Gamecube digital cable

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well I got my cube a long time ago now, so it has one of those digital outputs on the back.
    Me question be - would I get any benefit from using that port with a digital cable on my *future* Dell 2005FPW? What does it output too? please say DVI-D!

I've been looking on Lik-Sang but they only have a japanese cable. I dont even know if that will work :)

Also what benefits would I get from digital? Would it enable progressive scan?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I bought a digital cable for my Pansonic Q - it s basically a component cable, I hooking it up to my DELL W2600LCD, not sure if the normal cube version is component or proper DVI?

The panasonic q cable basically allows the progressive scan option on games.

To be honest though 480p and 480i aren't that much different.

3. zach macrumors 65816

zach

i would disagree, 480p is a hell of a lot better. i don't own a progressive scan display, but i've played Metroid Prime on a progressive scan display and the graphics look far better than anything the Gamecube has to offer now on a regular screen.

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I've been hearing that PAL GC games do not support progressive scan. I know you can output easily with a Panasonic Q but I'm sure I've heard a regular cube can output into 480p. I'd love to finish my game on Windwaker on my monitor in 480p :)

5. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Yes it allows for progressive scan in games that support it (not all do, check the back of the game to see if it does). The cable is component, so you wouldn't be able to hook it up to the 2005FPW.

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

The 2005FPW has S-Video and composite though, so you can hook your 'Cube to your future 2005FPW. Not digitally, though.

7. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Nintendo decided not to have the PAL GC's support the digital out.

Sometimes you wonder about the company.

:confused:

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I was one of the lucky people to get a Gamecube with digital out. When Nintendo noticed no one was buying the component cables they stopped making Gamecubes with digital out.

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

The current GameCube doesn't include digital out. If you do have a PAL GameCube with digital out the best you can hope for is a very crisp interlaced picture unless you pay for Freeloader and buy NTSC versions of the games. The PAL GameCube will output at PAL60 though if you do have digital out and your TV supports it.

10. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Bugger :) looks like I'll be sticking to the composite cable then. or whatever that wee yellow thing is called and eagerly await to see how the Rev will reproduce my Cube games.

11. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

12. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

The digital cable? Component=Analog

I know if I start typing facts I'll be here for an hour so I'll just post links.

This is the "Digital Video" or "D-Terminal" cable. It's an official Nintendo product. And it's why that extra port is called the Digital Output. It looks like a normal VGA cable, but it's not. There are Japanese and American standards for it. I've never seen a D-Terminal HDTV:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-24-70-ll.html
    http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=76&products_id=777&
    http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/DOL-009.html
    Ooo, here is a PS2 version:
    http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/SCPH-10330.html
    An Xbox 360 version:
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bq-47-fly-70-11qr.html

No one outside of Japan can really utilize the cable without some extra work around. The product reviews have some suggestions. Wonder if any of them actually work.:confused:

13. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

14. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

i, or interlaced uses all 480 lines simultaneously but also refreshes simultaneously and thus loses it's crispness for moving images. p (progressive), alternates lines as it refreshes and yields a better picture for images that change a lot like video games. I've noticed quite a difference between the two on my TV (supports up to 1080i and 720p). I'd like to get my hands on one of these 1080p models they updated.

15. cvalda macrumors member

No one bought it because you could only get it from their website.

Nintendo is doing this AGAIN with the USB wi-fi adapter. Not enough people will buy it (because it's not made WIDELY KNOWN), so Nintendo will pull it and say it has something to do with people not wanting to go online with their games.

Nintendo makes no sense these days.

16. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

I'm an idiot

Is D-Terminal even digital? It's like those old VGA cables that had the 5 BNC component connectors on the other end right? It's like the Japanese equivelance of scart? So why does Nintendo even call that port digital if all it outputs is analog?:confused:

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah...and Nintendo opening up wi-fi access and supporting routers is showing they don't want an online. Yes, I know it's very annoying to get the Component cables. Still, anyone who REALLY wanted them would go out and get them.

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=52&products_id=1468&

18. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Mine has it, and I only got mine about a year and a half ago

19. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

You can buy the wireless dongles in shops in the UK. A mate in Ireland got on earlier today. Play.com stock them as well.

20. jdechko macrumors 68040

21. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

You talkin to me?

Are you replying to my rant about the digital output not being digital? That solution is still analog. It's not converting the signal to digital it's just using the 4 analog vga signal pins on a DVI-I connector. Most tvs with a dvi port use DVI-D which is missing the 4 analog signal pins not to mention the whole HDCP problem. these tvs usually use vga as the pc input.
    You could combine GameCube Component Cable +
    Sanyo DVI to Component Cable + DVI to VGA cable to connect your GameCube to any computer monitor or tv with vga input. The same can be said for the PS2 and original Xbox as well (360 already has VGA cable).

22. jdechko macrumors 68040

Actually, it was to the OP. It sounded to me like he wanted to know how to get from his digital out port on his cube to his 2005FPW with a DVI connector (a computer monitor, not a TV, which I believe supports DVI-I). I was just offering it up as a suggestion.

Nevermind, the 2005 FPW has a DVI-D input, not DVI-I. According to DISCOMMUNICATION, that product will not work as I thought it might.

23. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

hmm, im getting confused here ^_^

Im gonna ask a question that might be a bit noobish/silly...

If have a UK(PAL) gamecube, with a UK(PAL) game (lets say resident evil 4), and i bought a TV that had 480p, and then plugged in my gamecube, would resident evil 4(or wind waker, f-zero etc) play in 480p?
    or do i need a special cable to "wake up" the gamecube's 480p feature?
    If this cable doesn't exsist in the UK... what is the point in having 480p if i can't use it?!

I sure hope revolution can use 480p easily, and with ALL regions.

peace

24. jdechko macrumors 68040

You need a gamecube with the digital out port on the back of the cube, next to the av out. You also need a set of the nintendo component cables, which are pretty expensive (30-40 bucks, in the US). Then you hook up the component cables to your TV from the digital out, and the Audio cables from the AV out, start up the game and hold down the "B" button. The game will ask if you want to enable progressive scan mode, and you select yes.

I dont know if that will work for the UK version, but thats the way it works on the NTSC version. Also, your cube may not even have the digital out port. They stopped putting it in the console after they found out that less than 1% of users actually used it. If they'd actually made the cable more readily available, it would have probably been more.

See here and here

25. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

are you sure your not just talking about US(NTSC) games?

when i hold B as a game is starting up, if anything happens (it depends on the game) it asks if i want to go into 60Hz mode (as apposed to 50Hz which is slightly slower and the colour is a little less vibrant i think).
    My (normal) TV (and most new ones today) can support 60Hz, which is way better. older ones can only play in 50Hz.

Is this "60Hz" the same as "progressive scan mode"? sometimes i hear yes, sometimes i hear no.

also, would these cables you talk about work on my PAL gamecube? with a PAl game in the UK?
    if so, where can i get my hands on one? : ]

if not, well i don't have my 480p TV/monitor yet anyway : ]

thanks dude