Gamepad Rumblepad 2 (Logitech)

Discussion in 'Games' started by MacNL04, Jun 23, 2005.

1. MacNL04 macrumors newbie

MacNL04

Hello everybody !

I'd like to know if anyone has been able to use this gamepad to play at DOOM3 ? And/or the SIMS 2 ??

I can't find a way to assign different functions to the buttons and analogue sticks.... :confused:

And I'm not sure that the little software http://www.carvware.com/gamepadcompanion.html can be of any use... :(

Any experience with all this ?

Thanks for helping... :)

2. Church macrumors regular

Church

It's been my experience that logitech gaming devices don't work on macs, unless there are built-in drivers for the gaming device in the game. A good example is battlefield 1942, which rocks and puts my logitech extreme 3d pro joystick to good use. I have also tried usb overdrive as an alternative, but that was laggy, and if that program, gamepad companion, is the same type of thing, you won't be happy with it. As a side note, I looked on the support page for gamepad companion and it didn't say anything about the gamepad you mentioned being known to work with the app.

3. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

OS X doesn't work like that. The drivers are built into the OS, so if Logitech devices work on OS X (which they do!), then every game that uses HID support will work fine. Certainly my Logitech Rumblepad 2 works fine with every game that has HID support, which is not a huge number (and frankly, most of them, like Doom3, don't need it because it's way better with mouse+keyboard anyway. ;) ).

Well, why don't you download it and find out? Just to be clear, Doom3 doesn't use HID support, so no gamepads at all will work directly, nothing to do with Logitech. But Game Pad Companion and USB Overdrive do let gamepads mimic mouse/keyboard actions, so one or the other might do what you want.

--Eric

4. Church macrumors regular

Church

I know the drivers are built into the os, but as far as I can tell, the drivers only help recognize the device, you can't configure it. So when you want to use it, it doesn't work, thus what I said. If I'm wrong, please let me know where I can configure the buttons in the os without downloading some laggy stupid program. Thanks.

5. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

You said "Logitech gaming devices don't work on Macs," which is wrong. You can't configure the buttons in the OS with *any* gaming device, Logitech or otherwise. If a game supports button configuring, it will work with any device the OS supports, which includes Logitech. Don't want the original poster to think he made a bum purchase, ya know.

--Eric

6. Church macrumors regular

Church

If you can't use it with your game, it is a bum purchase. Most games do not support gamepads, and Logitech does include a driver cd with all of it's gaming products that allows you to set up the buttons. Too bad it is not mac compatible. MacNL04, I would strongly suggest looking into the game and ask if it has gamepad support before you bought the gamepad. And as a courtesy, I will go ahead and try gamepad companion for you on my bum purchase, I mean... gamepad.

7. Church macrumors regular

Church

Ok, I just tried gamepad companion, and although it is easy to setup, it is still laggy and can not provide the functionality of drivers built into a game or using the keyboard and mouse. So, I still believe if you are not able to fully utilize your game with it, it is still a bum purchase.

8. MacNL04 thread starter macrumors newbie

MacNL04

Hi Church,

Gamepad companion seems indeed not to be ideal...Nevertheless, I'll give a try to USB overdrive in order to make this gamepad easy to use...

And honestly I don't regret my purchase because it's a "quality product" :).

On top of this, it's most of the time impossible to get answers to questions like : "what can work with this game?" "is this gamepad/joystick compatible with it ?"
    Then it's the start of a vicious circle : "Ask the publisher of the game" "Ask the editor of the accessories", back and forth...

It's quite a paradox, but we, mac users, cannot have the same standards for the games than for the rest of our hardware/software... :(

9. MacNL04 thread starter macrumors newbie

MacNL04

Hi Eric5h5,

Thank you for your detailed answers :).

Thanks for the precisions.

Yes, I'll try USB overdrive...Because I only want to mimic the mouse and the keyboard for the Sims...:p

I fully agree... :D But I'm a bit afraid to play it on my powerbook 17'' and to kill the keyboard... :rolleyes: :eek:

So, I'll give it a try with USB overdrive. ;)