Game Performance Under Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Games' started by paleo2002, Jan 22, 2007.

1. paleo2002 macrumors newbie

paleo2002

I'm planning on getting a new Intel iMac and eventually putting <gasp> windows on it. Of course, the only system resource heavy thing PC's do that Macs can't is gaming.

So, how well are PC games running under Boot Camp/Windows? I'm looking at a 2Ghz iMac if anyone's been using that in particular. Also, I don't mind turning down the graphics. I've been thru MC in WoW on a 800 Mhz G4.

2. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

A Mac under Boot Camp will run nearly identical to a PC of a similar configuration. Find benchmarks of the X1600 in particular to find out about where the iMac falls in the spectrum.

3. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I recently posted a thread regarding my Intel iMac 2.0GHz (2GB RAM, 256MB X1600) playing Far Cry in Windows.

I average abotu 60 FPS indoor and outdoor with all settings maxed (Very High) running at 1280x768

Every other game I have tried runs great as well (Half-Life 2, etc). No word on how this handles current/upcoming games like Supreme Commander/Crysis/etc, though.

4. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

Half-Life 2 played extremely well. Oblivion plays well, although I haven't gotten out of the tutorial as yet (too much fun on the mac side) so I haven't seen the outside as yet.

As a lark, I tried running HL2 The Lost Coast, the HDR (High Dynamic Range) lightning demo, and it was amazing ! I think I did dumb down one or two controls just a notch, as it did stutter once or twice.

I still have to try Counter-Strike:Source and Guildwars, but I don't expect any problems...

So I would state that you can run current games without any problems, even at high resolutions.

My 24inch imac has 2GB RAM and the Nvidia Geforce 7600 card instead of the 7300 card.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Could we please end this myth? no really, is there a way we can do this?

Bootcamp is just a way to instal XP on your Mac. It's not emulated, theres no slowdown, nothing. it just lets you boot up into XP natively. it runs perfectly, no difference at all to a PC of the same spec.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Not likely to happen, unfortunately. At least not for quite a while yet.

7. paleo2002 thread starter macrumors newbie

paleo2002

I guess its really just something you have to see to believe. The thought of a Mac that is actually on par with a PC in both hardware and software . . . its so foreign. People are saying HL2 runs great. I was thrilled by the thought of being able to play the original Half Life!

No more Starcraft for me! I'm going to play games that were made THIS century!

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Half Life 2 absolutely flows on these Core 2 Duos.

9. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Yeah but still, Boot Camp might just be another way of saying Windows on Mac, it doesn't necessarily someone who uses the term bootcamp thinks it emulation or something, he could just be referring to XP on a Mac...

Oh and stop using HL2 as a benchmark, the game might be good looking and everything, but damn its hardly a demanding game, my 9600SE runs it fine :rolleyes: saying a card can run HL2 is not saying much...

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Who on earth said HL2 was demanding? I said it ran well. Want to know what else runs well? Duke 3D, Farcy etc.
    What benchmark? I only say it's a good game :confused:

:confused:

11. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Chone, by Raggedjimmi's claim of HL2 running well I'm pretty sure he means it runs well at native resolution which on an iMac 20" is 1680x1050 if memory serves me correctly. It will play pretty much everything you throw at it right now at native resolution with varying levels of detail depending on how 'demanding' a game is.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

What your not getting is HL2 scales up and down, sure it runs fine on a older low power machine but if you want to run it in all its glory it will use everything you have to give it. Bravo to valve to make a game that doesnt need the latest videocard or can use everything a new card has to give it. Lost Coast does look awesome cranked to the max.

Also I think the reason so many think Boot camp is emulation is because the history of the Mac and gaming in general. It will take time.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hear hear. My feeble P4-2ghz 9600 PC can run HL2 in the monitors native res (19" LCD), my iMac runs every HL2 with HDR on in 1680*1050. The scope is massive.

14. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Was this myth being perpetuated in this thread? If so, I don't see it.

15. paleo2002 thread starter macrumors newbie

paleo2002

I don't mind Half Life as a benchmark. It seems to be the spiritual successor to the Marathon series (FPS with a decent storyline, innovative, highly customizable, etc.) and I'm looking forward to playing it.

As for the myth of Boot Camp being comparable to an emulator, there's the old saying "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is." I, and others I'm sure, can't help but compare how Boot Camp may work to how Virtual PC did (or didn't) work.

Oh, BTW, are there any recommended games besides FPS's? I just remembered CivIV (PC version will be cheaper and expansion compatible). Entropia Universe has been in the news (and by that I mean slashdot) and sounds intriguing. And other suggestions?

16. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

I don't know your gaming preferences, but Oblivion has been recommended by quite a lot of people, and if you like your adventure games, Broken Sword "The Angel of Death" is out there as well.

Oblivion runs very nice on Bootcamp iMac.

Civilization, of course !! :)

One funny thing I noticed : now that I have this super-fast imac that can really run Windows XP extremely well in Bootcamp, well, I don't as often dual-boot as I thought I would. I tend to stick more to the mac side and run parallels if/when I need something from Windows, like updating my psp's firmware.
    So I play less Windows games than I thought I would when I installed Bootcamp...