvious reasons (drawing on an edge, curved surface) and so it makes sense to launch an S6 Edge + in Note 5 size for those phablet users who want a larger device with the edges and keep with the S6 name - as it is without S-Pen.

That leaves them free to launch the Note 5 without curved edges - but with of course the S-Pen.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Wild.

I guess it won't come with an s pen? That's why it's not a "note edge?"
I truly think the Note Edge is now extinct :)
I want to see some side by side of the S6 plus and the Note 5 and pricing before I decide which one to get.
Personally I hardly ever use the S-Pen on my Note 4 so that is not an issue for me. I wish they would make a regular S6 Plus without the edge screen as well.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I want to see some side by side of the S6 plus and the Note 5 and pricing before I decide which one to get

Yeah pricing is my biggest concern tbh. I just can't imagine how they are going to price this. Assuming they price the + model $100 €100 more than the S6 Edge standard that would make a 32gb S6 Edge + €949

Assuming likewise the Note 5 has 'extra' oomph including more memory (4gb) / faster processor (newer exynos) and of course S-Pen - it's hard to see them releasing it 'cheaper' than the 32gb S6 Edge + otherwise it would really make the + and existing smaller S6 edge devices look very expensive.

So will they match price at 32gb Note 5 for €949 ? If so it's a big price increase over last years model. If they release at €700 it would make the 32gb edge at €849 look expensive let alone the 32gb Edge+ if that does carry a higher premium.

The question would then be are they pricing themselves in general too high not only in the current market but also against themselves ?

I wait with baited breath and a lot of trepidation over the pricing .....

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Did I miss mention of the battery size?

No. And the image is not the final product but a dummy handset - but hopefully the battery will be closer to 3,500 - 4,000 mAh ... However as they are making it 'thinner' than the standard S6 you never know what size it will be, but it would be disappointing if its only the same.

Reactions: Six8

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Did I miss mention of the battery size?
The rumors are the Note 5 will have a 4100 mAh battery. It would behoove Samsung to put a 3000 mAh of larger battery in the Edge Plus. Big mistake if it is under 3000 mAh battery.

Reactions: Six8

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I truly think the Note Edge is now extinct :)
I want to see some side by side of the S6 plus and the Note 5 and pricing before I decide which one to get.
Personally I hardly ever use the S-Pen on my Note 4 so that is not an issue for me. I wish they would make a regular S6 Plus without the edge screen as well.

Isn't that just a Note 5 without removing the stylus? :p

Reactions: AleXXXa

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Isn't that just a Note 5 without removing the stylus? :p
YES! I would love to have that. Personally I don't use the S-Pen at all. I would rather have a thinner device that did not have to make room for the pen. Just like the regular S6...only with a larger screen. :)

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
YES! I would love to have that. Personally I don't use the S-Pen at all. I would rather have a thinner device that did not have to make room for the pen. Just like the regular S6...only with a larger screen. :)

Do we know for certain that it actually needs to be made thicker to accommodate the stylus? My guess is battery is more of a determining factor but I guess we'll see in about a month.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Do we know for certain that it actually needs to be made thicker to accommodate the stylus? My guess is battery is more of a determining factor but I guess we'll see in about a month.
It would seem it is a little thicker to accommodate the pen. My N4 is thicker than the S6 but the N4 does have a much bigger batter as well.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
It's quite redundant IMO to have 2 phablet. Just release the Note 5 with edges, simple and done. Put all your marketing muscle behind one flagship phablet. With that said, man the edge blows away the Note 4. The Note 5 better look incredible or I may consider ditching my stylus, Bleh I'm bummed about being forced to make that decision though.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I see your point spinedoc. But not all want the curved screen. I may not get the plus and just get the N5 instead

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I see your point spinedoc. But not all want the curved screen. I may not get the plus and just get the N5 instead

Yup, count me in this apparent minority. While I find the S6 edge a more attractive design, I hated the feel in hand and how the edges distorted the display (at least to my eyes). If I had bought an S6, it would've been the traditional, flat display design. If I was choosing a Samsung phablet, I'd likely go the same route and avoid any 'edge' design.

Reactions: jamezr

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's quite redundant IMO to have 2 phablet. Just release the Note 5 with edges, simple and done. Put all your marketing muscle behind one flagship phablet. With that said, man the edge blows away the Note 4. The Note 5 better look incredible or I may consider ditching my stylus, Bleh I'm bummed about being forced to make that decision though.

2 main reasons

1 - Because you can't have a note 5 with rounded / curved edges without causing an issue with the stylus and Wacom digitizer.

Writing on a flat surface is one thing, but writing on a curved one is another.

2 - You can't have a Note device without the stylus or it ceases to be a Note, it's just another large phablet. The Note after all is named after its pen, and it's software is tailored for pen.

Samsung treated the Note 4 edge differently. It's edge was treated as an independent screen reducing the amount of area one physically writes on compared to the normal Note 4. If you took this approach with the new edge devices which is seen as 1 screen rather than two and reduced physical area for writing then all software will have to be re-adapted to make sure app input areas only fall within the writing / pen designated area. It's just not a feasible plan especially for third party apps.

Hence current solution - 2 phablets - 2 SKU's solves the issue

1. Is a Note 5 with large flat screen & stylus and software designed with pen input

2. Is a S6 Edge + with a large curved screen but without stylus with just touch input in mind.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
2 main reasons

1 - Because you can't have a note 5 with rounded / curved edges without causing an issue with the stylus and Wacom digitizer.

Writing on a flat surface is one thing, but writing on a curved one is another.

2 - You can't have a Note device without the stylus or it ceases to be a Note, it's just another large phablet. The Note after all is named after its pen, and it's software is tailored for pen.

Samsung treated the Note 4 edge differently. It's edge was treated as an independent screen reducing the amount of area one physically writes on compared to the normal Note 4. If you took this approach with the new edge devices which is seen as 1 screen rather than two and reduced physical area for writing then all software will have to be re-adapted to make sure app input areas only fall within the writing / pen designated area. It's just not a feasible plan especially for third party apps.

Hence current solution - 2 phablets - 2 SKU's solves the issue

1. Is a Note 5 with large flat screen & stylus and software designed with pen input

2. Is a S6 Edge + with a large curved screen but without stylus with just touch input in mind.

I didn't realize the Note edge was divided physically like that, interesting. That explains why the Note edge's edge is so much more useful than the S6 edges. That also means there is still the possibility of the Note 5 having an "edge" version similar to the Note 4 edge. The S6 edge style seems very limited in functionality, more of an aesthetic perk IMO. But the Note 4 edge feature seems much more functional.

Although interestingly enough from what I understand sales of the Note 4 edge were abysmal. Interesting to contrast that with the insane S6 edge sales.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I didn't realize the Note edge was divided physically like that, interesting. That explains why the Note edge's edge is so much more useful than the S6 edges. That also means there is still the possibility of the Note 5 having an "edge" version similar to the Note 4 edge. The S6 edge style seems very limited in functionality, more of an aesthetic perk IMO. But the Note 4 edge feature seems much more functional.

Although interestingly enough from what I understand sales of the Note 4 edge were abysmal. Interesting to contrast that with the insane S6 edge sales.

Not so much physically but software wise they were treated as two separate screens altogether :)

Yeah I think if we were going to see a Note 5 edge we would have heard something on the rumour mill especially if they do plan to release / launch the device in what 4-5 weeks based on current rumours.

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
If the pricing of the current S6 and S6 Edge models is anything to go by, then I fear that the base model of the S6 Edge Plus will be close to 900 Euros. That's a tad too steep for my liking. Given that sales of the S6 models weren't as predicted, perhaps they'll lower the pricing of the entire S6 line with the new release of the S6 Plus and Note models. In fact, in my mind that seems like the only sensible approach from a business perspective. Apple did it with their iMac Retina line and Samsung would do well taking a similar route, unless they are contemplating on targeting the Samsung S6 and Note 5 line to a niche audience that happily pays roughly a thousand (and upward) dollars for a product with a semi-optimal resale value.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
If the pricing of the current S6 and S6 Edge models is anything to go by, then I fear that the base model of the S6 Edge Plus will be close to 900 Euros. That's a tad too steep for my liking. Given that sales of the S6 models weren't as predicted, perhaps they'll lower the pricing of the entire S6 line with the new release of the S6 Plus and Note models. In fact, in my mind that seems like the only sensible approach from a business perspective. Apple did it with their iMac Retina line and Samsung would do well taking a similar route, unless they are contemplating on targeting the Samsung S6 and Note 5 line to a niche audience that happily pays roughly a thousand (and upward) dollars for a product with a semi-optimal resale value.

Yeah 900 at least seeing as 32gb S6 edge is €849

Like you say maybe lowering price of other S6 devices by €50-100 per SKU would help better price it, but yeah a 128gb S6 Edge + based on current pricing model we'd be looking at €1149 which is frankly insanity pricing.

Likewise as I mentioned earlier it creates an issue for Note 5 pricing as 'if' it has slightly improved specs over the S6/S6 edge current will it match S6 Edge + pricing model ?

Unless they lower the S6 current pricing to make the Note 5 seem less imposing cost wise.

It is a dilemma ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.