Game Violence Debate is Shot Down

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Mar 1, 2007.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

V.good article from IGN

2. kjr39 macrumors 6502

It won't matter. Heck, they tried to blame Marilyn Manson and rock music for Columbine...

3. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I could understand blaming a video game for a violent outbreak if the child is under 10 years old. In that age group I could see how the child has a hard time distinguishing between a video game and reality.

But once the age group starts going up you can't possibly blame video games, because these kids know right from wrong (or should by this point) and they know that what they're doing can hurt people.

Personally I blame the parents. In nearly every school shooting that you hear about on the news it always comes out that the child didn't have a very good relationship with their parents. These kids don't have the positive influence in their lives that they need during their most influential years.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

It's about time people start taking responsibility for their own actions and stop blaming everything else.

Bless

5. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Never going to happen unfortunetly.. :eek:

6. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

So sad.... and unfortunately, so true...

What's even worse, is the fact that it has become a politcal tool, used and abused by people who have NO freakin' clue.

7. TheGimp macrumors 6502

I agree with David Byrne of the Talking Heads, who claimed in the liner notes of "...Stop Making Sense" that TV violence only affects children and teens who encounter domestic abuse at home. My take on it is that parents who decide to beat and/or verbally assault their children should probably not give them violent games for Christmas. It's only common sense. I prefer to see game violence as empowering to prepubes, fostering in them a sense of hope and priority based on a newfound nonconceptual realization of what mayhem their maturing bodies may be able to inclict on other maturing bodies as they level up every few months.

8. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

The subject has been proven false time and time again......

9. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Unfortunately that doesn't stop Jack[@$$] Thompson from coming out of the wood work sprouting his violent game hate mongering and useless (false) information.

Seriously - I don't think we'll see an end to this debate until he's stripped of his law license(s) and more importantly - parents decide to grow a spine and take responsibility for poor parenting.

10. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

QFT

On a side note: I hope Mr. Thompson dies a slow painful death from someone who is allegedly brainwashed by these violent games.
    They could put it on is epitaph.........:D