Game Boy SP?? Worth it?

Discussion in 'Community' started by arnette, May 18, 2004.

1. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

I'm thinking of putting my Xbox and all 5 games I own on Ebay to use the cash and buy a Game Boy SP. Think it's worth it? And before you tell me Xbox is much better, blah, blah... I KNOW that. But I'm thinking portability. I'm hardly ever home at any period of time to break out the Xbox and Halo it up.
    Does the SP have some nice titles I should look into? I remember the old color game boy was impossible for me to play on because any motions would blur the graphics and I couldn't see what the hell was going on! Same thing with the SP?

Thanks!

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If I were you, I would seriously consider keeping the XBox and saving up separately for a portable, even if you can't have it as soon. As with desktop vs. notebook vs. handheld computers, each size has tradeoffs, and it would be a shame if you lost the advantages of a console system and later regretted it.

3. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I would have to see it and play with before I made a decision.

I still think it plays the same old games, so I don't think it would be worth it.

It might be better to wait for the PSP.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You're better off going to a game store to try it to see if it's acceptable. You might want to wait for the Nintendo DS, which is supposedly going to be much more expensive but much better as well.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If the budget is a problem, then rather than buying the newest (PSP or DS) you should be taking advantage of price drops and eBay sales that will result from people moving up to the new systems and leaving their old systems behind. I got two of my Macs that way - bought the old new model when the new new model came out.

6. arnette thread starter macrumors 6502

arnette

You mean I should wait until I find an SP that's under the retail $99? I've scanned ebay and there really aren't any bargains for a game boy sp just yet. In the future, however, who knows.

The DS looks sweet... I just don't want to wait that long. And I have an N64 as well, I'm hooked on Mario Golf, Mario Kart, etc. so I won't be without a console. Even if it is 5+ years old.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

This year, there have been a few times that the SP was offered for $89. I think that's the best you'll see until the DS arrives.

8. arnette thread starter macrumors 6502

arnette

yeah, after I posted I found an SP for $85 for shipping and all thru Ebay. Now I just have to unload the Xbox. cool.

I'll probably brave the local Target to play on their demo (if it works) to make sure that's what I want.

9. remingtonhill macrumors member

remingtonhill

I have an SP

and it's not very exciting. Perhaps a super nintendo in a portable. The screen is only marginally acceptable.

Seems like Sony and others are introducing really impressive portables.

I would wait.

10. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Personally I would wait for the Gameboy DS. It's definitely a big step up in terms of what a gameboy can do. After seeing some of the new games with the stylus integration and multiple screens and reading reviews of it...it definitely boggles the mind.

Sony be warned, Nintendo still know how to make games and consoles.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Don't wait for the Sony......I don't think a portable system with 3 hours of battery life is very portable.

Nintendo will always bring out the quality goods, battery life and all.

12. sethwerkheiser macrumors regular

The wife and I love our Gameboy SP. We bought it for her graduation - so she'd have something to do while sitting there at her college commencement. Hehe...

It works fine for portability. On the subway, train, bus, whatever - I've only played a few games on it (Tetris, Super Mario something, and Zelda) and all of them have lasting game play - enough to make your commute a little more enjoyable.

I'm not sure about the latest and greatest games for the unit though. Go to a local video game store, or rent games from a Blockbuster...

I think it's a fun system. Get it ;)

13. arnette thread starter macrumors 6502

arnette

posted the xbox

The xbox is now on ebay so if you are interested:

HERE IT IS!!

Thanks to everyone.. I just need to find a buyer and then I'll splurge on an SP. I'm more of an old school gamer anyway. More fun with Mario Bros. than with Halo after the 'wow' factor goes away.

14. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

halo sucked anyway... you could even get the new color gameboy sp... it looks like an old school nintendo controller... nifty... if only i could trade my silly blue one in...

15. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

If you have access to a pc you could always try out the Visual Boy Advance emulator and try it out? That's how I made the choice to get one.

I'm not sure, is there a Mac gba emulator?

edit:nvm there is a OS X version

16. arnette thread starter macrumors 6502

arnette

wow, awesome

Thanks, man.. I'm gonna get an SP anyway but that's a cool little emulation site. I've been trying to find Sega Genesis emulators for Mac for a while now. I found a Master System emulator but ROMs are hard to come by.

BTW.. Definitely getting the Flame color, the old skool NES style Game Boy is a good idea, but not for me.

17. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I think the DS should be out this year. They have the hardware built and are just waiting on the launch titles. The PSP isn't built yet (E3 demos were emulated)

18. arnette thread starter macrumors 6502

arnette

PSP

That PSP screen was fantastic and the look of the machine was pretty slick, but I just can't see the battery being long enough to make the PSP worthwhile. Unless it's nuclear powered.

The DS does need a little cosmetic brushing-up but overall it will do better sales-wise. Maybe not out of the gate, but in the long run I imagine it to be less expensive, have a larger library of games, have an initially larger fanbase. The PSPs sexiness will make it sell well, but the DS is more than likely the better portable machine. We'll see soon enough! Or Q2 2005. WHENEVER the PSP comes out.