Gamecube Component Cables

Discussion in 'Games' started by jdechko, Mar 14, 2006.

1. jdechko macrumors 68040

For those of you who are interested (you may have to be in the US) I just ordered a new set of component cables for the Gamecube directly from Nintendo for 29.99 + 5 for S/H. The guy said they had about 400 left in stock right now.

Call them up at 1-800-255-3700.

In 3-8 business days I'll be enjoying 480p :D .

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'll be on 480p later this year :( I hope to hell the Rev supports 480p for Rev games, and fingers crossed supports 480p for older Cube games. Monitor output must mean some form of progressive scan.

3. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Don't forget they removed the digital-out on newer GameCube models so be sure your GCN has one or those cables will do you no good! :D

I ordered mine awhile back same time I got my TV that could actually support them.

Also, hold the B button then turn the system on; that will cause it to ask if you want to run in Progressive mode!

~ Hao

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Didn't Nintendo offer to swap anyone who had the new, digital outputless GC with a refurbed one that DID have the dig. connector? I can't remember.

As much as I'd like to get a set of these, $35 is just to much for me to spend on them when the Rev is within a year of release and I STILL don't have a DS. :p

5. jdechko thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah, though it may be a remanufactured GC. Anyway, I got one of the original GC's that have the Digital out. I also have an HDTV and several Progressive compatible games. So spending the $35 on the cables is worth it for me (and $35 is way better than spending 85 on eBay).

6. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Thank the Christ child...

Thanks a lot man. Just ordered mine.

7. kballard macrumors newbie

Oh man, thanks! I'll have to call tomorrow, but I've been meaning to track one of these cables down for a while now.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

More than likely will, but remember NO PAL games support 480p. That option was taken out of them..

Though if like me, you import nearly all your games it shouldnt be a problem.

9. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

I wonder why not. PAL GameCube also has no support for S-Video which is very odd. Doesn't Nintendo want it's GameCubes to look their best in PAL territories?

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Nintendo doesnt give a flying rat's ass about Europe generally.
    Even back in the day of Sega Megadrive (genesis) & SNES. The sega machine was a bigger seller and I think the big N have held it against us ever since :)

That's why with the cube I decided to import everything. Thank god for freeloader - but what's the betting freeloader will be scuppered on the REV? :rolleyes:

11. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

By the way. F-Zero looks gorgeous in 480p and Wide-screen. No slowdowns or skips. I think it's the best game to Showoff the difference those component cables can do.

12. jdechko thread starter macrumors 68040

I'm really looking forward to Metroid Prime :cool:

13. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

Oh ya... i forgot does anyone have a list or know where to find a list of the games that support progressive?

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

F-Zero is the better looking in 480p
    Metroid looks lovely too & so does WindWaker, some games though don't really benefit at all. MarioPowerTennis for example...

15. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Here is a decent one. (It's also good for XBox and PS2)

It also list which games can be played in widescreen.

Unfortunatly, it's not 100% up-to-date.

http://www.hdtvarcade.com/gamecubelist.htm

16. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

Nice! Didn't realize so many could be played widescreen. That makes my day. If you or anyone else here finds anymore list be sure to post.

On a side note. where in Montreal are ya?

17. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I'll keep an eye open for a more up to date list. That one is missing some recent 480p games such as Chibi Robo.

Nice to meet a fellow Montrealer. (There's quite a few on MacRumors) I live near the Joliette subway station. Got a real nice view of the olympic stadium from my living room's window. I work downtown near Place Ville Marie.

18. kballard macrumors newbie

And now I just ordered it. Awesome!

Oh, and that customer service representative was the most friendly and helpful of any company I've ever called. Seriously. Ah, Nintendo, how I love thee..

19. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

Just placed my order 3-10 days. The women on the phone told me its a very popular item this week and that her manager asked her to report numbers on them at the end of the day. She wouldn't tell me how many are left.

I'm in the Pointe myself. My view is of the skyline from my backyard.

20. jdechko thread starter macrumors 68040

congrats to everyone who was able to order them. I was really surprised that they even had them when I called. I guess we just got lucky. :)

21. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

Thanks again for sharing the luck!

22. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Thank you much for the info.

I was able to get one ordered today. The rep that helped me said they are only selling one per household. These things must be flying of the shelfs!

I called a good friend who is a big time gamer and he said: "OH WOW! I gotta get one!"

I've always been impressed with Prime's graphics on an old TV with analog video. I can't wait to see it in 480p!

Is there anywhere we can see screenshots of standard and 480p screenshots of Gamecube titles?

23. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

ordered. :D

though i don't yet have a tv that can use them, it looks like they're soon going to be hard to come by, and they last thing i want to do is hunt down a used set on ebay for twice the price :cool:

24. jdechko thread starter macrumors 68040

It's not a problem. Kinda like the Gmail pay-it-forward thread of old.

I guess you do need a new sig. Heh. :p

25. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Oh, thought I'd share this in case someone needed it as well:

I found the Pelican HD System Selector and it seems to be a *great* deal. It is a component system selector that also works as an Ethernet Hub. You can find it on Amazon.com and Wal-mart has better pictures.

I'm ordering one soon because my TV only has one Progressive Component Input.