Gamers Are Better At Multitasking

Discussion in 'Games' started by greatdevourer, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    I'm terrible at multitasking somethings :D
    At night after I've got off the phone to my girlfriend, I simultaneously turn off the fan (which involves rummaging my hand alongside my desk to find the remote) and turn on the mobile phone bar by dialling in a code. its no easy task! I've been doing this every night for a year and a half now and it does not get any easier!

now thought multitasking I can do. ooh! I can play WarioWare AND still stay in conversation! surely that deserves some credit ;)
  2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Im very good at it. i do serveral things at always involves my mac.

3. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    Is that conversation with the significant other, though. Because I have learned that they can detect the extra 500 milliseconds that it takes for you to respond to them; especially while playing games. ;)
  4. haiggy macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2003
    Ontario, Canada

Soooo true. Couldn't agree more :D
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    I guess this info should really help the people out in their McJobs.

A gamer should be better able to focus on taking a customer order, get yelled at by their manager, wait for the next pot of coffee, and count down the minutes until the end of their shift -- all at the same time -- compared to those multitasking hampered non-gamers.
  6. Ultimate-Omen macrumors member

Sep 5, 2005
    San Jose, California
    I'm multitasking right now...check it out:
    Playing world of warcraft (im on auto run, still some thought involved)
    Talking to boss on cell phone
    typing this
    throwing peeks at the tv

ironic cause this to me is easy, but focusing on one subject at a time gives me a headache...go figure.
  7. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    I used to multitask all the time when I played WoW...I'd regularily be trolling the web and talking on AIM, or napping, while doing MC. :D
  8. ghostee macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2004
    Villa Park, IL
    That, in addition to the sounds of monsters roaring, spells getting cast, and me cursing at the warrior for not seeing the mobs beating on my priest, often tip off my girl that I'm multitasking her with World of Warcraft. She plays too though, so she doesn't really mind.

I actually find it kinda hard to hold a decent conversation while playing an involved game.
  9. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Jan 31, 2005
    If by multitasking we mean simultaneously leveling up your world warcraft ultra enchanted +50 attack points Revlon nails equipped elf, chatting with bots on aim, and looking online for the next upgrade for your petite shuttle case with blue light up LEDs, then we have an entire bastion of 15 year olds who can multitask with ease. :D
  10. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    I also read somewhere that games help people to overcome some of their fears and when games are used properly help the kids acquire better reflexes.
  11. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    They did some tests with pensioners and found that those who played video games (chess/solitare - not GTA!) had imporved memory recognition and suffered less from memory loss compared to those who didn't keep their brain working.

Suppose it makes sense.
  12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

Yeah, I did something very similar in a psychology course at uni and came up with similar results but we used other students rather than the elderly. Yeah, we were too impatient...
  13. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    do you always hide a message in white in your posts?

Same thing happens with your signature!

Anyway, it is comonly verified that videogames have also positive effects on people/
  14. greatdevourer thread starter macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Also, playing certain games makes you calmer and more alert to changes in the environment
  15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

Well, there was a time when I'd hide things in purple, but it was less effective. :(

Can't think why...
  16. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    well, I can! ;)