Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
All the characters in the book were much younger than on the show. Bran was supposed to be, what, 5? And John Snow was 16?

Yeah something like that. Wasn't Daenerys like 12 when the books start?

Its not funny, but kind of amusing to hear all these people blast the show for being too graphic......like if they only knew how old they were in the books and the even more messed up stuff that happens in the books.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah something like that. Wasn't Daenerys like 12 when the books start?

Its not funny, but kind of amusing to hear all these people blast the show for being too graphic......like if they only knew how old they were in the books and the even more messed up stuff that happens in the books.

Not even HBO could have married Daenerys to the horse rider at age 12...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Looks like the President will know the answers to season 6 before the rest of us...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...top-stories_got-obama-mm-750am:homepage/story

Being the leader of the free world isn’t a bad gig. You get a nice house (with ample parking, right in the middle of Washington), your own jet and, perhaps most importantly, early access to the year’s most-anticipated show.

HBO and “Game of Thrones” showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have made it abundantly clear that they won’t be releasing screeners, The Washington Post reported, which is a decision TV Guide called “unprecedented.”

One man, though, knows how to play the game of thrones.

During HBO’s Sunday red carpet for the premiere of Season 6’s first episode, the showrunners confirmed that the president will receive advance episodes of the show.

“When the commander in chief says, ‘I want to see advanced episodes,’ what are you gonna do?” Benioff said.

This might not seem like particularly striking news, unless you consider the work that HBO has put in during the past year to maintain what the Wrap called the year’s biggest cliffhanger. It matters so deeply to some that one impassioned fan has created an online petition on the White House’s official website demanding that President Obama release information from the screeners.

Reactions: Huntn and obeygiant

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I have read all the books and while I like the TV Version of "Game of Thrones", I prefer the books. I just wish George RR Martin would had written the 6th book before season 6. However, I guess he is one of those artsy fartsy types that likes sticking his tongues at his readers. :p Martin is definitely not Stephen King when it comes to spitting out books.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
GRRM actually has writers block... It takes him a long time to write one of his books, and he has blogged about it several times. The ending should still match the book, but the journey will be different.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have read all the books and while I like the TV Version of "Game of Thrones", I prefer the books. I just wish George RR Martin would had written the 6th book before season 6. However, I guess he is one of those artsy fartsy types that likes sticking his tongues at his readers. :p Martin is definitely not Stephen King when it comes to spitting out books.

The show is excellent, but it's almost like watching an outline of the story, very condensed. If you want the rich version, read the books. :D I've said this before, my impression is that this is a unique situation where a film version of a story outpaces the books. I wonder how it will effect books sales, not that GRRM cares at this point sitting on a mountain of cash. ;) I'll be cuing up HBO Now in May for a 2 month subscription.

Wiki: GOT Season 6 info. $10M per episode. No real spoilers as fast as I read, but there could be a few. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: AlliFlowers

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
I just wish George RR Martin would had written the 6th book before season 6. However, I guess he is one of those artsy fartsy types that likes sticking his tongues at his readers. :p .

He's actually reported that the deadlines imposed by trying to beat the show have given him bouts of writer's block. Makes sense I suppose, but it might mean after this season when it doesn't matter, he can pick up the pace.

Reactions: Huntn

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Frequently teens are played by 20s and 30 somethings. The original Lolita movie, the actress was at least 18. Then we have Grease where all the high school students were in their 30s. :D

Someone actually cast a balding man to play a high school student:

kVtqp8r.jpg

Reactions: Tilpots and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I knew a guy in the Marines who at age 18 was completely bald except for a little bit of hair by his ears.

My best friend (female) in high school was totally grey by graduation. My first cousin (male) was almost completely bald before graduation.

It's a tough thing to deal with as a teen. I was fortunate to keep most of my hair until after the prime years (until I was 50) when typically it's important to males. My brother got hair plugs back when they did corn rows. He also suffered from rotten teeth due to a prescribed drug our mother took during her pregnancy. I've been relatively lucky.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
They covered almost all the characters in the opening episode. Obviously John Snow is not dead. (Why pay the actor to include his body?) The "red woman" will have to bring him back, and fast, or he will rise as a white walker. Everyone else they killed recently at the Wall has risen much more quickly if they didn't burn the body.

I truly believe that when Sansa catches up to Little Finger (one of the few absent from the opening episode), she will kill him for handing her over to the lunatic.

It's nice to have the show back.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
They covered almost all the characters in the opening episode. Obviously John Snow is not dead. (Why pay the actor to include his body?) The "red woman" will have to bring him back, and fast, or he will rise as a white walker. Everyone else they killed recently at the Wall has risen much more quickly if they didn't burn the body.

I truly believe that when Sansa catches up to Little Finger (one of the few absent from the opening episode), she will kill him for handing her over to the lunatic.

It's nice to have the show back.
I realize there's no 6th book, but if the TV show follows the spirit of the books then Jon Snow is a Warg (I believe that is what they called them in the books) meaning that if his host body dies they are capable of taking over another body or animal (wolf). That is why they don't want to be near a bird when they die for then they are stuck for being a bird forever. I think they eluded to that with the Bran storyline (which I think they'll get back to, so no they didn't cover all the characters. ;)) My guess is the 'Red Woman" is going "transfer" Jon's soul back into his body from his direwolf, for after all it's TV. :D

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I was a little disappointed with the episode in only one small area and that had to do with Melisandre. The title, as we know, was The Red Woman. however, there was very little to do with her in the episode. I was expecting her to do something with Jon Snow other than look at him. All we got was that and a revelation that she's not as young as she appeared to be. Having not read the books, this was new and unexpected to me.

Otherwise, it was a good recap and follow up to the finale of season 5 with the main characters. Next week I'm expecting some serious action, especially on the part of the Lannisters. Revenge is going to be brutal I suspect.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I was a little disappointed with the episode in only one small area and that had to do with Melisandre. The title, as we know, was The Red Woman. however, there was very little to do with her in the episode. I was expecting her to do something with Jon Snow other than look at him. All we got was that and a revelation that she's not as young as she appeared to be. Having not read the books, this was new and unexpected to me.

Otherwise, it was a good recap and follow up to the finale of season 5 with the main characters. Next week I'm expecting some serious action, especially on the part of the Lannisters. Revenge is going to be brutal I suspect.

I don't have the best memories these days, but I don't remember that been touched on in the book, the age of The Red Woman. I just know she's hot... ;)

My understanding there are two more book, I wonder what this equates to in seasons?

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I don't have the best memories these days, but I don't remember that been touched on in the book, the age of The Red Woman. I just know she's hot... ;)

My understanding there are two more book, I wonder what this equates to in seasons?
According to these articles (link and link), we'll be getting 2 more seasons after this one (grand total of 8, with the last two split between 13 episodes).

I was expecting Melisandre to have a bigger role in it as well. There's been a lot of speculation about her bringing Jon Snow back, etc, but if I've learned anything from the show so far, its that it is completely unpredictable. The episode description on my DVR was misleading too. "The fate of Jon Snow is revealed. Daenerys meets a strong man. Cersei sees her daughter again." Umm, what? I guess, if they meant showing he's dead, Daenerys's captor, and Cersei seeing Myrcella's body. All things deducible from the last season's finale.

There was a lot of ground to cover, but I thought this episode did a good job of setting up the various storylines for the rest of the season.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
According to these articles (link and link), we'll be getting 2 more seasons after this one (grand total of 8, with the last two split between 13 episodes).

I was expecting Melisandre to have a bigger role in it as well. There's been a lot of speculation about her bringing Jon Snow back, etc, but if I've learned anything from the show so far, its that it is completely unpredictable. The episode description on my DVR was misleading too. "The fate of Jon Snow is revealed. Daenerys meets a strong man. Cersei sees her daughter again." Umm, what? I guess, if they meant showing he's dead, Daenerys's captor, and Cersei seeing Myrcella's dead body.

There was a lot of ground to cover, but I thought this episode did a good job of setting up the various storylines for the rest of the season.

Maybe the books will be out by then. :rolleyes: Lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.