Game recommendation...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Joeytpg, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

hi guys, i'm looking foward to buy a new game, so far i have:

- Call of Duty (Finished it)
    - Unreal Tournament 2004 (still not finished, getting a bit tired of it at times)
    - Return to castle Wolfenstain (Finished it)
    - Lord Of the ring Return of the king (haven't finished it, and it bores me a little bit at times too, don't know why, but i find it quite difficult! don't ask me why! :( )
    - Doom III (almost finished)

i'll eventually finish LOTR and UT2004. Now, what am i looking for?...i really don't know, i've always liked first person shooter type of games, but after call of duty and Wolfenstain i could take a brake (maybe i'll buy call of duty 2 later on) i was thinking about World of Warcraft, but i don't know, it has very high reviews at insidemacgames.com and i know it's a very popular game among the MacRumors users, can anyone talk to me a little bit about it?.....AND in case i choose WoW, which one should i get, WoW 1 or WoW 2? haven't played it before.

thanks for the help.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

PC or console games?

PC go with F.E.A.R
    Console go with Far Cry/RE4/god Of War

Bless

3. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

oh damn, i forgot to tell you were was playing my games hehehe

i run an imac g5 20" 2.0 1.5gb ram

i know macs aren't the "best" machines to game, but i don't really game THAT much, and i know deep inside that if i buy a console it will be a waste of money.....(because i won't squeeze the couple hundred dollars they cost hehe)

4. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Or maybe Mac games, especially considering what forum this is. ;)

As far as World of Warcraft, there isn't a WoW 2. Not sure where you got that idea. Aside from first person shooters, which you seem to be getting a little bored of, what other sorts of games do you like?

--Eric

5. Marathon4ever macrumors regular

If you're looking for a break from FPS's and you like racing games then try out Colin McRae Rally '05. Other possibilities are Civilization IV, Enigmo 2, or Heroes of Might and Magic V, although Heroes may be delayed.

If you want some more FPS action, then Quake 4 is your next game.

6. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

WoW is a great game. If you like the Sci-Fi genre, and can appreciate a very mature, slow-paced (in many regards) game look into EVE: Online. Both are pay-per-play games, but I highly recommend either of them.

Good luck.

7. mac.head.high macrumors regular

mac.head.high

Battlefield 1942 for the Mac feels real solid to me, but if your sick of WWII it might not be your first choice.

8. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

nice...

So, to stay on subject without offending regular posters like 2ny or the well meaning individuals after (though the attentive poster would note that both console and PC games are discussed in this forum, and that macs are indeed Personal Computers), I'd have to recommend WoW.

I'm sure the idea of WoW 2 may have come from www.blizzard.com, since the expansion pack "The Burning Crusade" is listed there between WoW and Ghost as "current projects", but it's probably going to be awhile before WoW-BC is actually released for play.

In the mean time, WoW is a great choice for evolving RPG entertainment. I had 2 level 60's and 2 more characters leveling up before I decided to call it quits. I only stopped because I had exhausted most of the sub-hardcore/20player content and was no longer phased by the epic/purple haze.

Cheers,
    dot

[edit: booo for interupted posts..go 2ny, mac.head', and others that read before lipping!]

9. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

well that's the thing....i'm "kindda" bored with FPS games, i love them still, and as i said i think i'll be buying COD 2 since i really really liked COD, but i wanna rest a little bit...... (specially from WWII :p)

now, let me see, like i said, i haven't really gamed that much......when i was a young lad i used to love fight games (Mortal Combat, etc) but got sick of them.....i'd buy a COOL one tho.....

but like i said i'm not a very experienced gamer so i'm open to suggestions.....i want a game that:

1) won't bore me
    2) i can play for a while without option #1 :p
    3) that's not "complicated" to play, or understand.....i really liked Age of Empires (when i had PC i used to play that game) but what i didn't like what the lack of "action" it's a pretty interesting game, but the lack of action got me bored........

so...with that in mind, what do you think? :)

P.S. isn't there a WoW 2? damn, i thought there was :p well then lets talk about WoW I then

10. javalizard@mac macrumors newbie

11. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I'm going to recommend 'Stubbs the Zombie'

I've had a tonne of fun playing it, and it's out there for the Mac.

12. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

There is an expansion pack planned, not a separate game, but it's not out yet. And you will need the original WoW to play it anyway.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Cave Story.

next to Animal Crossing (DS) it's possibly one of the most re-playable and addictive games since the turning of the millennium.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I wonder if there's a male version of PMT going around these forums. God the bitchiness that goes on would make a SanFransisco queen blush :rolleyes:

To answer postee :-

Ghostmaster is a fun game from FERAL studios. Sims's with ghosts.
    Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 is class, but needs a universal patch. Get's a bit slow on my iMac duo.

:) :) :)

15. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Give Lugaru a try then, from Wolfire software. It's shareware, and relatively short, but definitely COOL. You could also try Warcraft III...it's probably more action-oriented than Age of Empires what with the heroes, and would give you a good background as to what World of Warcraft is about if you decided to get that one. You can get the Warcraft III Battle Chest which is bundled with the expansion; that would definitely last a while.

--Eric

16. Marathon4ever macrumors regular

Well, if Mythic Blades comes out for Mac, then that's your cool fighting game right there.

17. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

guys, i'm very intrigued with WoW.....can someone tell me a little bit what's about? is it a strategy game? what is it really?....

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's an MMORPG. You pay a monthly fee and play online. You play a character, and everyone else in the game (except certain people that give you missions or sell stuff) are other humans. Thousands are on one server. As you play, you get better equipment, level up your character, etc.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That's how Bill Gates answers the phone :)

20. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

oh, so WoW is an online game only? or primarely?? nah, then i don't like it....i'm not into online playing really, never have.

i like Quake 4 (what i've seen so far) it looks kind of like Doom 3 right? i like Doom, but i don't want another Doom.

21. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

It's an online-only game. However, you can play it in a solo manner if you really want to, although grouping will help you complete certain quests. But there's plenty of solo content until you reach the max. level 60, and lots of different character classes to level up on (I basically have at least one of each going). Of course, you'll still be paying the subscription whether you interact with other people or not, but consider that if you're playing WoW you most likely will not be playing (hence, purchasing) any other games, therefore $15/month isn't actually all that much. You should check it out before you dismiss it.

I know you said you were sick of FPS games, but when your sickness wears off you should definitely play Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. It's an older game now, but a great one, well worth playing. It basically set the standard for modern WWII FPSs. Also, MoH: Frontline on the PS2 was a pretty good game.

22. Marathon4ever macrumors regular

Wow, so many deleted posts. It there is a wormhole here? Will this one be delted too? whahahahhaha. do your worst MFer's.

23. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Good god. Worthless posts are deleted, so your above post will probably be deleted too, along with the one I am typing now.

24. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

It uses the Doom 3 graphics engine, yeah. It's a sequel to Quake 2. (Quake 3 was more about the multi-player.) You have squad mates, so you're not going it alone, so in that way at least it's not like Doom 3.

--Eric