Gameboy Emulator?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by advocation, Dec 9, 2006.

1. advocation macrumors member

Do any of you know of a decent Gameboy Emulator for OSX? Also i'm looking for a Rom of any Pokemon game :)

Any ideas?

2. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

I haven't personally tested it, but I have used this guys SNES Emulator (BSNES) and it works great, so I'd assume that the Gameboy one would be just as good:

http://www.bannister.org/software/kigb.htm

As for the ROM, this isn't really the place to talk about that. Google is your friend though...

3. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Just wanted to add that I just downloaded and personally tested this emulator out and it works great, have fun!

4. kittenbear09 macrumors newbie

which emulator on the site did you use? The one you linked to is a gameboy color emulator, not GBA. I am trying to go through the ones he has listed to figure out a good GBA, but the roms I have been downloading wont let me save in Visual Boy Advance

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

KiGB is the one that has worked with the least problems for me. So thumbs up for that.

As for ROMs, you'll have to look for those yourself, I don't think we're supposed to talk about stuff like that.

6. jbuk macrumors regular

VisualBoyAdvance, though no longer in development, has a fairly well-working Mac port.

ROMs are of questionable legality unless you have made the backups directly from cartridges you own personally, I believe, so you won't get much help finding them on here, I'm afraid.

7. seanythecanuck macrumors newbie

Help

I have downloaded visual boy advance 1.7.4 for mac and have tried loading roms such as pokemon yellow, blue and red in .gb files. It loads, the screen is black, then it goes white, then it expands a bit, then goes black again, then makes a strange sound and closes itself. I have tried boycott advance as well but none work? Please help!

8. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Maybe bad ROMs? I haven't had any issues like this with VBA or KiGB.

As for recommendations, I like VBA better then KiGB, but use KiGB sometimes because it supports Super Gameboy borders and GBC emulation at the same time, as well as tricking the ROM into thinking its being played on a GBA (good for games like Zelda: Oracle series). Supposedly the Win version of VBA can do this, but it never founds its way into the mac port.

9. Arrandale macrumors regular

VisualBoyAdvance 1.7.4 works excellently for me.

You just have to make sure that the ROMs you get are explicitly compatible with visualboyadvance. The visualboyadvance website itself has some good links.

Happy playing!