gameplay and graphics

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ja Di ksw, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

There has been a lot of talk about gameplay and graphics on these boards, and I think it's missing the point entirely. It's all about immersion, and all three consoles are trying to do it.

No one in there right mind would make a console and hope that it succeeds because of graphics. Sony and Microsoft realize that the games have to be fun for people to buy them.

What it comes down to is, how do you get the player "into" the game? Sony and Microsoft are working to immerse the player in the game by making the game itself seem more realistic (better graphics and AI) while Nintendo is working to immerse the player by making the game controls seem more realistic (swinging the remote like a sword or turning it like a steering wheel).

NO ONE, let me repeat that, NO ONE is saying that they do not care about "gameplay" or how fun their system is. All three companies are trying to make their consoles have fun games, so people will buy them. They just have different strategies on how to make them fun.

Which way is better? That's right, 99% of you guessed it, it depends on what the person playing it likes. Do they feel more immersed by (more) realistic looking games, or do they feel more immersed by how they interact with the game? Is it going to be the same way each time? You guessed it again, sometimes a Wii game is going to be fun, sometimes an XBox 360 or PS3 game is going to be fun. IT WILL DEPEND ON THE GAME.

So please, please, please, stop with the talk about gameplay compared to graphics. It's immersion and, more importantly, fun. Which will vary from game to game.

Oh, and while I'm on a rant, please stop with "M$" and internet lingo such as "suxxor." It makes searching the forum for topics very difficult, and the only thing that people get out of others using "1337" is makes the "1337" writer look uneducated.

Thank you.

2. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

isn't immersion included as part of the gameplay experience

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

4. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Please do. I love reading your posts! :D

5. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Partly, yes. With all three companies going for immersion (in different ways), it is just a stronger case for all three companies going for gameplay, not one going for gameplay and the other two going for graphics.

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

lol I do hope are you being sarcastic. I don't think I have ever seriously put anything close to ZOMG before.. I dont get the whole 'suxxor' fanboi talk.

7. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

j00 h4v n0 l33txx0rz l13k z0mgwtfpwnz0rd!

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

lol dude I spat my coke all over my keyboard when i read that :p

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The idea is to sniff it. No wonder you spat it out!

10. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

lucky this time i wasn't drinking anything :D

no man the new fad is to like totally ya know, like... drink it man...mix it with like...kool-aid man...yeaahhh.... [insert fried smiley picture]

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Sadly... I c4|\| r34d 7h47 f1u3|\|71y.