GameCube 2 Rumored To Use G5

Discussion in 'Games' started by Elan0204, Jun 12, 2004.

1. macrumors 65816

Elan0204

While not confirmed, IGNcube lists two current rumored system specs for
    Nintendo's next console, currently codenamed "Revolution."

Microsoft previously announced that they have already chosen the G5 (or at least an IBM PowerPC processor) for the XBOX 2 (MacRumors Thread), and now it looks like Nintendo might too. Nintendo already has a relationship with IBM, since the current GameCube uses a PowerPC processor, so using the G5 in their next system seems logical.

Here's a link to all IGNcube currently knows about Nintendo's "Revolution."

2. macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Yeah, the Xbox 2 and GC2 are both using ATI graphics and G5 or G6 chips.

3. macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Yep, that's quite interesting. I'll expect I'll be picking up one of those when they're released. I love my GameCube.

2.7 GHz G5 or even dual G5s sounds quite interesting and powerful. And the amount of RAM is a huge increase. I believe the gamecube has 32MB system RAM and 8MB VRAM currently.

But I'm more interested in the fact that Nintendo appears to have something more up its sleeves besides pure grunt... :cool:

4. macrumors 603

I predict that maybe a year after Revolution's release, we'll see a portable version of Revolution, sort of like the PS2 toned down to the PSP, and will carry a toned down G5 in it. Don't forget, we're talking no earlier than 2006 or 2007 for that to happen, so be looking for today's fast processors to be in mini-computers and videogaming systems "tomorrow."

5. macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

You mean we'll see a G5 GameBoy before a G5 PowerBook? ;) :D :p :eek:

6. macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Sounds great. I love my GameCube....especially with the GameBoy Player attached.

7. macrumors 68020

40 MB of system memory. I don't remember how much VRAM though. I'd expect over 16 MB and at highest 64 MB (which I doubt).

Anyways, rumors are just that. Revolution will hopefully be a system to kill all of the others.

Nintendo Europe was yelling at Microsoft for pushing the market in the wrong direction. It was something along the lines that hardware shouldn't be top-priority, but instead, gameplay mechanics (which I've always completely agreed on.) and that they're rushing to release the X-Box 2 because of their weak market-share.

It sounds like the hardware for the Revolution is too high and the X-Box. Sure, it could be a G5, but the clockspeed sounds too high. But I could be wrong. I'm sure it'll blow us away at next year's E3.

8. macrumors G4

Mord

the game cube dose not use the g3 it uses a PPC440 which is completely different to the 750 series.

9. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

How'd they get 2.7ghz G5s?? I thought IBM was having a lot of trouble with the G5, and they are going to need a huge liquid cooling system if they are going to be at 2.7ghz! I want them in Powermacs!

10. macrumors G4

Mord

there pre production ibm has 3GHz chips but not in production because it's yeilds would be so low

11. macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Actually, I think GameCube has 40MB RAM altogether - 32 system and 8 VRAM. The Xbox has 64MB shared RAM between video and system.

They sound low but that's what they are. The PS2 has 2MB VRAM I believe (which explains its shocking low-res textures).

Games consoles are much more efficient and much better programmed than computers running games.

I agree though that GC2 and XBox2 specs seem too high. Especially when it's looking a lot less likely that we'll be seeing 5-6GHz G5/G6/Pentiums, etc in a couple of years time.

12. macrumors regular

Danrose1977

How is that working out for you? I want one so I can play through fopur swords (zelda) and castlevania.... what are the graphics like blown up for a TV (I'm imaginung it looks like a snes, or super famicom if your from Japan!)

13. macrumors 6502

Doesn't that chip also have a partial altivec implementation too?

14. thread starter macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I knew the processor in the GameCube was an IBM PowerPC chip, but was not certain which one exactly. So, before posting I got my information from a Google search for "processor in nintendo gamecube" and the second link was to a company selling development tools for the gamecube and they said:

Since they develop for the GameCube, I assumed they were right about the processor being a G3 derivative. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd like to know where you got your info from?

15. macrumors 68000

Jovian9

It's great. The graphics are good too. It has a border that you choose to put around the game so it does not stretch out. 3 gameboy Metroid games and now the classic series games make it well worth it.....plus over a thousand other gameboy games.

16. macrumors 6502

17. macrumors regular

With only a small amount of RAM, VRAM, and a 2 year old ATI graphics processor, the GameCube is an amazing game machine. This is why I don't understand why:

1 - A Mac with significantly more RAM and a better video card doesn't seem as good.

2 - Why everyone whines about 32 MB of VRAM being "unusable" for computer games when current consoles have 8-16 MB max. VRAM.

Oh well...either way, I look forward to the GameCube 2, which if using a G5 should be competely backward compatible with all the current games.

18. macrumors regular

Danrose1977

Cool, guess I'm going to pick one up on Monday...

19. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Given that is said that game box manufactures make nothing on the boxes themselves, but rather the games, why not work with Apple on a true gamers PM or iMac with emulation software?

20. macrumors 68020

Which is quite true. There's no OS (or a small one in the case of X-Box and Dreamcast, but even then, the OS isn't usually loaded to play games) and there's nothing running in the background. It's basically one program for all of the hardware. Not to mention, the hardware is very well integrated. Game consoles are built with gaming in mind. Computers are not. Also, the TV resolution is much poorer than a computer monitor's. So the graphics card doesn't have to worry about huge screen resolutions. And, console games are tweaked until they are perfect since you won't any special high or low settings to guess-and-check with.

So don't be surprised when your G5 is running Halo poorly compared to that 3 year old X-Box.

21. macrumors 68020

Why not just make games for computers in general?

Well, I e-mailed Nintendo 5 years ago with a similar question. Video games and consoles are their bread and butter. They need both. Nintendo still finds consoles to be profitable.

Also, the hardware is always the same. You don't have to worry about varying hardware and anything else crazy. Consoles are simple. Computers are not. All you need is a controller, not a keyboard and mouse. A console is cheap, but a computer is not. You also only need your TV for a console. A computer requires quite a bit of space. A monitor, the computer itself, peripherals, etc.

Console gaming is a more profitable business, now more than ever. PC games rarely get a triple-A release on their side compared to the consoles. A decent console game can easily sell over 250,000 copies. A decent PC game will sell be less than at. And a triple-A game can only reach the near-1 million mark. Console games are often able to surpass that in a short period of time.

22. macrumors 601

jaw04005

I have the GameBoy player for my GCN, and I think it looks fine. Nintendo places a border around the game, but you hardly notice it after awhile. They also include lots of options such as smooth, sharp, and normal filtering to enhance the GameBoy game.

Four Swords for GCN just came out.

I always heard the GC had a G3 chip also. I guess not. I love my GameCube, although some of the games are addicting... Animal Crossing.

23. macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Great game, I just got done playing it. It's probably going to be pretty boring once I beat it though.

24. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I understand where you are coming from, though I really wonder if Nintendo gets a profit from the box.

What I am talking about is a convergence product from Apple in working with Nintendo or Microsoft that would "seal" the hardware specs of the computer. Maybe a "gMac" based on the entry level eMac. For Apple it would give them a system that would not need the revisions that they currently need to maintain interest.

25. macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Consoles are sold on the "Gillette [razor] model" which means the box is sold at a loss (even at full price when it first gets released) but they make a packet on the games.

This was a problem for Sony when they first launched PS2 in Japan. Because it was, in effect, a cheap DVD player that could already play Playstation games, they bought it but no games (because there weren't any good ones for some time to come). Hence, Sony was selling lots of loss-making hardware but no income-earning software.

Nintendo is known to produce the GameCube more cheaply than Sony and Microsoft. The Xbox has been a massive loss in terms of the hardware involved. This is why I'm skeptical of 2.7GHz G5s in the next gen Nintendo console.

Nintendo has the highest liscencing fees for its games so makes the most money from its games. Certainly, with the N64 at least, Nintendo took half the money of every game sold, but I think they have slackened this a little now to encourage more third party development for GameCube.

Most PS2 games make a loss. Same with XBox. The odd gem of a game does really well (Grand Theft Auto, Mario, Zelda, Goldeneye, etc) and can sell 10 million copies eventually. This can be a good thing as it encourages innovation.