Game consoles compare to the car industry

Discussion in 'Games' started by Symtex, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2005
    Game console are alot like the car industry, each product is target to a specific audience.

Let's take per exemple the Xbox. Microsoft took the Ford Mustang approach. It's big, bulky got lots of horsepower under the hood, It's not the best handling in the word but you can never replace the feeling of driving a Mustang.

Nintendo is like a Toyota Echo. Small, praticle, economics. Gets your to point A to point B. Nothing flashy but reliable

Sony Playstation is like a Toyota Celica. Slick design, decent horsepower under the hood, good handling.

I could elaborate for hours but I'm sure you get my points. Different console, different market, no bad product just different audience target.
  2. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I prefer to relate the Xbox to something a little better than a disgustang.

I think Nintendo is more like a Volxwagon Bug. Cute, little, and colorful, with no real great things about it. Made by yuppies for a new generation they try to inspire, though fail.

Sony is like an SR71 Blackbird Jet. Fast, slick, lots of reliability and value of replay.

Xbox is like a stealth bomber. It sneaks in with lots of titles that make you, no matter how sick of it you get, play them over and over. Like Halo 2 multi-player.
  3. Abulia macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2004
    Kushiel's Scion
    Funny tangent. My BMW kinda "freaked out" on my yesterday: wipers turned on by themselves, lights didn't work, turn signal didn't work, radio would play, but not CD, etc. Took the car into the dealer and they said somehow the control unit wasn't talking to the "bus" and they had no idea what was wrong. They did a "battery reset" by disconnecting the battery and hooking it back up.

Yes, my car was re-booted. :D
  4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    Reminds me of a story ages ago about a Car Exec saying how badly Microsoft treated it's customers - suggesting that if cars were built like Windows, they'd have to pull over to restart the engine every 100Km's or so. :)
  5. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2004
    Burlington, VT
  6. electronboy macrumors 6502

Sep 27, 2005
    The playstation, when compared to cars, should do better than a Celica. I'm thinking of some better comparisons...

I would not even compare the Nintendo to an actual automobile. A children's powered car from Fisher Price might be a better comparison. We might be able to upgrade the forthcomming Revolution to a Scion xB.

As far as the XBOX, since it overheats and seems to be yet another feat of Microsoft dissapointment, I think it best compares to the Ford Pinto.:D
  7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    If a Fisher Price children's car and would outperform a Celica, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Don't be a fanboy.

The GameCube would compare to a car that is usually treated disrespectfully because of the name despite being a very good brand, and is extremely durable (GameCubes can take more punishment than any other console by far, I have videos of it being dragged behind a truck for a few miles and it being smashed with a hammer and outliving the XBox and PS2 taking similar beatings).
  8. Abulia macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2004
    Kushiel's Scion
    Yea, because that's an important selling point when buying a console... :rolleyes:

Waitaminute, maybe it is. After all, with all the punshiment that a two-year old does to a Nintendo gaming system, they do have to make them tougher! ;)
  9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    We're trying to talk about what to compare it to, not selling points.

Nintendo's selling point is the software. Cars don't have software. ;)

The GameCube is reliable, durable, has the lowest price, and outperforms all but the XBox. I'd buy it if it was a car.
  10. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Add your own cars!

Nintendo makes strong machines that last forever. they're usually the cheapest, used to produce the best graphics (NES, SNES, N64, Cube -on par with Xbox), always head of the rest in terms of replayability (how many of you are still playing Smash Bros Melee?). Reliability through the roof. these things are indestructible.
    I'm thinking the Mini Cooper here.

Sony make foul machines that are prone to breaking. Always (until recently in the handhard market) had the worst graphics, have games in what could be the most horribly designed boxes ever. Everyone has one. Uncomfy controller, attempts beauty but comes off with design flaws (PSP) OR looking wrong (PS2). Extremely money hungry company.
    hmm... Morris Miner? (sorry about the old car mentions, i dont know much about new cars :eek: )

Microsoft make the big beasty machine. Its the most customisable (modded, the Xbox is brilliant. not modded... it isn't), most unportable, most unprofitable machine known to man. Rather than getting together with your friends in a social way you're preferred to play online. the solo machine?
    no idea :D but it would have 1 seat and GPS.

of course if we're talking next gen then its all different. hell! the Rev wouldn't be a car, it'd be some kind of jetpack!
  11. Sharpsk8101 macrumors newbie

Oct 26, 2005
    Florida State Maximum Security Prison