Game Performance on MacBook with Windows XP

Discussion in 'Games' started by JackSYi, Jul 24, 2006.

1. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

I just installed Windows XP Pro and installed a bunch of games to see what the performance of the GMA 950 was going to be like. In the Windows environment more memory is allotted to the graphics card so games run so much much faster. I can now play Unreal Tournament 2004 with all settings turned on; I can play Half-Life 2 at very good fps; and I can play Call of Duty with great texture qualities. I thought the GMA 950 sucked, but it turns out to be a decent card, its just Mac OS X (or Apple) doesn't allow it to be. Every MacBook owner should try to install Windows to play games at high fps with high texture qualities.

2. preeble macrumors newbie

I just installed XP on my MB and will try playing Warcraft 3 tonight. In OS X, playing WC3 was bearable on the lowest settings. I'm hoping for a very nice lift in performance in XP.

3. JackSYi thread starter macrumors 6502a

How much RAM do you have in there? I have 2GB. If you have less than 1GB, you should really look into upgrading, it makes a huge difference.

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I only have 512 Mb of RAM, and Sim City 4 Deluxe Edition runs very quickly – as do the games of C & C: the First Decade

5. JackSYi thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have an update. I just bought and installed Half-Life 2 off of Steam on my MacBook, and with all the settings to medium, the game runs beautifully. I'll post fps later, once I figure out how to do it.

6. JackSYi thread starter macrumors 6502a

You should definitely pay the price for at least 1GB, you won't regret it.

7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Yeah, I know – I'm actually going to grab 2 gigs of RAM here soon.

8. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I've asked this in another thread, but has anyone tried "The Ship" on their macbook? I'm guessing that if HL2 runs fine this will as well.

9. JackSYi thread starter macrumors 6502a

I really want to try it out, anything using Source is awesome. However, I only allotted 10GB to my Windows Partition, so I have no room to install. I'm going to try and install it on my Mac partition and I will post back.

10. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Any word yet?

11. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-JackSYi

I remember reading somewhere that Apple reduces ("Cripples) the GMA950 in favor of battery time. But there is a utility for the Windows side that you can use to open her all the way up. That may should the performance you are looking for.

12. ikonq macrumors member

One word; Rosetta.

Mind you, some games like Homeworld 2 and XIII run well in Rosetta.

13. johnjeffrey macrumors member

What are you guys using to get Windows on your Mac--Boot Camp or Parallels?

14. JackSYi thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know this. Games on XP runs great. I've been playing HL 2 now; the indoor stages are about 40 fps while outdoor levels (water...) drop significantly to about 5-10 fps.

15. JackSYi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Boot camp.