Gamers - I got my 15" Retina $2799 - Have questions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maven1975, Jun 12, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

Aug 24, 2008

I want to put a word of advice out there for those struggling to get a R-MBP.

I was able to get mine today because I left a request with the business team member at my local Apple store. These team members can snag them as they come in before the get into normal stock flow.

Thing is beautiful!

I am so pleased that they removed the MacBook Pro logo off the front bezel. I was able to run Modern Combat Domination for 30 minutes, and while is got to normal temps of my 2011, the fan was really silent. Also, I did not feel as though the display made the game look like garbage.

My biggest gripe right now is that Apple has not uploaded the Bootcamp drivers yet. I am waiting with baited breath so I can really test this thing out. (BF3, MW3, SFxT, SFIV AE, Diablo, SC, Alan Wake....

Let me know if you have any questions before then and/or would like me to test something out.

I just wish they would have shaved an inch off the footprint. Scaling works flawlessly.

Its worth the scratch.
  2. macrumors 68030

May 13, 2010
    Some users are complaining about how laggy this thing is...

Are they bsing or is it laggy?
  3. macrumors 6502

Dec 13, 2008
    how hot does it get? whats the idle temp and what is game temp?
  4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 24, 2008
    I can see what they are referring to. Safari scrolling is not buttery smooth at the moment. (I am downloading the updates from Apple now 1.5GB!)

Although, this is normal for revision one hardware. I suspect its throttling trying to conserve as much energy as possible. I have not tried the program/app that forces dedicated only. Im betting that would eliminate it all together. 100% positive Apple will address it.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Apr 1, 2011
    Please post some pictures, hell, even a video if you have time :)
  6. macrumors member

Sep 24, 2011
    I want to know how Wndows 7 copes with the display. I will be loading on Battlefront 3 the moment I get my computer. Tell us how it runs with settings of 1440x900 and medium to high detail.
  7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 24, 2008
    I will do a youtube video tonight. :p
  8. macrumors regular

May 17, 2009
    Can you try installing Windows onto it? Perhaps Windows 8 would include nearly all of the drivers that Apple supplies via Boot Camp.
  9. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 24, 2008
    Im going to try 8 on it before the video.

Man, leave me no surprises. :)
  10. macrumors 65816

May 20, 2011
    You don't nee extra software if you want discrete enabled all the time. Go to system prefs> energy saver> and disable automatic graphics switching. That should force the NVIDA card to run at all times.
  11. macrumors 6502

Nov 8, 2007
    What framerates are you getting for some of your games, running them in both the 2880x1800 and 1440x900 settings? (And mention if you're on ultra settings, etc)
  12. macrumors 6502

Aug 11, 2010
    Really interested in diablo 3 OS X performance at 1440x900, what settings/fps are possible, and how it looks pixel doubled.

Also curious about fan noise when gaming compared to old models (jets taking off).

13. macrumors member

Aug 31, 2011
    I just ordered the base line so in performance the only difference is a minor .3ghz. Are you running on 8gb as well? Do you think the minor processor clock will make a noticeable difference?
  14. macrumors 601

Oct 24, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    May I ask, what type of retina wallpapers are included? Thanks.
  15. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 24, 2008
    Same as stock

8GB and I doubt it.
  16. macrumors 601

Oct 24, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    gr8 thx
  17. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 24, 2008
    Fan noise is pretty impressive from what I have been able to test so far. Even that simple game MCD, the noise was 100%+ less

I will be stretching its wings later this evening for a true comparison.
  18. macrumors 6502

Dec 12, 2007
    As far as gaming, I too am curious how well Diablo 3 runs on it? Only game I play on my Mac. Can everything be maxed out and still be playable?
  19. macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2011
    I have just 1 question. How does it feel to spend 3 grand on a laptop only to get a laptop with a midrange graphics card that won't even play games at native resolution very well? Especially if your just going to throw bootcamp on it to play games.

You know for $1200 you could have gotten yourself a much better gaming laptop like the g75vw.

Proceed with the downvotes
  20. macrumors member

Aug 31, 2011
    You mentioned you'd upload some videos on YouTube. Care to tell us your channel name :D ?
  21. macrumors 601

Oct 24, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Don't mind if I do.

Thanks op for sticking around and answering questions even though it seems we're this thread is now under a bridge....
  22. macrumors 68000

Jul 13, 2007

one of the primary reasons i am upgrading from my air is the fan noise, other than that my air is a great system.
  23. macrumors regular

Jul 14, 2010
    any temps you can post? playing a game like d3 or watching a longer flash video? handbrake?
  24. macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2008
    Great news re fans. A comparison video or something would be fantastic, though :)

What are the fan speeds (in RPM) while gaming? Do the fans run more slowly, or just much quieter?

Do you think the computer is hitting the limits of its power adapter like the old model? Because the old ones could be subjected to both throttling due to being to hot, and throttling due to wanting more power than the adapter can provide. Unless you have a watt-meter or something that may be hard to measure though.
  25. macrumors 68020

May 1, 2009
    How hot is the enclosure during normal usage, not during intense games? Does the casing remain cool on your lap? My old 2007 MBP gets very hot which is fine under load, but for normal tasks it is annoying.