Game installation on Macs & PC's.

Discussion in 'Games' started by mikeyPotg, Mar 27, 2006.

1. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2006
    If you purchase a game that is avaible for both Macs and PC's, can you use the CD to install the game on both the Mac & PC, or do you have to buy a seperate game?
    I know the WoW (and pretty sure WC3) CD's work on both PC's and Macs... but does that go for all games? If not... that sucks. I'd hate to have to purchase 2 versions of certain games.

Also, is there a Mac version of Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth? I thought there was, but when I checked the Mac UB Games listing, I didn't see it. I have the PC version of the first version, and would love to install it on my MBP as soon as I order/receive it.
  2. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Actually, it's kinda rare.

Blizzard has always been very good about that, but they are one of the few companies that puts out games for Both the Mac AND the PC simultaneously (or nearly so).

Most Mac games are put out by porting houses like Aspyr or MacSoft. For example, this means the EA version of Sims 2 and the Aspyr version require 2 separate purchases.

I think you will find tis to be the case more often than not.
  3. paddy macrumors 6502a

Jun 25, 2005
    No very few games use 1 disc for both mac & pc. There are a few exceptions like WoW that use 1 disc. You'll mostly have to order a special mac version.

No I don't think Battle for Middle Earth is available for mac at all.
  4. mikeyPotg thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2006
    ahh, what a damn shame. I suppose this leads to my 2nd question regarding playing games on an Intel Mac booting XP. but this is on a seperate post.
    Thanks for the replies, though that sucks!