Gallegly's Withdrawal Is a Stunner

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Mar 11, 2006.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This is a local story, with possibly some national implications. For years, the Democrats in this district have been sending up sacrificial candidates to run against Gallegly. Only one even came close, and he opted not to run a second time. Now, a formerly safe Republican seat is open. The way it happened it especially weird, even for Elton Gallegly, who's a pretty weird guy IMO. Something smells wrong about it -- like rats abandoning ship?

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-gallegly11mar11,1,7525222.story

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It will be interesting to see how many Republic retirements there are by June...

That was a huge indicator of the Democrat's problem in '94. They went from a relatively low number of announced retirements in November of '93 to a swelling number by June of '94 because a lot of the members just didn't want to serve in the (dis)loyal opposition. Giving up chairmanships, losing staff, and the plum offices was more than they could bear.

I'm guessing we'll see a fair number of Republics opting for that sweet, sweet honey that flows on K Street in the next month or so if things don't turn around quickly for their team.

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The withdrawals will need to happen soon, with the filing deadlines for the primaries arriving. This was Gallegly's move -- pulling out at the last possible moment. At this point, I can't figure out if he was trying to prevent anyone else from entering the primary from either party, knowing the seat would be open.

Very subtle, btw. At first I thought it was a typo. ;)

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nah, no typo. I'm sick of that crap from the right.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Here's the article I was trying to find earlier when this topic came up.
    Emphasis mine.

My own Rep. Bill Thomas did announce his retirement last week, but as noted, a Democratic pickup there is unlikely since most of the district is in the solidly red Central Valley.