Gamepads?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Draft, Aug 4, 2002.

1. macrumors 6502

I'm wondering what gamepads everyone uses?? Also, do you like your gamepad?

I personally use a Macally iShock II. It's not very good though. The button set-up is about as good as it gets. The problem is with the size. It's huge!

Draft

2. macrumors 65816

Shrek

Well, when it all comes down to it: To handle a Monster Mac you need Monster Hands!

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

:D

3. macrumors 6502

Re: Gamepads?

Isn't it the same size as the PS1/2 controller?

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Gamepads?

No. It has the same button lay-out, but the controller body is 1.5 to 2 times bigger. It's really bulky.

Draft

5. macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Re: Gamepads?

Oh...When I saw it in the store (from a distance) it looked exactly the same...I was thinking of getting one for a little while...

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

7. macrumors 65816

Shrek

I do, but unfortunately it's PC only. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET A MAC!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

What kind of a gamepad is it? Do you like it? If it's USB, then it'll work on a Mac.

Draft

9. macrumors 65816

Shrek

It's the Logitech Wingman Rumblepad. On Logitech's website it says it's for the PC only. :( Look here at the second item in the list; some others say 'Mac' and this one doesn't. :(

10. macrumors 6502

There's an app for OSX that will let you use it on a mac.......ahhhhh...nooooo, I can't remember what it's called :eek:! If I remember I'll tell you.

11. thread starter macrumors 6502

It's called Gamepad Companion. Any USB gamepad will work in OS X with this utility. The rumble probably won't work though.

Draft

12. macrumors 6502

Yes thank you that's it! My brain feels much better now.:p

13. macrumors 65816

Shrek

Stupid rumble! :p

14. Moderator emeritus

I've got a Gravis Gamepad Pro. You can generally get this for between $15 and $25, depending on sales and markdowns. Since most of the games which use the game pad aren't Mac OS X compatible, I don't know whether it works in Mac OS X.

It works acceptably well in Mac OS 9.x as long as the program understands InputSprocket and is approximately the same size as the PlayStation controller with the same layout.

I believe that USB Overdrive is another shareware program that will allow you to use a variety of joysticks and gamepads and mice (mousies?) on Mac OS X.

15. TEG
    macrumors 604

TEG

I use a Gravis Exterminator Digital

My mom bought it for me for my PC, it came with a USB Adapter and Was Mac compatible, so When I bought My PBG4 It came with me.

Why Doesn't Apple have built in support for joysticks/gamepads like os9?

TEG

16. thread starter macrumors 6502

They're working on it. Hopefully in Jaguar they'll have it. Hopefully.

Draft

17. macrumors 65816

Shrek

That's exactly what I'm waiting on before I get my first Macintosh: Jaguar, but also the G5 (hopefully). And not to forget, money--lots of money. ;)

18. macrumors regular

dualstrike

SideWinder Dual Strike

even i dont like Microsoft, i bought this GamePad 2 years ago and its the greatest gamepad for FPS (due to the articulated part u can direct your gun with one side of the gamepad while u run using the other side, its tricky to learn, but when u do no one can stop u) i think the design rocks , and even the box said that it doesnt work on a mac i plugged in my first TiBook with os9 and it worked perfectly in Unreal and Quake, and now Gamepad companion is close to give me full support for gaming in OSX ( gamepad still lack some hatswitch support)

heres a view of the gamepad ( so bad M$ doesnt produce it anymore):rolleyes:

Attached Files:

19. macrumors newbie

Logitech Wingman Precision

Hi,
    Thanks for the info on GamePad Companion!
    just got my newly aquired Logictech WingMan Precision 6 button gamepad going with it, all seems to be working fine under OSX Panther :)

Thanks again
    [​IMG]

20. macrumors member

gamepad

When i went looking for a gamepad i was not impressed at the quality of most pc (as in personal computer) gamepads. They either looked cheezy felt cheezy or were just bad knockoffs of console gamepads.

After looking around for a day in town with no luck. I thought why can't i use my PS2 controler with my iBook?

A quick search on the web and i found a PS/PS2 to USB adapter for about $18(us) including shipping to New Zealand.

Now i have my white iBook with a white PS2 controler. rumble and everything works, for me the PS2 controler is the ulimate game controler how else could you play Tony Hawk 4 on a iBook, keyboard? that would be fun:rolleyes:

if you don't have this yet you should get it for configuring your gamepad/joystick assigning keys that sort of thing for OS X

Gamepad companion:
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/drivers/gamepadcompanion.html

this isn't a plug but here is the web site if anyone is interested:

usb adapters:
    http://www.lik-sang.com/list.php?category=55&

anyways hope that can help

d-fi

21. macrumors 68040

jxyama

Re: gamepad

i'm sort of of the same opinion. i just got a logitech dual action game pad and have been ok with it. (but i've read a lot of reviews on amazon complaining about the quick failure of the left analog stick... so i will probably return it.)

i'm strongly considering purchasing this usb adapter since i already have many PS2/PS1 controllers - it will let me play two players on various emulators on my PB... but i have one question. does the gamepad companion/usb adapter correctly let you use analog stick?

i like PS2/1 directional buttons but analog would certainly be nice...

22. macrumors 68020

Thanks for reviving the old thread. I just ordered the Lik-Sang adapter -- since my stepson has a PS2, I'll be able to use his controllers!

23. macrumors 68040

jxyama

let me know if the analog controls work well with it or not... i'll probably order anyway, but it would be nice to get a first hand feedback...

24. macrumors 68040

jxyama

25. macrumors 68020

Just got my lik-sang smart joy today! Installing as we speak! Thanks for the great info, gang!

(later) Works fine on the PC; ... Game Pad Companion is a little difficult to set up, there being no standard game controller interface in Mac OS X (why not?), but works fine once configured. This is great! Now my stepson will wonder where his good controller is :)