Game Suggestions For Someone Who's Busy....

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mr. Anderson, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So I'm getting a Quad soon and I was thinking of picking up one or maybe two games - but I'm not sure which ones I want.

I don't play much (time issues) but I do have Halo, MOH, MOH Spearhead and Civ III. And while they'll probably run nicely on the new quad, I'd like to get something a little better and more recent.

I'm curious to try Starwars Battlefront - but are there any really interesting ones out there that maybe I don't know about.

Also, not much for online involvement - again, time issues. But should I get a usb or bluetooth game controller? And if so, which one?

Thanks,

D

2. mkluskens macrumors newbie

Games for busy people

I have both Star Wars Battlefront and Battlefield 1942. I find them both nice for a quick game, either single player or multiplayer on line. BF1942 has in game internet server access which gets you in a close by game quickly. For SWBF you need to use Game Ranger and it's not always easy to find a game let alone a close by game (one with a good ping).

You might wish to try the demo of Escape Velocity Nova, you can quit out of the game at any time and jump back in for a quick couple of missions.

Also, Nanosaur 2 is rather nice, I have only played the demo because I have limited time.

Overall I like BF1942 the best. Nice range of vehicles to drive and fly, there is a sub in the multiplayer conquest game play but that gets boring after awhile.

3. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

4. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast are both fun games.

5. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

EV Nova isn't exactly bleeding edge Mac Gaming - I've played it and eventually got a little bored.

Nanosaur 2 is on my wife's iMac and I got to level 3 and got bored.

And don't get the wrong impression - I love games. I've played and finished Halo a number of times (different difficulty settings) and MOH was great as well. I never did get all the way through Spearhead because of that stupid glitch in the version of the game I had - and that was years ago it seems. I'll probably start with that and get through that stuck level (hopefully they'll have patch for that now).

But what about controllers? Is the mouse/keyboard still the best option?

D

6. Golden_315 macrumors member

As far as controllers go I advise getting a USB mouse/keyboard. Wireless isn't the best option for gaming and it becomse a battery whore. Go optical mouse and whatever wired keyboard you like best.

7. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

How does BF1942 run on everyone's mac? My PM G5 with an X800XT gets about 2-10fps on everything low. It's a crazy fun game when it works though. Getting a bit dated though.

8. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'll be getting the wireless key board and mouse upgrade with the quad - I like my wife's on her iMac and I have enough cables as it is.

Two monitors, three computers and a ton of peripherals - but once the quad gets here, the Sawtooth might get retired...

D

9. cvalda macrumors member

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3. It'll look amazing on your Quad and it's perfect for quick pick up and play sessions.

Also: Stubbs the Zombie (although it is very average).

10. aspro macrumors 6502

Um, I think something is seriously wrong here, my PB plays it much better than your G5, and it is MUCH less powerful than yours.

11. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

If you're getting a Quad, you'd better be playing Quake 3 Arena :D

I got re-re-re-hooked on it yet again...

Oh, and nethack ruined the last two weeks of my life.

(edit: oops sorry, i missed the 'recent' requirement)

12. osiris315 macrumors member

osiris315

I agree with Jedi Outcast. I love the Star Wars games!!
    Have been playing it for anhour or so when i get home from work since September.

Give Enemy Territory a go too. Another freebie that's very addictive. :cool: