Gamecube on Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by AdamR01, Mar 10, 2003.

1. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2003
    I was just sitting around and thinking, wouldnt it be somewhat easy (although its still laughable to say easy) to emulate a Gamecube on a Mac considering they both have PowerPC based CPU's. Or am I just completely crazy...

Any comments?
  2. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Sep 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Re: Gamecube on Mac

I would agree. AFAIK the GC's vector extensions aren't as sophisticated as Altivec, so it might be possible to emulate them through Altivec (although a few might have to be done as a series of scalar operations on an array, which would be a bit slow). It seems like all you'd need is something to translate the vector instructions, whatever the gamecube has for firmware, and something for reading roms (and since the GC uses minidisks, a normal DVD drive might be able to read them).

<edit> Even better. The PS3's going to be PowerPC. :) A bit trickier to emulate though (<--- massive understatement) </edit>
  3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    And now all we need is about 50 willing programmers willing to give up years of there lives to create a massive program that would illegal emulate Gamecube a massivly popular gaming system.

4. AdamR01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2003
    Hey, i'd be glad to do it if i had more programming skill. I'm still in high school. I know a little Visual Basic, Pascal, and C++. But no where near enough skill to make an emulator. Maybe after i start to learn things in college. I only thought of it because I was playing Resident Evil 2 earlier on my Gamecube and I realized the Gamecube had an IBM processor, so I did a little research.
  5. idkew macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    this has been discussed before.

try a search.
  6. AdamR01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2003
    Last time I did a search I got flamed for digging up an old thread (albeit on a different message board).

(Edit: Upon doing a search I dont even see anything Gamecube Emulation)