Game Boy Advance SP or Nintendo DS?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ravenvii, Aug 25, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm thinking of buying a portable soon. But I can't decide between the Game Boy Advance SP and the Nintendo DS.

The DS has the advantage of being able to play GBA games and all future DS games. And it has the nifty touchscreen, and WiFi for multiplayer. It has some cool things coming up for it. And I already have a Game Boy Player (GameCube add-on that plays all Game Boy games), so DS will allow me to play a completely new library of games. But the size can be a bit problematic, it's not as portable as the SP.

The SP has the ability to play older Game Boy games as well, and it's much more portable than the DS. And it seems easier to play fast pick-up games on it (for when you just want to kill 5-10 minutes, and don't want to get immersed into a game). And the size is especially an advantage for me, I want it to be small and easily hidden in a pocket so I can go anywhere with it. And the price is $60 less as well, which can't be ignored.

What do you guys think? Which one should I get?

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Look at the game line up for advance and ds and make a choice based on what games you would buy. I would go for ds because of the lineup, like Mario cart, advance wars and etc.

Also have you heard of the Micro, might be good for you as it is really small. But with that comes a price.

3. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I'm pretty happy with my DS. But like you said it's sort of big. I keep mine in a leather case along with the charger and all my games, and that stays in my backpack. So the size isn't an issue for me.

If you're into 5-10 minute gaming sessions might I recommend Meteos for the DS. It's a great puzzler and truly easy to pick up. My mom likes it, and that's saying a lot.

The SP is smaller, but its also limited in that it's only a GBA. The DS is a GBA+ in my book.

Get a DS, you won't regret it. Hope to race you in mario kart this fall. ;)

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

In terms of games you can pick up and play, the DS has a LOT of them if thats what you like. WarioWare Touched, Kirby's Canvas Curse, etc; the touch screen lets you go into a game and just start playing around.

WarioWare is...disturbing...sometimes ;)

The SP's greatest advantage is the backwards compatability. The DS has a larger screen (two of them) and the backlight makes GBA games look MUCH better than the SP.

Personally I take my DS in my pocket and don't really mind the size. But that's just me.

I'd go with the DS. The online games and the way the online system is done looks REALLY good. The ability to walk into any WiFi hotspot and just have it randomly match you up with someone (by skill level or by location), or go with someone on your buddy list, etc, seems like a pretty good pick-up-and-play online system.

So its really:
    small size, backwards compatability, lower price and multiplayer GBA games

vs

more games, online, touch screen, clearer screen

Me, I'd get the DS. I have both systems, the GBA SP and DS. The only times I use the GBA SP is to play MegaMan Battle Network 3 with my friend (greatest GBA RPG ever IMHO, the earlier versions suck and the sequel was overcomplicated) and when Battle Network DS comes out I'll be doing that much less often :)

If you get a DS, be sure to add us all to your buddy list when Mario Kart comes out. Perhaps we can have a MacRumors Mario Kart party.

5. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Unless you need something that you can just throw in your pocket, I'd go for the DS. The screen is a huge improvement over the SP when playing GBA games. And since the unit is wider, I personally find it much easier to hold. Yeah, it can't play the old Game Boy games, but there are so many great GBA games available (plus a handfull of must-have DS games) that it should keep you plenty busy for a long time to come.

Also, if you buy an SP, you'll always secretly wish you had bought the DS. :D

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea if you got an SP now then when such legends as Mario Kart and Mario Bros come out you'll wish you bought a DS.

i say if you have any, or intend to play GB games, get an SP. they're cheap and jolly. if thats not your thing and modern games are your thing then get the DS. the screen really crisps up GBA games, and the stereo is beautiful.

But Nintendo is retarded, apparently. I'd go buy a Gamegear. ;)

7. applekid macrumors 68020

I'd buy a DS. You have your GBA games and you can expand to DS games in the future. You just wouldn't have access to your older GB/C games though (if you have any). For that reason, I'm actually planning on buying both a SP and DS. I'm replacing my original GBA with the SP so that I can still play my older games.

8. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

Easy choice...get a DS! You can still play all of your GBA games and the DS lineup is about to get a whole lot stronger (AW:DS, Nintenogs, Castlevania, etc).

Hickman