Gamer builds 'auto-play machine'

Discussion in 'Games' started by BoyBach, Feb 26, 2007.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2006
    - BBC

Whatever next? Paying somebody else to gain your achievements for you?

2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2006
    USA, KS
    Maybe developers should just make more useful achievements.

I mean really, some people miss the point of these, they should be evidence and proof that you did some cool and/or challenging things... not that you were tortured.

Geometry Wars is one of the few games that I think actually has really notable acheivements, as well as Burnout: Revenge.
  3. darkwing macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    Solenoids? Pft. He should have written a controller simulator and plugged it into USB!
  4. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2006
    Fenton, MO

Yes, it's a pitiful state of affairs when people are so frickin' lazy and so vain with their Gamerscore when they'll actually pay someone to earn their achievements. The words "get a life" come to mind with these folks IMO. :rolleyes:
  5. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Gamer builds 'auto-play machine'

Proof that some things go too far and become an obsession! :eek: :rolleyes:
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Does anyone remember the game Rygar on NES? There was some sort of thing in that game also that was so absurd that it basically was most prudent to tape the d-pad and buttons down on the controller or something like that...
  7. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Actually I'd say it was more of an obsession if he just played the game for 40 hours. He was actually thinking about the game, not just dumbly logging hours.
  8. Agilus macrumors regular

May 19, 2005
    Reminds me of the time a friend and I set up an oscillating fan to hit a button every 30 seconds so our characters in Tales of Symphonia could fight battles all night in the Abyss and accumulate stat-increasing herbs. You could set all the characters to be computer controlled, but you needed to hit a button to get out of combat, and since most combats took less than 10 seconds, a 30-second interval worked great.

We wanted to see how far we could max the characters' stats, and build up the demonic weapons to boot. By morning, a single hit from Lloyd's sword was doing over 2500 damage (if I remember right). Good times.... :)
  9. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

Jan 16, 2007
    Wasn't X-Bot the name of a Ctrl-Alt-Delete character?
  10. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

Nov 17, 2003
    Daytona Beach

This happens every day in the MMO world. I found this guys efthical concerns amusing simply because their are companies who make millions of dollars selling MMO items accounts and gold. Is it right? No, but it happens.
  11. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Aug 15, 2006
    The Rainbow Nation RSA
    Seen this before... But who plays perfect dark anyways. I hate that game so much!

Thats a ripoff! So do they hae pro gamers palying on your acc for points? or is it just that they give you points out of thinn air?
  12. Antares macrumors 68000

Well, it seems like this guy (and people paying for leveling services) have a life. That's why he did (and they do) something like this. Someone who needs to "get a life" would be the one spending the extra 40hrs actually playing this game just to get those 60 points.

Heh. I did something similar, back when, on the SNES. In Contra III, there's a point (right after you scale a building) where you can stop and shoot while enemies keep dropping in at the same exact spot. You get an extra life after a certain number of points. I put a rubberband around the controller, waited a few hours...and boom. I had enough lives to actually beat the game. Ah the memories.
  13. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2006
    Fenton, MO
    There's more to life than gaining +10 pts on your gamerscore. "Get a life" is aimed at anyone who thinks otherwise, whether you play 40 hours to get those +10 points or you pay someone else to get those +10 points.

Besides that, what (outrageous) game only gives you +10 points for 40 hours of gameplay? Some games are harsh with achievements, but I've never seen one like that.

Gamerscores (and moreso "achievements") are a great idea but I think some people are taking them too far if they think having a higher gamerscore than anyone else proves anything, because it doesn't. It just proves that you play more games than I do.
  14. sb58 macrumors 6502a

May 14, 2006
    it's a smart idea, although i don't know how much i approve. Sure getting those gamerscore points isn't a huge deal, but it almost seems like he cheated to get them.