GAMECONSOLEWAR thread...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by krossfyter, Apr 8, 2002.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Please tell us what game console you side with in this bitter war and express why you side with them? Will it be Nintendo's Gamecube, Microsofts Xbox, Sony's Playstation or any other.... that comes out on top? EXPRESS ON!

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I hate to say it but:

X-Box

Halo, Q3 Arena and most important: it runs on nVidia chipsets.

Not to mention it's CDs aren't on those cheesy black blanks.

3. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Hmm, as for what's best, probably xbox. But as for who I like more, Sony. Cuz (as all good Mac users should) I dislike MS. And Nintendo just haven't been all that competitive for a while now.

4. Six macrumors regular

Gamecube first... hehe, i like the games, and i just got my hands on 007, agent under fire, and that game is sweeeeeeeeet on my cube... this summer i plan on getting a PS2 (after school's out) and playing GTA 3 for awhile... so basically anything but x-box... although halo would be cool, i dont really think theres any other reason i'd want it...

just my two cents..

5. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

here's a thought:

I figure if all you buy of MS is their embedded HW then you're encouraging them to get out of SW by putting your money into other divisions. I'd much rather buy an X-box and encourage M$ to get out of SW than buy a PC for Gaming and put 1 more XP liscence on the books.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have a Nintendo 64, haven't played in over 2 years because I really don't have time any more. Once in a while I will play a game, and that's on my Mac (Myth(I,II,III), Diablo2, waiting for Halo. So I'd have to say I'm voting for the Mac, not a console.

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Oh come on Dukestreet........

that's like saying you didn't want to waste your vote on either of the two losers from the D/R camps so you wrote in George Carlin for prez. :rolleyes:

8. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Re: here's a thought:

That's a good way of looking at it! I'm of to buy heaps of MS hardware!

Now there's a sentence I never thought I'd hear myself say... :(

9. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: here's a thought:

ahhh...but you could buy a OS less pc and install Linux...cant you? or build your own pc and not have to deal with anything MS...by going linux.

am i right or maybe i dont understand your last point in that respone.

10. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

OO7 on the gamecube is sweet aint it! i played for the first time yesterday and its way more impressive than the previous one.

11. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

I think the main advantage that Nintendo has, is it's ability to make superior games. They have been making innovative quality games since before the 90's. And this will continue with the GameCube, and improve on it. Nintendo is getting more third-party developers, which means more variety in games. And hopefully less kid games. But I've also read that the Nintendo GameCube is the easiest console to design games for, which will mean more games.

12. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

The most recent video game system that I own is a super nintendo. I just don't see the need to spend that amount of money on a gaming machine. If I want to play a game I could simply go to a friends house that has a newer system.

I would like to buy a gameboy advance though.

In regards to which systems side that I am on, I am leaning towards nintendo since it was the company that I grew up loving. But I have yet to see a game that is worth buying.

Playstation 2 on the otherhand has a kickass collection of games such as GTA3, Metal Gear solid, and Final Fantasy.

X-box on the other hand really sucks. I have used it. The controller is HUGE and downright ugly. For some reason they have this gigantic logo in a bubble in the middle of the controller. At first I thought it might do something, like the screen on the controller of the dreamcast, but it does nothing.

13. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I will tell you who will win the console war once you are able to pry my SNES from my cold, dead fingers.

Alex

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I have a playstation that I haven't used in well over a year. I built the game peecee during the summer to just play games on (and a backup when I need to be online and my TiBook is out for repairs :( ).

I am waiting to see if Halo gets released for either Mac (I really hope so) or the peecee before getting a console system. That will probably be the deciding factor, which one has the games that I really want.

Until then, I will stick with the Mac and peecee for my game platforms, since they both have the games I care to play. At least for now.

15. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Hmmm...this is a toughie...

I haven't played a 'Cube yet, but once Zelda and Metroid come out I'm buying one.

I love my PS2, just got Final Fantasy X...droooooooool...it is starting to age in terms of raw processing power...I mean, it's soooo last year...:rolleyes:

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Oh come on Dukestreet........

Ah, actually, Elroy Jetson would be my vote.

I did say I have a N64, thats all I've played on so I can't say one way or another about the other machines. So my 2¢ are actually worth only 1¢, I'm still allowed an opinion.

17. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

I tired to play Halo at CompUSA but the Xbox there was messed up....It would play normal for 2 seconds then stop ....then continue with that. I could never play the game. I wasnt impressed to say the least. I tried playing it at my friends house but he was having the same problem. This gave me a very bad impression of the xbox.
    Ive never had or seen these problems with the gamecube...since i have one. I got it because of the games that were going to be on it....Zelda, Mario Sunshine, Metroid....etc....etc. I played a ps2 of course....played GT2 on it and I was happy. Its a very nice looking machine and the car games rock...but compared to the cube and box its far behind in proccessing power etc. However.....the PS3...nicknamed "The Cell" will put it on the same level or above that of the cube and box in graphics.
    The first console I ever had was Coleco Vision (or something like that cant exactly remember the name) and then I got an Atari 2600. I loved that system. The only thing i was pissed about was that everytime I bought a game I looked at the cover and then I would play the game and the game graphics would never look like the cover art. That ticked me for a while until I understood why the hell that was going on....mind you I was wee little. The next system I got was the original nintendo...and this blow it all open for me in terms of expectations. I new after that that gaming and graphics would greatly improve...so i waited all the way untill the gamecube to buy another console....since I gave up gaming for a while between then. Okay im out!

18. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

the X-BOX rocks. i've played Halo on it without a hitch. i was very impressed with that game. i've still got a PS2 now, i'm waiting for Final Fantasy 10 to come out here in Australia. after i've finished with that it'll probably be time to get a new console.

19. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I have a PS2 cause it come out first. I have tony hawk 3, gran tursimo and Gran theft auto 3. They all rock. I was going to wait for a gamecube but the PS2 looked so good at the time.
    AND I would never buy anything from microsucks cause they suck and they didn't use good processors. Who wants intel in a game console let alone a computer.

20. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I have a playstation, the original, boxy design. The thing hardly ever gets used though. I probably play on my old SNES more often! The older, story-based games seem to have more appeal than the new graphics-based ones, for me anyway :)

21. blogo macrumors 6502

I preferer a ps2 instead of the x-box

it's 3 times smaller, got better design, got MUCH more and better games and it cost one third of the price. The quality on a ps2 is also higher than the x-box ;)

22. spuncan macrumors 6502

Catalog or Performance

PS2 has the imense back catalog of all psone games along with decent graphics and quality for smething dedicated to games. XBox has much better graphics and quality but alot fewer games (which will grow). Gamecube well I had an N64 and there were a few good non-childish games for it but not many. And the Gamecube has even fewer maybe if I was 8 I would have a different view. But I gave up on Consoles (To much time doing something that only improves hand eye coordination) I now pretty much have one really good game to play EVN which is really good and I recomend it to any Mac user.
    UGH me can barely play UT on my 233

23. iGav macrumors G3

krossfyter I felt exactly the same about the games for the 2600, the cover artwork always looked so cool, and then you play the game, and it's like hey...... thats not a Ferrari... that's two red coloured rectangles......:p

If I had the time to play games, I'd be inclined to go with the PS2....... 3 reasons....... :

• It has the largest back catalogue of games, and most of them are very good!!

• The grafiks are still up to scratch, and they will get better over the next 24 months as they are developed to full potential!!

• It has the best aesthetics of any games console...... especially in Up-right mode!!

The X-Box so I've heard is supposed to have amazing graphics, but it remains to be seen as to whether this is enough to secure it's future!!

And I don't doubt that Nintendos effort is going to be very good... technically..... but aesthetically the Gamecube is just horrible, horrible, horrible looking........ dare I say worse than the X-Box...... but design is ultimately subjective, so that is only my opinion...... but i can see it's appeal though!!!

I just don't get to play with my current work load!!!:rolleyes:

24. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I wonder....

I have to wonder... since the heXbox is essentially a small peecee, would the games that run in it also work in a peecee made for games? I built a game only system last year (without an intel chip inside, went AMD :D ) with high end all the way (NOT cheap). I also tossed a dvd-rom drive into it. I would rather be able to play heXbox games on that then shell out an extra $300+ to get one or two games. I KNOW that I will play the games, beat them eventually, and then the console will just collect dust. I don't mind paying $50 for a game, but I do mind shelling out $300 to microshaft.

I have been patiently waiting for Halo to come over to the computer side, but it it doesn't, I will need an alternative. Maybe someone will come out with a hack to get that to work. It would be even better if someone came up with software to allow people to run heXbox games on their G4 systems. Now THAT would be sweet :D.

25. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm into nostalgia...

I still love my Atari 2600!!! :p