Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Nova is great and it's definitely worth upgrading to Nova Prime. You can always use the option 'aggressive desktop ' too if you don't want to see home screen refreshes ever, but this can cause more refreshes in other apps though. It's hidden option in the advanced menu of nova

Duly noted. I'll give it a look.

Vegastouch... maybe that's why you never see home screen refreshes. Do you have the "aggressive desktop" feature turned on in your Nova?

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
I'm beginning to think it's the Google Now launcher. I've been testing the waters with TouchWiz, and haven't seen the home screen redraw/refresh.

But at the same time, it happens rarely, so I don't know if it simply hasn't happened yet.

Please do let me know about Nova. Maybe I'll give it a shot. I've heard nothing but amazing things about Nova anyway.

I use both TouchWiz and Nova on my S6 edge and have not experienced this refreshing on either.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I'm beginning to think it's the Google Now launcher. I've been testing the waters with TouchWiz, and haven't seen the home screen redraw/refresh.

But at the same time, it happens rarely, so I don't know if it simply hasn't happened yet.

Please do let me know about Nova. Maybe I'll give it a shot. I've heard nothing but amazing things about Nova anyway.
Just install it and try it out. There is a free version which doesn't come with the notification badges.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I don't think so. Can't say I've seen that option but I'll look for it.
It's here on the newest version

4f4eeff55f490e3cfd4bd5b9a597f03e.jpg

Into advanced ...

d06cc6aa900c97cf3f55cecb8857e6fc.jpg

By default its not ticked :)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Messing around with nova right now. Wow the icons are small... Or is it that the Google now launcher icons are just large?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Messing around with nova right now. Wow the icons are small... Or is it that the Google now launcher icons are just large?
Be sure to change your grid size too. Then enable infinite scrolling for your home screens. Then when you have it just the way you want it backup your settings to Google Drive. :)

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I use both TouchWiz and Nova on my S6 edge and have not experienced this refreshing on either.

Do you routinely reset your phone? I rarely experience this issue, but I do reset my phone every other day, usually after I update apps.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

In each of the nova settings for desktop / app drawer / folders you will see 'icon size' option. Click that and a just size there. I find 115% perfect for me :). You can also adjust icon font size too.

Arranging icons in app drawer is a little fiddly and must be done in nova settings - app drawer - folders

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Not sure how many of you stuck with TouchWiz and played around with the themes but the new Material (design) theme is great! Gives the S6 the feel of a Nexus device.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Guys especially mru I have an idea to help out your battery issues.I think the firmware updates are to blame.when the gs6 launched a bunch of networks pushed an update right away to the device and my carrier Verizon waited a month to push it.after I installed it my battery life went to crap and I even did full factory restores to start from scratch to see if it helped.

I could barely get 3.5 hours ost and I hated my phone.

I odined back to original shipping firmware and didn't update anything other then Google apps and services and even disabled the Samsung push service update that's supposed to help with battery life and I'm back to 5 plus hours of onscreen time!

Reactions: MRU and jamezr

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Guys especially mru I have an idea to help out your battery issues.I think the firmware updates are to blame.when the gs6 launched a bunch of networks pushed an update right away to the device and my carrier Verizon waited a month to push it.after I installed it my battery life went to crap and I even did full factory restores to start from scratch to see if it helped.

I could barely get 3.5 hours ost and I hated my phone.

I odined back to original shipping firmware and didn't update anything other then Google apps and services and even disabled the Samsung push service update that's supposed to help with battery life and I'm back to 5 plus hours of onscreen time!

Thanks for the suggestion grkm3 - but I have tried clean factory images with ODIN a number of times (more to fix the ram issue on mine rather than battery) but hasn't really made much difference - though unlike a lot of you guys I use auto brightness and slider up full on auto brightness - and that likely is the biggest factor on my battery life compared to those using it on 30-50% brightness, plus additionally I live in a very rural area where the signal ebs on the low side and I imagine cellular strength is also contributing to some of the difference. :) Even with 3-3.5 SOT I can still get through a day with any device anyway :) (I have enough to choose from if not :D )

Reactions: jamezr

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Thanks for the suggestion grkm3 - but I have tried clean factory images with ODIN a number of times (more to fix the ram issue on mine rather than battery) but hasn't really made much difference - though unlike a lot of you guys I use auto brightness and slider up full on auto brightness - and that likely is the biggest factor on my battery life compared to those using it on 30-50% brightness, plus additionally I live in a very rural area where the signal ebs on the low side and I imagine cellular strength is also contributing to some of the difference. :) Even with 3-3.5 SOT I can still get through a day with any device anyway :) (I have enough to choose from if not :D )

Oh so you tried original firmware and not taking the over the air update? My cell got horrible after I updated and is running way better the way it came out the box.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Oh so you tried original firmware and not taking the over the air update? My cell got horrible after I updated and is running way better the way it came out the box.

Yep. Fresh clean full install rather than OTA update - made no discernible difference in my case. :) Often with OTA updates i see many users recommend wiping partition cache in recovery to fix any issues since getting the OTA - but yeah it didn't apply in my case :)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Not a huge fan of nova, or maybe I'm not used to it and didn't give it long enough of a chance.

Went back to Google now launcher. Like I said the home screen refeshes rarely happen, so it's not a big deal.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.