Discussion in 'Games' started by link92, Sep 10, 2004.

1. link92 macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2004
    Does Halo support them? Specifically the Logitech Wingman RumblePad gamepad...
  2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Not natively. It doesn't support any game/joy sticks natively because it doesn't support USB HID for joysticks/gamepads.
  3. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    No I tried. But give it a try with the keyboard. You might like it. I love the keyboard for video games. But if you really want to use a gamepad look out for a Halo patch. It might add gamepad support.
  4. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana
    It's like this:

First-Person Shooters don't play well with gamepads. It's possible, but you don't have the freedom of movement and accuracy with a gamepad that you do with a keyboard and mouse combo.

Now, there are exceptions. Goldeneye, for example. But this was made specifically for the N64, and designed around the controller.

Now if you were asking for a good gamepad to play THPS with...I'd reccomend that.
  5. imac_japan macrumors member

Jan 21, 2004
    Hello, ummmmm have you played Halo on the x-box (where - it was first released, it was designed to be played with a gamepad) ?? its much better to play with a gamepad. What about the thousands of first-person shooters that you can get for the PS/2, x-box etc etc etc.

Im wondering if anyone here (in macrumors) has even played a console game before - gamepads/joysticks/controllers are sooooo much better to play with.

Now having Mac Halo without the option of playing with a gamepad is just plain stupid
  6. fertilepress@tm macrumors newbie

Sep 13, 2004
    I agree. I first played Halo on an XBox and can't imagine playing on a Mac or any other computer. It is just so much better with a much easier.
  7. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    It depends what system you are playing on. I mcuh rather use the keyboard then a gamepad if I was using my computer. But if i was playing my Gamecube I'd like the controller. But overal I think the keyboard is better.
  8. wide macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004
    I hate FPS on consoles. I was good at Golden Eye, and I am decent at the GTA series, but games like Medal of Honor: Rising Sun and Halo for the XBOX are much harder and not as fun for me. I like being up close to the screen and having the precision of an optical mouse with a sensitivity I can choose and alter durning gameplay (yes, I know that it's possible to alter the xbox's joystick sensitivity, but it doesn't have the same effect as a mouse). Interestingly, I am quite good at PC games involving mice, such as Halo for the computer and the entire Medal of Honor series.
  9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    I'm split on the issue. I would say that the keyboard and mouse are ultimately more customizable and better for the more extreme gamer, but the gamepad is more ergonomic and comfortable for most; also, the keyboard/mouse combo can have a steeper learning curve for some games with lots of controls mapped to seperate keys (although no gamer worth his salt would have a problem there).

I've played Halo both ways and enjoyed it - although I'm terribly partial to Sony's controller over M$'s and have yet to find another that works as good.
  10. fertilepress@tm macrumors newbie

Sep 13, 2004
    How did you play Halo on a Mac with a gamepad? I thought they weren't supported?
  11. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    He said he playED it. Note ED. Problay meaning he has just played to on a Pc or has a PC also.
  12. ifjake macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    yeah there are plus sides to both. i like with the mouse you can whip yourself around and still be accurate. game pad joysticks allow you to be accurate, but you can only turn so fast. but with the gamepad you don't have to be constantly picking up your mouse to get it back to the center of the pad. and i feel like the gamepad itself is more ergonomically better for you [as lord blackadder has mentioned]. trigger buttons like the left and right triggers of the xbox controller and their predacessor the Z of the N64 are so cool in first person shooters. it just feels like a gun. the playstation ones are more awkward i think. but it just adds to the immersion. so cool. man i gotta go play halo.
  13. Boondoggle macrumors newbie

Oct 3, 2004
    I can't seem to get the xbox controller to work in Panther... the driver won't install. Anyone else have this problem?