GameCube games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by risc, Sep 10, 2005.

1. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Hey all,

After messaging GFLPraxis I went ahead and bought a Nintendo GameCube a couple of days back, I've got Starfox Adventures, Pikmin 2, Mario Kart Double Dash, and Super Smash Bros Melee. I also have Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Metroid Prime 2: Echos, and Mario Power Tennis ordered. Any other essential GameCube games I should be looking at?

Cheers!

PS: Nintendo hurry up and deliver my component video cable!

2. chubsta macrumors newbie

If you like shooters then you can't beat Ikaruga, and Legend Of Zelda:4 swords is a really fun game - great as a 1 player but even bettter as a 2/3/4!

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

4. nodmonkey macrumors member

Hot games.

Enjoy your cube! Here's what I see as a list of top titles all GameCube owners should at least try (other than those you already have).

Super Monkey Ball (now available on other formats, but here first, and still excellent)

Metroid Prime (the first one, not made obsolete by the second; plus it has a much more rewarding final few battles)

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (a game of excellent scope and novel gameplay which can seriously mess with your head)

F-Zero GX (if you want to RACE HARD. this game is FAST and to unlock the courses, cars and 1-player story modes you have to give it your all... the difficulty is infuriating, but rewarding when you succeed.)

Viewtiful Joe (A cleaner and funnier game than the sequel. Original and challenging platformer.)

Resident Evil 4 (Beautifully made game. You don't have to be a RE fan to like this one, it's a departure from the mode of play, but it stands alone gloriously.)

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (It may look a bit Kiddy and plain, but this game has great wit and is much bigger than you might at first imagine. The first couple of chapters get you used to the game mechanics, but the involvement and desire to keep playing kicks in thereafter.)

Super Mario Sunshine (A disappointment to many because of it's inventiveness and move away from the feel of 'pure mario' because of the (almost) permanent inclusion of the water-pack. The criticisms don't hold up against the fact that this game is just fun, full of great ideas and can be a real challenge if you decide to go for 100% complete. Only drawback is the end boss is far too easy after the challenge to get there!)

:)

5. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Burnout 2 is a cool one. MGS: Twin Snakes is a must!!!

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

sorry if i overlap what games you already have, or what others have said but my essentials list. in order of greatness too;

F-Zero GX- could possibly be the best racing game I have ever played. I loved the N64 game, and the first time i played this I hooked everything up to my 5.1 on the 32" widescreen and wow. every part tingled. its very hard though. to complete the game you really need to put the effort in, but its worth it just to unlock the godly awesome AX tracks.

Windwaker- only recently i've gotten back into this (F-Zero wiped my cheap 3rd party memory card so i just gave up for 2 years) and its better than i remembered. i'd put this on par with Ocarina of Time now. the combat is the best part of this and its just a really pleasant game to play though.

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes- remake (not port) of the greatest MGS game to date. very good it be.

Smash Bros Melee- greatest multiplayer game there is. even better if you like old Nintendo stuff, brilliant dive into the past.

Metroid Prime 1 and 2- play 1 first, then 2 (the advances in 2 make it hard to go back to 1, i find). 1 is just all round brilliant and 2 is a lot harder, a bit more level based and doesn't have the same feel that 1 had.

honorable mentions go to Wave Race, Viewtiful Joe, Eternal Darkness, Rebel Strike and Mario Sunshine.

7. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I just got Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and its pretty badass. And Beyond Good and Evil is awesome.

8. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

I second Beyond Good and Evil. Also I don't know if you're into this kinda thing, but Mega Man Anniversary collection has all the old-school Mega Man games (Mega Man 1-8 I think). Also, Mega Man X Collection is coming out soon, which will have all the old Mega Man X games.

9. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

Id DEFINITELY recommend Resident Evil 4! Also if you like star wars, the rebel strike games are pretty good.

10. Rovias macrumors member

Out of my Gamecube library, here are my favorites:

The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition
    The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
    MarioKart: Double Dash
    Mario Power Tennis
    Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
    Metroid Prime
    Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
    Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Super Smash Bros. Melee
    Tales of Symphonia

I should also add that all of the above games can be found for $20 or less if you're willing to do some intense searching. For example, I picked up Sands of Time for $1.99 at Circuit City. Yes, that is $1.99, not $19.99.

I also recommend:
    Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (w/bongos)
    Resident Evil 4
    Pikmin 2
    Ikaruga
    At least one Mario Party game

11. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

$1.99??? Was that a mistake on their part? Im assuming so because that would be crazy.

12. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You got all the basics, but DEFINITELY get and beat the first Metroid Prime before you play the second (they sell it for $9.99 used and $14.99 new at GameStop).

Also, I personally loved Super Mario Sunshine (despite the theme which many consider to be 'gay'). I'd recommend it since you can get it for like $5 now.

The other posters recommended every game I would.

I'm sure you've played Spider-Man 2 on your other console. If you haven't, go buy it now. Immediately. $20 new at Best Buy.

Have fun :D

14. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

I would reccomend (it it out now, I played it a E3) Killer 7. Good for a cel shaded game. Also get the new Zelda game (whenever Nintendo feels relesing it!!!)

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Just really hope you got the GameCube with the component out, some of the new GameCubes don't have it.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/nintendogamecube/hook_component.jsp

16. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Doesn't help that it's, as far as I know, unsuable on PAL GameCube's anyway. :rolleyes:

And I'll just second the vote for Eternal Darkness. It's a great, great, game.

17. risc thread starter macrumors 68030

risc

Yeah I certainly did. It took me trips to 4 game shops to find a Platinum Silver GameCube with digital video out, I've got a component video cable on order from Nintendo Australia and that should be here tomorrow, or Tuesday.

Nintendo sure are weird though the Platinum Silver GameCube may or may not have digtial video out, and both models have the exact same part number. I actually had to get people to open boxes for me, all of them looked exactly the same minus the digital video out. Strange! Oh well I'm glad I've got what I needed.

Component Video works fine on PAL GameCubes as long as you have digital video Out. Nintendo Australia sell the offical GameCube cable here, and the manual for my GameCube also has instructions on getting the machine to boot with progressive scan enabled.

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

And that's EXACTLY why only 1% of GameCube users use the progressive scan. Nintendo did not make it easy.

19. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Hm.. Didn't know that. Thought it was disabled.

My black GameCube has the Digital AV Out behind, but the manual doesn't mention it all. Seems like an online store here began selling the component cable back in late May, this year. Might have to consider it...

20. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Wait, is it possible to play at a higher res on a game cube? Like you can on super monkey ball? Would the cables be able to handle a higher res or are they limited. I wonder how gamecube looks like on a plasma.

21. risc thread starter macrumors 68030

risc

From what I've been able to gather (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) but the GameCube runs at 480i or 480p I haven't found any games that run at higher resolution than that. The component video only gives you a much clearer picture, and enables 480p if the game supports it.

If the GameCube does handle higher resolutions the component video cable will enable that feature.

22. mateybob macrumors member

Resident Evil and Resident Evil Zero are both awesome and better than Resident Evil 4 imo. The remake of the original on GameCube is one of the best games ive ever played.

23. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

If you enjoy RPG's, I strongly recommend Tales of Symphonia.

24. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

If you are OK with gory games:
    - Metal Gear
    - Resident Evil: 0, Remake and 4 (pick up 2, 3 & Code Veronica if you haven't played them)

Some other titles you should not dismiss:
    - Animal Crossing
    - Metriod Prime 1 (I think its a lot better than 2)

25. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Both of the Star Wars Rogue Squadron games are exellent - really the only reason I keep my GC.