Gamecube/Ps2/Xbox 360 -> VGA TFT Monitor...possible?/cable mess?

Discussion in 'Games' started by arcsbite, Feb 20, 2006.

1. arcsbite Guest

ok, basically, I am moving this week and the office is smaller and therefore I need to hook up all my gear to one monitor...

I have a GC and a PS2 and plan to pick up an Xbox 360 next month (so please factor in future proof)

I'm using a VGA TFT monitor from my old PC instead of the portable TV which will have to go.

is this set up possible? and how?

I have a VGA switch which I used to use for my PC/iMac-2nd monitor and want to hook the GC and the PS2 up to the VGA switch.

will getting PS2 VGA cables and GC VGA cables do this? can I do the same with the 360 when I get it?

is it that simple?

thanks.

2. mulze22 macrumors regular

Do you know where you can get PS2 VGA cables? I am looking for one so I can hook up my PS2 to my monitor.

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

just save up for a dell 2005FPW then you can plug everything in, cables are expencive and a new screen is fairly cheap.

4. arcsbite thread starter Guest

The 2005FPW is over £500 which rules it out.
    plus, I have an iMac and 2 17 inch TFT's with VGA, so the last thing I need is another monitor right now.

I am planning to get a new monitor when I upgrade my machine, but this isn't likely to happen till September.

the VGA->PS2 and VGA->GC cables are around £10 each which works out cheaper than a new monitor.

5. arcsbite thread starter Guest

I've found them on ebay uk for around £10-£15, unsure about them in the states though.

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle?client=safari&rls=en&q=2005FPW&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

about 280 if you look hard enough, sell both the lcd's that'll make about 200 quid the cables with shipping ect or full retail price will end up being about 15 each, which will take you to 45. your going to get annother moniter anyway, why not just get the 2005FPW now.

7. arcsbite thread starter Guest

I've looked hard enough, trust me, there's a whole thread based ont his here.

that's £280 before V.A.T. almost £400 inc.
    plus, it's 2 cables, so at most it would be £30.

do you know what inputs the 2005FPW has? and would it accom for the PS2/GC/360
    if so, it may be worth biting the bullet and buying the monitor now.

my problem is that with my edu discount, I can get a 20" apple cinema display for the same price, but the inputs aren't the same

*sigh*

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

the 2005FPW has composite s-video vga and DVI inputs, you'll still have to buy a vga cable for the 360 to hook it up but the ps2 and gamecube should plug right into the composite inputs

oh and the ebay buy it now auctions include vat, unless you suffer ebayphobia, which you should really get over if you do.

oh and "g5 intel imac" tehehehehe

9. arcsbite thread starter Guest

great thanks.

ummm...huh? I've been using ebay for about 4 years, I know, just unsure what you're reffering to here.

Did I miss something? *confused*

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

calling your imac a "g5 intel imac" is paradoxical, it's like saying "AMD pentium 4 pc".

as for the ebayphobia it's just a hypothetical.

11. arcsbite thread starter Guest

no, I understand you were being hypothetical, I was just unsure why you mentioned ebay.
    the link to the 2005FPW you gave me was a froogle, the £289 one was a company, not an ebay auction and it clearly stated Ex VAT, inc VAT was about £400.
    hence the confusion.

...and I just saw the ebay one.

nevermind lol.

it's a refurb with 28day RTB, so not worth the hassle

12. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

lots pop up for around that much, new and sealed, just keep an eye out, personally i'm waiting for a 2405FPW so i can run 1080i from my 360 without the ****** downgrade to 720p conversion all 1080i HDTV's do now.

13. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

VGA goodness

You could just get a cheapo $50 VGA box. They even have component input. The next step up from there is an upscan converter, but these are usually plagued with problems.
    Choose one:
    VGA boxes @ Lik-Sang
    VGA boxes @ PlayAsia
    Oh, you said you needed to hook all your consoles up to 1 monitor. You can get a passive video switcher with component video off Amazon for about another $50 like this one.

14. arcsbite thread starter Guest

Wow, now i'm confused lol
    so i'm guessing the cables aren't enough?

so many options...

15. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Don't be confused

Trust me, a vga box will solve your problem. It even lets you switch between your PC and video sources.

16. arcsbite thread starter Guest

see, now you've got me thinking.
    my plan was to wait till september and buy my new monitor with my new machine, but now i'm thinking...I could grab the monitor next month and then pick up the machine in Sept.

which monitor would you go for out of the 20" ACD, the 2005FPW or the 2405FPW.
    See, I know nothing about monitors, but I was leaning towards the apple for form and beauty, but i'm thinking the Dell has more inputs, less price and works just the same.
    but then this HD thing has me confused, it's not something i've really looked into.

17. conditionals macrumors regular

The problem with the dell 2405FPW is that it, through either composite, s-video or component inputs, the gamecube and PS2 look like total crap. And there aren't VGA cables for those consoles to my knowledge.

Here's hoping the revolution will support VGA.

18. arcsbite thread starter Guest

by total crap, do you mean in comparison to..say...the 360?

I've been playing my GC & PS2 on a 14" portable TV via scart, so I hope it would be better than that.
    Plus, the console use, although important, would not be the main reason for the monitor (my PM would be, when it arrives), and i'm guessing i'd be using the 360 through it more often.

*sigh*
    being an iMac user, i've never had to think about buying a "good" monitor as all monitor's have just been 2nd monitors.
    the thought of spending almost the same ammount of cash on a monitor as it would cost to buy an iMac kinda kills me.

19. conditionals macrumors regular

I know, I had reservations initially about buying such an expensive monitor... but it's just amazing. Amazing. It looks so great.

As as for 'crap', I mean... really bad. For example, playing RE4 (GC) on the Dell... the image was small (took up about 1/3 the screen, since it's not true widescreen), jagged, blurry and washed out. 4:3 games work a bit better, but there is still a lot of bleeding, blurring, lines etc. Going from component Dell GC back to component tv GC was such a shock, made me appreciate the TV more.

Basically, if you want to use LCD, make sure you can get VGA.

20. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

21. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

thats dvi-d digital only a digital to analog converter would cost 300 bucks.