Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I'm sure Note 7 owners are totally going to queue up for another Samsung phone!

(My S7 gets warm sometimes – not hot, warm – for no apparent reason and I get worried...)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I wonder if they're going to rerelease the Note 5? Would that phone even sell since it's a Note?
I doubt it. They have enough to deal with clearing up the mess of the N7 and getting all devices back and doing with the aftermath. To relaunch an older device would just create confusion ...

They will likely just batern down the hatches , sort out the internal politics which will likely be frayed at the moment, and then focus all on the S8.

Reactions: bmac4

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I'd imagine that next year we'll see Samsung Block 1 with brand new S Pencil and a non-explosive ad campaign. I can't see them trying to continue with the Note branding.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
From the article in MRU's link:

When it comes to the Galaxy S8, this new report claims Samsung hasn't yet made up its mind on whether to push its launch forward or not. Over the past few days we've heard rumors saying both that it would unveil it sooner than usual and that it would stick to its normal schedule of announcement in February and release in March. Things might be changing in that respect though, now that the Note7 is dead.

Either way, they can't afford to mess this up.

Reactions: bmac4 and MRU

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Bit of a problem.

My S7 Edge is fine but wife's S7 has this ridiculous Mediaserver battery drain problem. 48% of the battery is drained by it.

Crazy.

Any solutions, please?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Bit of a problem.

My S7 Edge is fine but wife's S7 has this ridiculous Mediaserver battery drain problem. 48% of the battery is drained by it.

Crazy.

Any solutions, please?
When I have seen this in the past all the incidents turned out to be related to Chrome after investigation.

Try disabling Chrome completely (just try uninstalling and it will be disabled) and just use Samsung's internet browser for a while.

Battery will be back to normal.

Reactions: daveathall

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
When I have seen this in the past all the incidents turned out to be related to Chrome after investigation.

Try disabling Chrome completely (just try uninstalling and it will be disabled) and just use Samsung's internet browser for a while.

Battery will be back to normal.

I tried that this morning, so let's see how the day goes.

I replaced Chrome with Chrome Beta and the Mediaserver problem is gone. Why? Beats me.

Ahhh OK, I thought about this. May try this too!

Chrome is an enigma on Android ....

Bizarre but out of all the devices, never had a problem with Chrome. Ever. This is the first time. Bizarre.

Thanks, people!

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Bit of a problem.

Crazy.

Any solutions, please?
Yup. I loved my s7. But battery life was always so so. I just can't stand the edge screens cause I had the s6 edge + and returned it last year.

It's basically the same inherent issue as the smaller iPhone vs larger iPhone.

The s7 edge simply has a larger battery.

The s7 active (even with its known issues) has a larger battery.

Bigger battery. No amount of software trick can compensate for bigger battery.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Yup. I loved my s7. But battery life was always so so. I just can't stand the edge screens cause I had the s6 edge + and returned it last year.

It's basically the same inherent issue as the smaller iPhone vs larger iPhone.

The s7 edge simply has a larger battery.

The s7 active (even with its known issues) has a larger battery.

Bigger battery. No amount of software trick can compensate for bigger battery.

Actually this S7 Edge seems to be doing really, really well thus far, although will have to give it a couple of weeks to cycle through.

And update on wife's S7 - killing Chrome off has done the trick! I may well try Chrome Beta just to see, but she reports normal battery life.

So that's nice, eh!

Reactions: navaira and MRU

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow
So today I cancelled my O2 upgrade when handing back my Note 7 and bought myself a sim free S7 Edge. Ordered a BT sim as I get a discount for being a broadband customer.

Had my head set on a similar free iPhone 7 Plus but would miss the awesome AMOLED display and amazing camera. Also the fact that I have lady hands meant that operating the thing was very awkward. I also don't like IOS 10.

Since going sim free it also gives me the flexibility to swap to the S8 when that's released next year.

Reactions: Nr123*123 and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Actually this S7 Edge seems to be doing really, really well thus far, although will have to give it a couple of weeks to cycle through.

And update on wife's S7 - killing Chrome off has done the trick! I may well try Chrome Beta just to see, but she reports normal battery life.

So that's nice, eh!

Yeah don't know why Chrome is such a pig ... glad it resolved it :)

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Yeah don't know why Chrome is such a pig ... glad it resolved it :)

Irony is that Google finally just officially fixed the Mediaserver bug. It will roll out in the next security patch - but goodness knows when Samsung will get it, won't hold my breath! They've got enough on their plate right now.

Reactions: 5105973 and MRU

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Went to another local Samsung repair shop and asked if burn-in is covered by Samsung's warranty and they told me no also, so that's a huge problem for me. My usage pattern makes burn-in happen in every AMOLED screen, and I don't want to change phones every year. I'd like to keep my next phone for 2 years minimum, so another AMOLED phone besides my S6 is a problem.

There's now a great deal with the S7 here. 473€ new. But this burn-in problem is huge for me.

Can you post an example of the burn in. I sure haven't seen it on any of mine so I'd like to see it if that's possible. My eyes aren't quite as Good as they used to be so if it's faint, maybe I'm just not seeing it.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Stange, I had burn on my Note 4 at the top and bottom. It was within the warranty period, 10 months into it anyway, and I had it repaired for free under warranty, the phone came back looking like new.
My old S5 has burn on the top too, still has but not that bad.
My S2 had burn too, pointed that out to the buyer and they didn't really care.
My S1 looks mint.
One thing these screen burns all had in common was I never used auto brightness and usually had them turned up to full brightness.
I haven't had burn since.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Can you post an example of the burn in. I sure haven't seen it on any of mine so I'd like to see it if that's possible. My eyes aren't quite as Good as they used to be so if it's faint, maybe I'm just not seeing it.
Sure. I can post an example I saw on a S7 edge on a shop this week. I took some pictures with my S6. You can see the Samsung Galaxy logo on the center.

On mine, there are a few icons burnt into the top screen. I'll take a few pictures and post them here later too so you all can see.

Here is first the one on the shop, in an S7 edge.

720f5aa62f88842f909ec379755156b0.jpg

7bf2349f50815a13826ce0e21afd6c2f.jpg

13681cd04332cf0b9e399d4b9293f2ca.jpg

EDIT: The pictures on Tapatalk are downgraded in quality, so it's harder to see than in the pictures I have. Will upload them to a website also later so you can check them in full quality. Just check for letters in the center. You can read "Samsung Galaxy edge".

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Stange, I had burn on my Note 4 at the top and bottom. It was within the warranty period, 10 months into it anyway, and I had it repaired for free under warranty, the phone came back looking like new.
My old S5 has burn on the top too, still has but not that bad.
My S2 had burn too, pointed that out to the buyer and they didn't really care.
My S1 looks mint.
One thing these screen burns all had in common was I never used auto brightness and usually had them turned up to full brightness.
I haven't had burn since.
I've had it on a S3 and S5 also. I used to have the brightness all the way up too on those phones, because they weren't that bright, but not on my S6, which has excellent brightness.

On the S6 I usually have the brightness at 40/50%, with the occasional 100% when in direct sunlight.

But I do read a lot on my phone, like Tapatalk, so it may be due to that. I've got WhatsApp icons burnt into the screen (the icons inside a chat, like call, send files, etc, plus the whole top bar).

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Sure. I can post an example I saw on a S7 edge on a shop this week. I took some pictures with my S6. You can see the Samsung Galaxy logo on the center.

On mine, there are a few icons burnt into the top screen. I'll take a few pictures and post them here later too so you all can see.

Here is first the one on the shop, in an S7 edge.

720f5aa62f88842f909ec379755156b0.jpg

7bf2349f50815a13826ce0e21afd6c2f.jpg

13681cd04332cf0b9e399d4b9293f2ca.jpg

EDIT: The pictures on Tapatalk are downgraded in quality, so it's harder to see than in the pictures I have. Will upload them to a website also later so you can check them in full quality. Just check for letters in the center. You can read "Samsung Galaxy edge".
Yeah it's hard to see it there. I keep my brightness below 50℅ so I've never had it on my phone's. I keep it around 40℅ , sometimes lower but no more than that.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Yeah it's hard to see it there. I keep my brightness below 50℅ so I've never had it on my phone's. I keep it around 40℅ , sometimes lower but no more than that.
I'll upload them later to a website for better quality, but you do see some faint letters in the white background do you? You can see the word "edge" there. Later you'll see them better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.