Gamecube Question!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kalinatek, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Kalinatek macrumors regular

hi everyone , my friend has a Gamecube and he was wondering if he could run old SNES or NES games on it ? is there a way to do that ??

thanks everyone

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

nope! this is where the Revolution comes in ;)

At a pinch you could get a GB Player for the Gamecube and play the more popular NES games in the GBA NES Classics catalogue. they're only about £9.99 for what I still consider the best games going :)

3. Kalinatek thread starter macrumors regular

thx! yeah i know the Revolution would do that , but do u know any additional info , like how much for each game ? free ?? and will all games be available?

also how much will the Revolution cost in the States or the UK when it comes out next year?

thanks!!

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

we dont know mate! my guess is they will be free. i mean seriously, you can't imagine Nintendo sticking in a credit-card details screen. and seeing Nintendo want to go for all ages that means folk without credit/debit cards.
    which is where the Stars system comes in. or some kind of free, but not *really* free system.

no idea about the launch either. its most definitely 2006.

it WILL launch less than $299, or if you're not American, cheaper than the Xbox 360. This was announced today I think. Which is sort of obvious. Nintendo systems have never launched more than £150 (at least not when I've bought systems on launch) so expect a realistically priced machine.

with that I'm going to try and find my Mario Bros 3 NES cart and see how far I get before I faint!

5. Viewtiful Rich macrumors regular

Viewtiful Rich

Nintendo has said that the games won't be free for the virtual console. I'm sure you'll be able to get some "free" with the purchase of something else, or by registering enough stuff, but I do think most the time we'll have to pay for them in some matter. Developers, especially Nintendo and Square Enix love making money off old code.

Using a credit card does seem very un-Nintendo like... so maybe they'll have some kind of retro card in stores that you can buy, and input that online (I don't know just throwing out an idea).

As far as the price goes, I'm thinking $150-200. In an IGN write-up, they were talking to developers that said a $99-150 dollar price tag wouldn't be unreasonable based on the specs.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Okay, here's what we know and what we don't.

1) We don't know the price.

2) We do know that every Nintendo first party game, that is every game created directly by Nintendo, will be on there. Super Smash Bros, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc will be there for sure. And they will try to get every third party game (like MegaMan X for example, made by Capcom) on there if the third parties agree to (why not? They're not making much money by sitting on the old games). So most third party and all first party games should be on there.

3) The Revolution will be the cheapest of the next gen systems. Nintendo's only statements are that it will be the lowest price, and that it will be under $300. According to IGN who cites insiders (not official) it will be $150. I'm skeptical about IGN's stuff, but it could be true.

4) Nintendo will give away a lot of games. For example, buy the new Zelda and get a free pass to download old Zelda games. Buy a new Mario game, and get a free pass to download old Mario games.

I'm sure you know, but I just want to remind people that those specs IGN is touting is not in any way official, and nobody (GameSpot or any of the supposed leak sites or anyone else) have corroborated or agreed with them. Take it as a rumor.

7. Kalinatek thread starter macrumors regular

sounds cool , and for a new console 200-250$ sounds good! i miss some old SNES games like mario world and mario kart so i think i ll wait for a few months till the revolution is out and get them. also i would like to play some gamecube games , so by then they will certainly be much cheaper than now.

:D

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just thinking... the Cube will be the first Nintendo console (non-handheld) to support backwards compatibility without any accessory. Look at the PS1 and PS2, they're still making PS1 games! It seemed to be with old Nintendo machines that as soon as the next console came out then its predecessor would become massively unsupported.

What I'm getting at is there will still be Cube games in development even when the Rev is out. I reckon at least. If new 3rd party games are still being developed then that would mean Nintendo would still be producing copies of Cube games. possibly? at least through websites. so yea you could buy a Rev and just use it as a Gamecube (for the games).
    if this makes any sense.

Hell I just wanna play Twilight Princess! I'd happily play nothing else in 2006.

9. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

I know the Nintendo 64 launched at £249 back in 1997, and IIRC the Gamecube was £199. I personally would guess that if it's going to be a $300 US launch price, we'll see £179-199 here once our lovely 17.5% VAT has been added.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Thats strange, I paid £129 for my cube on day #2. from WHSmiths at the Trafford Centre. £14.99 memory card. then got Rogue Leader from Costco for £24.99

11. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Sorry, my mistake on the Cube (I was living abroad at the time…) but the N64 figure is correct.

12. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Yes, you can run your old NES and SNES games (and N64 games), but GC modchips are crap and copies of PSO are hard to find, and expensive when you do find them (I use PSO)

13. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

The cube launched at £129.99 in the UK and probably $199 in the USA, as for the Revolution i think we can expect identical prices if not a touch cheaper,

Shadow

14. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I believe the Revolution will launch at $249.99 with some special promotions........so many downloadable NES/SNES games with purchase (to get people hooked). Within a year it will drop to $199.99 and to $149.99 within 2 years. Just a guess though.

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's possible (all we know for sure is that it will be less than $300).

However, something to note. The GameCube launched at $200. With Nintendo's new strategy, trying to sell a system to a wider audience and reach even non-gamers, it's unlikely Nintendo would sell the Revolution for more than the GameCube sold for.

It's still very possible you're right and it could be $250 though.

And you're right about the promotions- they already said they'll be doing that with games (buy a new Mario game and get a pass for old mario games).