Game Tester Am I

Discussion in 'Games' started by camobag, Jul 10, 2006.

1. camobag macrumors regular

camobag

Yes, it is true. I am a game tester. Actually, soon to be a full-time game tester. I am completed stoked about getting the job so much so, that I thought I would try to get any feedback about being a game-tester/things you think I should look for as a game tester.

Replys from some hard-core gamers would be schweet.

2. AppleGuy08 macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

sooo...you test games in your basement?????? orrrr who do you wor for.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

do everything possible. button bash, do silly things like run into walls holding items etc. uncover those bugs dammit! It's actually a pretty tough job. beta testing takes up more time and effort than anything. I mean I spend time making the game, but then you have to play it, whilst trying to look at the game as a new player. pretty hard!

so what testing do you do - gameplay, bugs, difficulty? etc. out of curiosity. and who for?

4. camobag thread starter macrumors regular

camobag

I just got the job at Microsoft Gaming Studios (MGS), but I won't be just playing XBOX 360 games, but also computer ones too. I've actually never game tested (luckily the manager who hired me said "I can make a good tester, but I can't make a good person") so I don't know exactly what type of testing I will be doing. Assuming I've never done it before, I'll probably start looking at game-balance, etc.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is nice! Where exactly did you look to get that job? I know someone who would love to get into the industry somewhere and that sounds good.

6. camobag thread starter macrumors regular

camobag

I actually talked to people I knew at Microsoft and they lead me to the right people. I know, it's kind of unfair. But, there are a number of places needing gamers in the greater Seattle area, and southern cali. I wish I could be of more help!

7. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Congratualtions..err...i mean I'm sorry. I knew a few full-time game testers and it is not something fun at all. In fact you'll probably grow to hate gaming. Or at the very least never be able to play a game like you normally would again.

However it is quite exciting to tell people you test games, plus you might get your name in a game somewhere and test games way far in advance of release. Plus the scarring will heal in time.

8. kouljackson macrumors newbie

I want somone to test games with an Average computer...let me say that again "AVERAGE", i want somone with a real life budget to tell me how good a game will play. PC gamer only tests games on the state of the Art games. I wanna know how a game will feel when I play it.

9. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

EA Games here is always hiring game testers, sometimes they have requirements like male, under 25, under 18 etc. they pay well too, enough for a young person to live on comfortably, but they limit how long you can work for them ,

I almost always sign up but then have to pull my application when I realize it wont work with my class schedule...:( ,
    plus my part time job pulls in more money than working full-time min wage jobs all the other students work...

10. kouljackson macrumors newbie

This must be the fast food job equivalant in the Computer Industry...but hey, you get played for playing a very small portion of a video game, so be it.

11. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Your working for Microsoft? We can't be friends anymore.

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

My advice to you:
    Try EVERYTHING. Walk into every wall, while jumping into it. There are so many secrets with cracks in the game world in games that you either:
    A) Fall through and die or get stuck
    or
    B) Can jump off of and get to areas you aren't supposed to

Try every item on everything you can.

Have fun :)

13. sk1985 macrumors regular

This job doesn't seem too fun at all. You mostly replay the same game or the same couple of games day in and day out. I personally couldn't do that. You play the same level over and and over again. Not to mention you have to play crappy early builds which aren't all that fun to play at times. Gaming is something people like to do on their spare time. I can't see someone enjoying a job like this for too long. But if you can stand it, then more power to you. Best of luck with the job.

14. unfaded macrumors 6502

I was one too. Graveyard shift. You will laugh when you get your free copy of the game, as you are months past wanting to play it ever again.

15. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

As a game tester, you will find that your job will not be as easy as it seems. There is one general rule, though. Do NOT behave like a normal gamer. Behave like a really stupid person.

Normal gamers will try to do the right thing. At that point, all (mediocre - good) gamers are unlikely to find any bugs at the game, simply because no unexpected things will happen. Ex. a mediocre or pro gamer will not run into a wall constantly or jump and jump until he falls on the edge of 2 intersecting paths, causing collision detection problems.

It's the silly player behavior the one that you must simulate in order to find bugs and be a great game tester. Do things unimaginable, try to CRASH the game.

Be very judgmental. There are some common things that you should look in a game, according to its category:

--Platform Games: Platform games often suffer from collision detection problems when it comes to jumping. For instance, landing on a point were 2 paths intersect, often makes the character stuck inside those paths and never get out.
    --FPS:problems with fast weapon switching and bullets that do not find their target visually, but eventually hit him (for example the bullets pass under the arm of the enemy, which means you should have missed, but eventually you HIT the target, even if you shouldn't).
    --Action games: That's harder. Many problems with collision detection. Make sure you have gone everywhere, searched every corner, and killed EVERY enemy. The worst bugs in these games are the bugs that do not seem to be bugs. For example, in puzzles, make sure that no matter what way you used to solve the riddle, it will work as expected.
    --Racing games although that they may seem difficult, they are easier to test. No riddles, puzzles or triggers that will change the level in any way. If you are not playing an arcade game, but a simulation however, things may become tricky, but not as much as they would become in any other genre.
    --RPG: The WORST of all! Slow testing curve, you must explore every path, take every quest, and ensure that the numbers (the ones that show your agility, intel, strength, damage etc) are being properly divided, multiplied, subtracted or added to your current stats. Those games take more time to complete than the other games. I hate them.

These are things you should be careful about.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup, RPGs are a pain to make and test. The coding has to be really solid, not a single leak anywhere as the game most likely uses a global engine for the battle screen and world map and has to be tested in every scenario, every character and every enemy... etc etc.

I tell ya. there are countless BETA testers in the freeware/shareware world, and there isn't a single good one. I think all of them just do it so they can laugh at everyone who hasn't played it. they only contact you if they reach a massive block that prevents them from getting any further.

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

But you get the bragging rights of playing games before everyone else and get to go to E3. It's worth it :D

Unless you are testing RPG's. That would make me cry.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Good for you mate. Reality is with most jobs, who you know really pays dividends and there is nothing wrong with that.

Enjoy (p.s. any chance of freebie games for all your mac supporters here ;) ) :D :D Only Joking, best of luck with the New job !!!

19. camobag thread starter macrumors regular

camobag

Wow. A lot of interesting advice. I read a lot of stuff about game-testing before I applied, so I already understood that the job isn't about "playing." But I'm just happy for the new experience and maybe a chance to get into technology. Too bad I'm working for Microsoft - I'm kinda surprised they hired me because I worked at an Apple store :) But hey, it's video games!

One question: how do you become a test-lead? I mean, sure, you have to be a good tester, but what kind of stuff do you have to do as a test lead?

20. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Like any job, a lot of butt kissing and brown nosing. Just a hunch.