Game Boy Micro worth it for $50?

Discussion in 'Games' started by sikkinixx, Oct 9, 2006.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I just noticed that at Zellers (a chain in Canada) they have Game Boy Mircos' for 49.99. Is it worth getting one? I used to have GBA back when the first ones came out but i sold it. GBA has a ton of games I would like to have, mostly the ports (the Final Fantasies, Mario, Zelda, etc.). I want to get a DS Lite eventually, just not now cuz im dropping like $800 on video games next month lol so adding another $200 for a DS+game is a bit steep right now.

I like the micro since it is so small i can get chuck it in my pocket or bag or whatever and will have it for those boring situtations (doctors office, dentist, economics class, etc). I am a little worried about the mirco screen being too small or the buttons be too close and cramping the hell outta me...

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yes....I have one, and the GBA has TONS of great games...I love Advance Wars, which I always play on the go(have one for the DS, but the GBM is so small I use it more)

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Yes its worth it...GBA/GB games are everyhere and in the thousands plus they are fun/cheap
    DS lite can play GBA games as well but not the older GB games

Knock yourself out bud.:)

Bless

4. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Wow, $50. The starter packs for the DS are about £100 in the UK. I did a quick search but can't find the micro listed for sale in the UK...is it on sale here?

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i would skip it and rather save up after your 800 $ video game month for a ds lite

6. Glostarz macrumors newbie

Yep yep,

You can get them on the net or in stores like Virgin for around £40-£70. I had a go on one in Virgin Piccadilly Circus. Its pretty cool, very compact and a good screen resolution for its size.

:)

7. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Ooooo - that's an OK price. I might take a gander. To be honest I might just get a real old GameBoy - I love Wario!

8. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I'll take one for $50 ... finally I could get newsuper mario

9. Glostarz macrumors newbie

'fraid not. The new Micro is like a mini Game Boy SP, not a new type of DS, so it only plays Gameboy Advance games really.

:)

10. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

oh then never mind go for spring for a used ds from eb/gamestop/ebay

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

$50? hell yes. FINALLY I got a better deal in the UK. For once we came out on top! I bought a brand new Gameboy Micro for £20 ($37) months back. It's my favourite GBA playing device. The screen is excellent, the buttons are big and "thwaky", battery life is superb. Can't fault it. And the size? I stick this into this near enough bullet proof casing and throw it into my bag. It's convenience like that which gives it more play time than my DS.

To other brits - they can be picked up anywhere (Virgin, HMV, Gamestation, GAME) for ~£30 brand new. Second hand ones go for £60, which really doesn't make much sense at all.

Mines blue :) though I want to get a design printed onto it. http://satansam.co.uk/ftp/toys.jpg

12. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

how are the buttons? I am concerned about playing old SNES games (marios and zelda) on it since they had 6 buttons while the micro has 4.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Buttons are fine. They've got a real NES feel to them - it's the only GBA that I can actually hold down B to run and A to jump (Mario series) at the same time without hand cramps. I never played LTTP on the SNES but the GBA versions buttons are very simple-
    L- map
    R- pick up, run, talk
    B- Sword
    A- Item
    Select- item menu
    Start- Pause

I sort of hold the Micro with my fingertips with my index fingers always above the shoulder buttons and my big hands never cramp. Helps that it weighs next to nothing too.

14. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

no. get a DS. used DS phats go for like $70.

Sorry but all the new games are coming out on DS, and whatever GBA has, well, of course DS has it too. Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros., etc.

I have many GBA games but I find myself almost exclusively playing the DS games, just because of the updated graphics and more convenient gameplay. With GBA games you have to play until you find a save point (for most games), but with a DS you just close the screen and it auto-saves, like OSX's sleep mode. REALLY convenient when you're out (doctor's office, dentist, etc.)

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Now I love my DS (folks say I'm a Nintendo fanboy :rolleyes: ) but cummon. A huge number of GBA games have the exact same Sleep mode function as the DS, it's merely activated a different way. I can't name a single game in my library that doesn't have it. oh and it doesn't save+turn off, it turns off everything barring the memory and little 'sleep' LEDs (present in GBA and DS). More convenient gameplay? Ridiculous statement. There is no such thing as convenient gameplay. Are my teeth happy enough? Is my iMac surreal enough? I can't wait to look at my shoes eating the diplomatic immunity of my vertical neighbours favourite grey Chess piece.

All the new games are coming out to the DS. But did you know there are thousands more GBA games than DS? The GBA has the solid library already, the DS is just building it's own up. To someone who has played neither before it would be best to get a GBA and the 20-30 must have games and then get the DS with the must have 5-10 games.

ps. get the Twins Armour Storage Case. It's cheap and very strong, coupled with the GB Micros robustness it'll go wherever you go and work when you get there.

16. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

when i pop by the mall tomorrow I might get one :D having 100$ bill in my pocket will be too much to withstand.

17. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

You should definetly buy it for that price! A few months ago, I thought my Game Boy Micro was a bargain for £50 ($93 US/$105 Canadian)! Also, some of my favorite games ever are GBA games:

Metroid: Fusion & Metroid: Zero Mission
    Pokemon: Fire Red/Leaf Green
    Zelda: Minish Cap
    Advance Wars 2
    Wario Ware & Wario Ware: Twisted
    Wario Advance 4
    Mario Advance 1, 2, 3 & 4
    Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

Also, GBA games look their best ever on the Game Boy Micro. So, what are you waiting for? Buy one!

18. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

I have both a Micro and a DS... the Micro is a great choice if there are mostly GBA games in your future (The DS supports ZERO multiplayer for GBA games which is what caused me to look at an SP/Micro). The only drawback I see is that Nintendo botched the cables for the Micro. Instead of adapting the Micro's unique link+power port to use existing cables that are out for the SP/GBA, they tried to make an adapter so that the GBA/SP could use new Micro cables. Bad idea.

The good side to that is that it is very easy to make adapter cables, but you will want to get your hands on a couple Micro link cables (since the Micro and accessories are discontinued now) if you want to build one. I am keeping a couple pristine ones around in case I need to build a cable again in the future for some reason. I took the Pelican 'Universal' GBA cable (it can link two GBAs to each other, or link a GBA to a GC), and replaced one of the two GBA connectors with a Micro one. Now this cable can hook my Micro up to a GC (no official connector for this exists), to a GBA, or even to the GBA link cable from Nintendo. Total cost was about 15 USD, and about 20 minutes of time.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Castlevania Double Pack, Mario Advance series, Golden Sun series, Metroid series, Pokemon series, Street Fighter Alpha 3 are responsible for the best gameplay of 2001-today.

20. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Can you just close the lid and have the game sleep (takes all of less than one second)? No. It's less convenient.

But there are a lot of great GBA games and the Micro (from what I've seen of it) is pretty awesome. If you just can't get a DS now, get the Micro for sure.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No, the games require you to push select and the shoulder buttons simultaneously. Last I checked, as a human being capable of loving, of fighting and of thinking it was a relatively or perhaps absolute of low priority on our list of skills. Personally I've never found it a difficult task at any degree.

22. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I ended up buying it today. All they had left were the 25th anni ones that are the same colours as the old game and watch. But its kinda badass since it is all metal. I got Super Mario World with it, i think its advance 2. Small screen but damn...it's so tiny it rocks. a portable that actually fits in my pocket :D :D :D

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Isn't it! when I'm out and about I keep my phone in my left pocket and my Micro in my right. i never knew I'd be doing that when I got the first GBA in 2001.

I'm off to Spain tomorrow morning and my Micro is going to be my mini saviour :D I wonder how it runs in sunlight? I might finally beat Link to the Past whilst sunbathing by the pool... ahh.

24. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

i had the first GBA too and got rid of it because i never used it. But with all the mario games and the final fantasies this lil dude will get a lot fo playing time while im waiting for classes and such.

25. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

This was a fantastic bit of pythonesque thinking. I'll wager it ends up in someone's signature.

I have a GBA SP and it's a very competent little handheld. Picked it up for £20 second-hand from GAME a while back. I bought it because it would plug into my Gamecube, and at that price I didn't see the point in not having one, really.