Game SEVEN

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by x86isslow, Oct 19, 2004.

1. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

First time in postseason history Game Seven's been forced.

GO SOX!!! :D

2. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

GO SOX!!!!!

fenway faithful, even tho I moved to seattle. Everybody here LOVES the sox!

BEN

3. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i couldn't believe my eyes...i would love to see boston get that monkey off it's back

it will be like when la/california/anaheim angels finally won a world series after so many hopeful and promising seasons/players, or after denver finally won the super bowl with elway, or when steve young finally got his super bowl ring, or when somebody finally won an ncaa championship after the long, successful run of ucla

all good streaks and bad streaks come to an end in sports

i would like to see barry bonds with at least one world series ring...it would be the icing on the cake for with all the hits, rbi's, home runs, and high average seasons he has had in his career

4. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It will be a blood bath either way tomorrow, The Yankees are out for blood now.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't even know who's playing. Bosox and Giants, I'm guessing from the posts so far? I really want Boston to win this, as they have nothing else going for them. :p

I'm guessing my Toronto Blue Jays aren't in it! :(

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Peter Gammons from ESPN just said that Game 7 will be the best game ever in MLB history.

8. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

:eek: :eek: Bosox and Yankees

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Tomorrow will be crazy, no doubt about that. But let's be honest, both teams have been out for blood this entire time. Torre leaving in all of his regulars with a ten run lead in game 3? Not one moment of this series has been relaxed. It's full intensity for 7 games straight. My heart can't take much more!

I think Peter Gammons' comment is silly. Game 7 could be a great game or an uninteresting blowout. Just because it's game 7 doesn't mean it will be amazing. I think it's very unlikely to top some of the ones that we've already seen in this series.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would really like to see Boston win... for all of the obvious Yankee hating reasons. I actually stayed up and watched all of the game last night. Schilling was awesome... in the mold of Willis Reed and the Knicks, Kirk Gibson, etc.

Kudos to the umpires for getting it right, not once, but twice...

As far as Barry Bonds is concerned... hope he never sees another playoff game

Hard to say that a game not yet played will be the greatest in MLB history. The rivalry is intense, but how can you top the whole 7 game series with the Braves and Twins?

That said... I will be watching tonight... hope it lives up to the hype

11. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm rooting for the Redsox by proxy: most of my friends are fans. Plus the Mariners have been out of it for just a little while :rolleyes:

But these games have been incredible. Thank god for TiVo--I don't think I could have stood watching game five at regular speed.

13. cusp macrumors newbie

cusp

Just where we wanted them

Red Sox Nation West is rocking!!

A-Rod will pay for his arrogant bufoonery by watching his team sink beneath the Bronx tonight.

14. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i agree, *that* series was incredible. i didn't see it in person, but from all accounts (and readings i've done), it was an incredible series.

the only reason this one may go down as one of the greatest in history is because of 1) rivary and 2) the unprecedented 3-0 to 3-3 series swing, especially given game 3 was one of the most lopsided games ever.

i'm personally calling a blowout tonight. hopefully in sox's favor, but i can easily see yankee bats coming alive and destroying derek.

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think it's time for the Sox to have another shot at a World Series title, and they've certainly shown their ability to bounce back. I'm worried about tonight - Yankees at home in a must-win situation - but the Sox have momentum on their side (of course, so did the Yankees - big time - after game 3). I don't think I've seen a more rag-tag looking team in my life, but they've got a lot of heart, and I'll be glued to the set this afternoon.

Also, my grandfather was signed to pitch for the Cardinals back in the day before getting injured at work (yes, so far "back in the day" that players had day jobs), so I've been a lifetime Cardinals fan (live outside Boston now, grew up in central Illinois). While it's not looking so good for the Cards, I would absolutely love to see an all-red World Series. Best case: Cards vs Sox. Acceptable: Cards or Sox. Worst case (for me): Houston/Yankees.

16. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Go Sox!!!

I was just amazed that the umps got together and were able to make the right call twice.

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That was a really intense ending to Game 6!

And I'm just talking about the final couple of outs. Never mind that they had to have riot police on the field to make sure the Yankees fans didn't get too crazy. That was bizarre.

Go Bosox!

18. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Yeah, now that was nice :) I'm so excited for tonight's game, hopefully I'll be able to watch most of it :D:D

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It is awesome to see this historic moment in Red Sox history unfolding. Tonight the owners are opening Fenway to the fans for free entrance. Will be able to watch the game on a jumbotron with other fans. The Hancock building, each night has been turning on and lights in a scientific manner to spell "Go Sox." Hopefully fans will be able to behave themselves.

20. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I guess I am a pessimist. I can just imagine this ending with perhaps the worst heartbreak of them all (well... second after buckner). Probably I've just been a red sox fan too long. :p

Of course, should they win... the celebrations here will be unprecedented.

I would submit that those who think "it's just a game" or "it's only a little entertainment" don't understand what baseball means to true fans. Every run seems enormous, every strikeout a turning point. These past few days, I've pretty much had a heart attack with each pitch.

Which, perhaps, is the problem. I think most true fans of both teams feel the same way, and perhaps the players do too. This, unfortunately, has taken on the importance of the world series... making it all to easy to forget that there are two powerhouse teams in the NL who have no intention of rolling over and dying for the winner of the ALCS. Just like last year...

21. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

QCassidy-

i agree with most of your points, except that should sox lose, i wouldn't think it's as devastating as buckner. i feel fairly good that the sox made it back this far, period. of course, it would be incredible to top it with a win tonight, but it won't spoil the last few days i spent glued to the tv and holding my breath.

playoff baseball is an incredible spectacle. every pitch, every swing matters... and i love the crowd, collectively going up and down emotionally with what goes on the field. being that the game 7 is in the bronx, let's hope that we won't hear much crowd tonight.

this sort of reminds me of the 1975 world series (from what i read about it, i am not old enough to remember it)... game 6, a proud, once-dominating pitcher everyone wanted on the mound for a big game pitching and winning (tiant and schilling) and game 7, quirky, headcase guy pitching... (lee and lowe.) hopefully, the ending will be different. :)

22. x86isslow thread starter macrumors 6502a

all i know is that i'm locking my door and bracing the windows of my dorm room tonight. whether we win or lose, the drunkards shall roam, taking much with them. :rolleyes:

23. howard macrumors 68020

howard

you mean the prudential building not the hancock right?..or is the hancock doing it as well?

24. King Cobra macrumors 603

This game will be one of who can make the least mistakes. The Yankees had game 4 but blew it, they had game 5 and blew it again with (my opinion) lousy mid-late game pitching, and they lost game 6 from not getting enough hits in the right areas. The Red Sox pitching and defense was unexcusable in game 3, and they missed several opportunities in the first 2 games. Additionally, I've noticed that for the past 2 games, the Yankees leave runners on the bases and strikeout at 2 outs just enough to make me go nuts. So this game will be one where the winner of game 7 is the team that makes the fewest mistakes. I'm thinking that now that the Yankees are aware that they face elimination, they are beginning to concentrate just a little more on what should and shouldn't be done. Likewise, I would expect that the Red Sox will do the same.

One final opinion about this game: Many to all of the patterns of both the Red Sox and the Yankees in terms of what they did during the last 3 games will break tonight.

25. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I'm not really much of a baseball fan, but I have been following this in the news and I will definitely be watching tonight. I just hope that the Red Sox can do it. They have already done the previously unheard of by forcing Game 7 so why not do the even more outrageous and win the thing after a 3-0 deficit.