Game Design?

Discussion in 'Games' started by sb58, Jan 25, 2007.

1. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

i'm looking to make my own game, an FPS along the lines of Halo would be nice. i tried using Microsoft's XNA Game Studio but i don't know C# and can't really use it. what other programs are out there? (free would be nice).

2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Personally I'd recommend you start learning C, C# is basically just C without pointers.

But you could give Unity a try, or something like Blitz Basic.

3. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

It seems that nothing beats the power of Unity, which deploys 3D games to Mac and Windows and has a First Person Shooter tutorial. Not free, but has a free trial. Unity has all the next-gen bells and whistles, like physics and reflections. Best of all, you can use JavaScript for your game scripting if you wish. http://unity3d.com

(I've also considered Torque myself, but from what I keep hearing, Unity is superior to Torque in terms of how quicly you can get things built. Torque is a little cheaper, but can take months longer to get a game done in. And you need to be more of a hard-core programmer to use Torque.)

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

low end - The Games Factory
    mid end - Blitz, anything Basic
    high end - C++

It's a C++ coder my mates looking for to start up his own group too :D

5. sb58 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sb58

what's The Game Factory?
    and i'm going to try Unity, thank you. Plus next school year i may take a course in C++