Game Recommendations for iMac

Discussion in 'Games' started by jbembe, Sep 30, 2004.

1. jbembe macrumors 6502a

O.k. so I got the original flat panel iMac when the first came out so its a G4 700mhz with 512 Ram. I play Return to Castle Wolfenstein all the time and would like another game to change it up that will work well on this machine. Any suggestions?

2. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

Well, you can never go wrong with Escape Velocity: Nova!

It's an excellent piece of shareware and a remarkable game. I played it on my "old" flat panel iMac for quite a while, and I play it on my Powerbook now.

3. tinydancer macrumors regular

I'm not sure what the system requirements are, but the Medal of Honor Series is great if you like 1st person shooters. Online play is very fun. If your system can handle it, you can't go wrong. Medal of Honor: Allied Assualt single player mode performs better on my mac than does the performance of single player mode in subsequent expansion packs ie. spearhead, breakthrough. The trade off is that while online play is good in Allied assult, it dramacticlly improves in Spearhead, with reagrd to the look and feel of the game, ie. more maps, bettter maps, more / better player models, more / better weapons...... Check it out (to coin a phrase from The Reading Rainbow)

4. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Moh: AA and AOE II are mac classics. They are both older games but they are awsome. Plus Ghost Recon requires a 450 Mhz G3 processor at the least. Your system specs should cut it. I don't have the game but it's the most played game on GameRanger so you'll probaly like it.

5. applekid macrumors 68020

6. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Max Payne, Diablo 2, Unreal Tournament, Red Faction, No One Lives Forever, Sacrifice, Aliens vs. Predator, The Sims...

7. vga4life macrumors 6502

Check out Ur-Quan Masters (aka the classic game Star Control II) - SC2 is one of my favorite games of all time. The company that made SC2 opened the source to this classic game. I found this project the other day and it made my day! The Mac port works like a champ.

It's not a fancy 3d game, but it's got those rarest qualities of all: great gameplay and replayability.

Best part: it's totally a totally free, legal download now. http://sc2.sourceforge.net

-vga4life

8. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

I remember when this came out on the 3DO - it got slated for not utilizing the 3DO's 'cutting edge graphics capabilities'! . I will give it a try
    :)

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Wofenstein RTCW was such a great game! shame the expansion never made it to Mac. im thinking about getting it for my PC. Medal of honor will be slow and you will have to turn it all down, hate to say it but those great FPS need a little more. Stick to some older stuff and you will be OK. Red faction has constant loading which is a drag. UT2003 can provide a lot of fun though no plot.

10. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Actualy MoH will probalythe original MoH will probaly run pretty well as long as he doesn't raise the system specs to high. He may have to lower them a bit but it should be fine.

11. tom.96 macrumors regular

DOOM. Whether you have a 603 or a dual 2.5 ghz G5, Doom is still a game that is awesome in my opinion and everyone should play.

Buy a copy - it don't cost much and you'll love it. You musta played it, everyone has but a lot of people forget just how good it is. I've been playing it since it came out and I still love crawling round the caverns blasting cyberdemons.

Also - the orginal Unreal and Unreal tournament are excellent games. Star trek Elite force (the first one) is a very good game too. Quake 3 is cool also. You've got a big choice of great games for that system of yours!

12. cubist macrumors 68020

I like Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, which is a SW-ized AOE II. It's the best RTS game on the Mac IMHO (don't care for WC3). AOE II is definitely good too. Rise of Nations should be coming soon. I'm not an FPS fan; besides, you need some variety.

Civ3 takes eons to play but is entertaining.

You may like WipeOut 2097 as a racing game. Some folks have said they like Nascar 2000.

13. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I doubt rise of Nations will run on his machine. What does it ask for on a PC? Something tells me the game will be more demanding.

14. applekid macrumors 68020

It's really not that demanding at all. It's a step up from the AoM engine though. I can play AoM with all high detail and at 1440 x 900 on my 17" iMac with a GeForce4MX and only see the frame rates drop when there's a big battle. I expect to play RoN without any problems, too. I may need to drop a few settings though, but I'm sure it'll be great.

Oh, and I just wanted to add this for RoN news: Good news.

:D

15. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Indeed. You can pick up a jewelcase version of Doom at Wal-Mart for $10 that includes Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, and a bunch of extras.

Once you have that, download the Legacy of Doom Source port, which makes the game TRUE 3D, with mouselook. It makes it look better AND much easier and more fun to play.

I see The Extreme Fun 5-Pack at my local CompUSA every time I stop by, and I keep picking it up then putting it back on the shelf. I have THPS 2 for my Dreamcast, and nothing else really interests me, but if you say that Galactic Battlegrounds is good, I think I may get it after all.

I've been wanting to get Wipeout for my Mac for a long time (A friend had the old PSX version which I really liked) but I can't find it anywhere for under $30, which is kinda a rip-off for a 7+-year old game.

Edit: Oh yeah, make sure you check out Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc, also. Quite an excellent platformer there. (Though not as good as Rayman 2 ;) )

16. tinydancer macrumors regular

You can buy this at Wal-Mart for mac?...If so is it PC and Mac version on 1 CD, and will it run in OSX?

17. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

18. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

Warcraft 3 + frozen throne
    Diablo 2 + expansion
    Quake
    Return to castle wolfenstein
    Starcraft / Broodwar

Have fun.

19. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Do you think it will run okay on a 933 Mhz iBook G4?

20. applekid macrumors 68020

Yeah. Maybe a little tweaking here and there, but there shouldn't be any major performance hits from anything.

21. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

I bought Wipeou 2097 for $4.99 a few months ago. It's fun, just like it was on the PSX, but a good controller is a must.

It's $9.99 now at Freeverse: https://store.freeverse.com

22. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Awsome!