Gallagher -- Homophobic, Racists Rants, Who Knew?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Jul 5, 2010.

1. macrumors 68040

mactastic

So I was never really a Gallagher fan back in his heyday, but like everyone around then I knew about his antics. But I don't recall this kind of stuff being part of his schtick back then, and it's really just too bad.
    I had no idea.

2. macrumors G3

NT1440

Wait, is this the watermelon guy?

Either way, what a douche.

3. thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yes, the watermelon guy -- although to be fair watermelons were only one of the things he used his trademark sledgehammer on.

And yes, what a douche.

4. macrumors 603

Tomorrow

One line in the article stood out to me:

I grew up watching Gallagher on Showtime, and I don't remember him ever being apolitical - he was always picking on how he thought this politician or that political movement was "dumb." But he was far less abrasive about it back in those days.

And he's always told gay jokes, but for some reason it sticks in my mind that the general social climate was much different 25 years ago - comedians, TV shows, movies, or whatever, seemed to make much more fun of gays then, and get away with it more. Jokes that went over back then just about can't be told now.

I don't know how much of this has to do with Gallagher becoming more conservative, and how much of it has to do with him getting old and hanging on to a lot of the humor that people liked back then; but again, times have changed quite a bit.

Here's a non-Gallagher example of what I'm talking about - back in the 80's Genesis made a song called "Illegal Alien." Phil Collins sang it with a phony accent, and the whole song parodies an illegal immigrant's trying to sneak into the U.S. The video was hilarious. I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell a band would be able to get away with something like that today; the entertainment-buying public isn't as tolerant of political incorrectness as we once were.

5. macrumors 65816

Funny you should post this I was just thinking about a Gallagher show I saw a few years back I was probably 12-13 and I don't have particularly clear memories of it.

But I do remember several confrontations during the show a college student was called up on stage for bad mouthing the guy and it looked like there was about to be a honest to god fight. After that the guy seemed to just lose it.

I live in a very liberal town so I wouldn't be surprised if thats what the confrontation was about, though I personally can't remember it. I don't even think I understood what was going on at the time.

edit: Just gave my dad a call and indeed without any prompting he recalled the confrontation as having something to do with gay rights, so apparently he's been off the tracks for a while now. I don't even think he smashed much fruit...

I'm very tolerant of political incorrectness but the word for this guy is just washed up loon, I remember the evening being un-comfortable not funny at all.

If this guy was ever funny he isn't anymore.

6. macrumors 65816

JediZenMaster

7. macrumors 65816

You sure it wasn't his brother Ron? as I recall Gallagher sold his twin brother the whole act over a decade and a half ago and retired.

8. macrumors 68000

9. macrumors 65816

I am sure he's probably got one of those somewhere in his prop warehouse LOL

10. macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

This guy is indeed a douche, and a bigot (which I doubt even Full of Shivetya would deny), but not because of the jokes. Telling a bigoted joke doesn't make one a bigot. This line obviously does:

But other than that, I don't see a problem. If someone told a blonde joke, would you call them a bigot too?

11. macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Like Tomorrow, I remember Gallagher from his Showtime specials years and years ago. To my surprise, most of them were pretty good. His routine reminded me a lot of George Carlin talking about the foibles of life. I can still recall some of his funnier lines:

I saw, I think, three specials of his that I liked. Then came the fourth one, and I was horrified. A lot of misogynistic jokes, a whole new anti-woman attitude. I remember my wife and I looking at each other and going, "What the hell happened to this guy??"

Now comedians, Gallagher included, have always made jokes about the opposite sex...but for the first time his humor had taken a mean turn. I can't even recall, two decades or so later, specifically what it was that he said, I just remember it was a big turn-off. I caught part of one of his next specials, and he did it again, and I gave up on the guy.

12. macrumors 65816

It depends heavily on delivery, if you tell a joke in a way that is not intended to be derogatory then you can slide.

There is a line it's a bit of a blurry line and its measured differently by different people. Gallagher's rants make it abundantly clear that he HATES gay people, he really DISLIKES black people.

Observational comics might make a point about society that is indeed "racist" or homophobic or whatever. But in that delivery they are not revealing hatred or anger towards that group.

A good example is South Park they ruthlessly belittle everyone and everything but they generally aren't criticized to heavily. Because in their delivery it is clear that they generally don't hold much ill will towards those groups.

(And when they do cross the line into actual anger they hate on groups who nobody likes like Scientologists :).)

13. macrumors 65816

He's got it backwards. The sagging pants fashion derives from *after* being arrested and imprisoned, where they take the belts (and shoelaces) away. Everybody knows that.

14. macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Who would have thought a comedian could be abrasive? :rolleyes:

15. macrumors 65816

Abrasive is a wholly different thing this is more on par with Crammer shouting "n***r" during a performance.

16. macrumors G5

leekohler

This is beyond comedy. It's sick.

17. macrumors G4

When I saw this thread title I thought there's no way nice Mr. Noel could be saying things so dreadful.

So I'm glad to discover it's just another ignorant idiot from across the Pond :D

18. macrumors G5

leekohler

Unfortunately, we have way more than our share of idiots. :(

19. macrumors demi-god

VideoFreek

He's just a washed-up, bitter old man well past his 15 minutes. Regarding his intense homophobia, does anyone else get the impression he protests a bit too much? A closet case for sure, I think. :D

20. macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

This is just like the Dice Man's bits. They're supposed to be funny, because they shock you. That doesn't mean he believes the things he says. He's an entertainer for god's sake, and a washed up one at that.

Either way I've never been a fan of abrasive or angry comedy, and I've never found Gallagher to be funny.

21. macrumors 6502

You guys can't see this is an act to sell tickets? I believe comedians have the right to say whatever the hell they want about anything. If you don't like it don't go to their show.

22. macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That's what I'm saying, dawg!

23. macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course he can say what he wants. But we have the right to call him an a**hole.

24. macrumors G3

NT1440

Who said anything about censoring the guy? Do I think he's a douche still? You betcha;)

25. macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Uhhh yes. Who said anything about censoring? Certainly not the person you quoted.