Game Plan

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My lecturer lent me a book today to help with an essay I'm currently writing. It's about games and how they've changed over the years and provides some very interesting reading on the Nintendo front... note this book was written in 2003.

I know Nintendo would have liked a broad age range since the 80's, but its only with the Rev that it could be possible for such a massive range (cheap price, simple controllers etc.).

And then there is this about what could be the greatest game ever; Mario 128...
    Well it seems that Mario 128 is indeed a Nintendo Revolution game now.

The book also goes on to talk about Mario 64 not being complete. Which is obvious at the end of the game when you meet Yoshi - the game ends so abruptly. Miyamoto wanted something like Star Road in Mario 64 but was unable to add this.

The book doesn't really add anything to Revolution or any secret Nintendo rumours but it is interesting to see where Nintendo are heading (or are they there already? ie. the DS) as a hardware company and also talks about how Nintendo are pushing for new gameplay, as seen in Mario 128.

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Very interesting raggedjimmi, can't wait to see what Mario 128 is like.
    It is always interesting to hear what Nintendo, Sony, and M$ are developing for the next generation (and the current) of games & game systems.

As for now, I am on the fence as to which of the new systems that I should buy.

3. cubist macrumors 68020

Not a big fan of the regular Mario series, but Mario Kart DS is a game with a wide age range (I'm close to 50 :eek: ). I also notice that Nintendogs and Animal Crossing tend to be enjoyed by older players. Good to know that they are intentionally doing these things. They may be the only company really giving thought to the larger concepts.

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Ah mario 64 my second favorite mario of all time next to SMW, and my 4th favorite game of all time behind LTTP, SMW, and OoT

5. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Mario 64 was the BEST. The only game I've ever bothered to play in an emulator since having my 64. Though I liked Mario Sunshine, the wetpack was a blessing in disguise. For one thing it made it super easy and forgiving to do jumps then hover to your destination. But some things were hard and never got much easier like using the spray to defeat certain enemies.

That said, Mario 128 should NOT have a wet pack. But possibly a multiplayer. Maybe some sort of co-op.

6. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Thats another thing jared_kipe!
    In an interview with Shigsy he said that Mario 64 WAS to have a co-op, or some form of multiplayer. But again, it was dropped like oh-so much of the game (apparently Mario 64 is just 60% of what Shigsy had planned). He goes on to say that its always been a dream of his to get Mario and Luigi playing at the same time. He's going for that with the Mario Bros DS which has a co-op mode. but I have a feeling that Mario 128 will be 100% of what shigsy wants... which includes Mario and Luigi finally together in a console game.

7. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

So why is it "M$" and not "$ony?"

Just curious.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Mario 64 is IMO the greatest platformer of all time.

Some rare games are better, but only in different genres (Metroid Prime and Zelda: OoT stand out, but they are Adventure games). There has never been a better platformer.

Shigsy intended Mario 64 to be even bigger and have co-op? WOW. I can only imagine what 128 will be if he does what he wanted.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Because Microsoft has a monopoly.

Sony only wants one. :D

10. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

But not in the arena of videogames.

11. katchow macrumors 6502

hmmm...who has the monopoly on gaming?

12. jdechko macrumors 68040

This is great. I cannot wait for the Revolution and Mario 128. Thinking about all the hype just gets me more hyped up.

13. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Mario 128 will be a hell of a game. some more bits off the top of my head...

Shigsy said that part of the beauty of Mario 64 was the difficulty level. Like you only need a few stars to open doors and new levels. You only need 60 stars to beat the game, but you can play on and get the 120 (or whatever it was). Its also his job to make that extra 60, even though its pointless, a fun experience. and he did, IMO.

I can see Mario 128 fabricating extremely well on the Revolution. Split screen Mario would be a bit annoying, but with the Rev's wireless then full screened Mario 128-ness is possible.

Also, my own 2p... I reckon Mario 128 is just a concept. The way nintendo keep saying that its not exactly a game as such sorta supports this. I think Nintendo have found out a really nifty formula for a game.

14. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I was thinking the same thing - almost like research and development. Mario 128 is the research programme from which successful things are taken out and put into the released Mario games.

It also helps to add to the Nintendo mystique - a mythical world beating game. It's kind of like the Beachboys' Smile album - constantly talked of as one of the best albums ever made, until it actually got released, when everyone realised that it was good, but was actually only an album. I guess if we ever do see Mario 128, it could actually be slightly disappointing. Would love to be proved wrong though. :D

15. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

First, to apologize for two things: OT and not keeping up.

Second, are there any plans to make the DS an integrated part of the Revolution system? Interaction between handheld and console and all that?

Long as we're talking about neat game concepts and all...

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

70% is not a monopoly. Especially when their market share is 20% in handhelds. Sony has competition. Microsoft does not.

Correct. But that doesn't mean we should take off the $, which they earned for their Windows monopoly.

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You need 70 stars to beat the game, actually, but it can be done with 17. :D

18. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Thats what I was refering to when I said (typed) "M$". Thanks for clarifying that for me GFLPraxis! :)

Plus, Microsoft is evil, sony is not. ;) :)

19. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Simple: Fanboys.

20. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

or it could be what mr.Praxis said, which does make sense :rolleyes:

Microsoft is just rehab centre for money addicts

21. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Ha, thats a great one raggedjimmi! :D "Microsoft is just rehab centre for money addicts"- LOL :D