Game with Skype

Discussion in 'Games' started by spyker3292, Jul 7, 2005.

1. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

The best way to talk to friends while your playing online with them is to use skype. Anyone Agree?

2. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

If there was a way to get around the 5 person conference limit and high processor usage then the program would be much better. On the other hand, the sound quality is very good.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

On the Mac. I think Ventrillo is better on the PC.

4. Church macrumors regular

Church

I like skype for talking to my friends when i'm not playing games, but when I am, I use my beige box and teamspeak, and only for teamspeak. Grrr, someone port ts or vent to mac already!!!! I hate dealing with that free piece of beige painted junk.

5. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Netfone *used* to be the best option for cross platform com. Skype seems to be pretty heavy to use during online play (both bandwidth and processor). I agree, sound quality is pretty decent...but it seems once you get 5 people going at once, it's really hard to keep those connections running during games. Someone usually always gets dropped.

6. MadPsycho macrumors newbie

Yeah but ... I prefer IChat ;)

7. spyker3292 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ya ichat is great but I get load screeching noises when I talk

8. MadPsycho macrumors newbie

Try to set bandwidth to none :D

9. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

i think skype is great for online games with other people. i play quake three with my buddies all the time and its great to consolidate your team and stuff like taht

10. 12ibookg4 macrumors regular

11. spyker3292 thread starter macrumors 65816

12. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I recently got an email about the Gizmo Project and I tested it out with my clan one day. Here is my conclusion: Doesn't sound as good as skype (which i would guess Teamspeak and Ventrilo don't either), but uses a lot less bandwidth and processing power. Also The Gizmo Project has conference rooms which you can call into for free and they don't have a limit on the number of participants. I think it still needs work, but it is a great start to replacing skype with open standards.

When I played Call of Duty on my PB (see sig) I only lost 5 to 8 frames on Brecourt, which is an improvement over Skype which caused me to drop 15 frames.

13. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Ventrilo is terrible. It has the most asstastic GUI ever created.

TeamSpeak is going places (like a 'special' child). The next version will have codecs that put the Vent codecs to shame.

TS3 will be extremely high quality. And hopefully, those lazy 'f-worders' will have ported the mac version by then...

The amount of money that those guys make (which is absurd) has made them extremely lazy. But once TS3 comes out - there won't be any question as to which client is the best.

Skype is pretty cool (even though their phone minutes cost a ton) - but yeah, high CPU - meh.