Gamers input for English Paper

Discussion in 'Community' started by TDM21, Dec 3, 2004.

1. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Hey everybody. From the title, you can tell I need a little input. I have to write an English Paper that is due next week. The professor set the subject to language and I chose to write on gamers choice of their screen names for online games. The games can be anything from Quake III to World of Warcraft. So if everybody could be nice enough, I would like to ask a few questions to everyone.

What is/are your game name(s) when you play multiplayer games?

Why did you choose that/those name(s)?

What is the best online name you have ever seen? Why?

What is the worst online name you have ever seen? Why?

I really appreciate your answers.
    (note: I have to have this paper done by next Friday)

2. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Are you asking what we name our video game characters?

Or are you asking someone who has developed a game and why they named it so & so?

I think you will get much more of a respone if your asking the earlier question. ;)

3. TDM21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TDM21

What I was trying to ask is when you play a multiplayer game, what screen name do you use and why.

I'm sorry about the confusion. I will update the original post.

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Mechcozmo

First screen name- Cozmo_2
    on the game MechWarrior 3

Mech for MechWarrior
    Cozmo for Cozmo_2

Perfect sense! And nobody has it so I don't need any numbers at the end of my name...

America's Army, StarCraft, and HalfLife (plus subsets of it-- DoD, CS, etc) are the ones that I use that screenname, I don't really play anything else. But if I do, rest assured, it would be Mechcozmo.

Look at my AIM screen name... :)

Answers to 1,2, and 3 are above. Nothing better than seeing "[name] was shot by Mechcozmo" or the like. A sense of pride, if you will.

Worst names:
    Anything that looks like they pounded on the keyboard. (ekjni8oqndxxed!!! comes to mind...)
    Anything "haxor"-ish. Just stupid in the first place. While I don't mind calling other people 'n00bs' when I see something that it takes more than 1 second to understand... ditch it.
    Anything with more than 1 clan name in the front. I belong to an America's Army clan, but I've seen people that have names that go on and on...

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I have usually just been 7on, which is how my name looks when I sign it. However, I've been Jackalship recently. Taken from the lame-ass Neverwinter Nights character I created Jakob Schiff but coolerized.

see above

I can't remember any off the top of my head

People named "a vehicle" or New001 in Halo. Because it's so dumb.

6. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

1. Jalexster
    2. Jack Alexander, and I dont know where I got ster from
    3. I really can't answer this
    4. Cheezy *****

7. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

New001 is the default name for a profile in Halo. They must of created a profile, and forgot to change the name.

8. brap macrumors 68000

brap, stanley pain.
    I'm a big Skinny Puppy/Download fan.
    In UT I rather like seeing 'Jesus sucked [name]'s rocket', and such - but I forget the other names I particularly liked. Sorry... slapstick value, largely, makes me chuckle.
    Members of, like, 6 different clans with stupid-ass names like "[TW]/ao%$/Sgt KiLLeR(c0rps)". Especially with StIcKy CaPs and 1337-N4m3s who regularly shout "pWn3d!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Actually, I just hit why I haven't played online for months now... online gamers are, on the whole, f**king annoying.

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

1. I always play as "BirdyTheTurtle"
    2. I think it's a pimp name. Being killed by a guy named BirdyTheTurtle is embarrassing.
    3. BirdyTheTurtle, of course. See #2
    4. Anything with 1337, haxor, or blood sucks. They're everywhere, and horribly annoying.

I play Counter-Strike.

10. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

1. When I play almost anything, my name is just JTgotsJets, JayTee, or antipenguin (rarely now). In online RPGs (Diablo, WoW), I usually name my character something along the lines of PrinceCorwin, CorwintheGreat, OberontheGreat, BleystheGreat, etc. In Half-Life, I am Boba Fett.

2. Antipenguin was an aol screen name I had way back when. I used it for everything. JTgotsJets is the sn I use for just about anything anymore (it originally came from the MC Chris song "Fett's Vette," where Boba Fett tells us that his backpack's got jets), and JayTee is what I've been using more recently for stuff.
    RPGs, the names are all from my favorite fantasy novels, The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. I highly reccomend them if you haven't read them. Corwin is the main character, Oberon is his father, Bleys is Corwin's brother.
    Boba Fett comes from a) me liking Boba Fett and b) me thinking that the "Helmet" char model on Half-Life looks similar to Boba Fett.

3. My favorite was actually one I used on StarCraft for a long time (and still do sometimes): SporkBot
    So anyway, I decided to make a "joke" clan on Starcraft called the Spork Mafia (long story where that came from). Of course, all good clans have chatbots, so I made one, and created an account for it, named SporkBot (my "in use" name at the time was some nonsense with "[SM]" on either side of it). After awhile, I decided that I much preferred SporkBot to my normal name and used the account for actual gameplay.

4. Just about anything with alternating caps, lots of x's, etc.

11. atif.muhammad macrumors member

cheesyboy
    moham
    bl00dy punk

cheesyboy: i like cheese and it was an original name
    moham: my name in short muhammad --> moham
    bl00dy punk: hacker name

hm...it'll have to be DevilX. I like the way the person matches the Devil along with the X which symbolizes the devil so you get a double-devil effect. you think the person is gd at the game

boundz(grim)
    What the hell does this name mean?
    boundz? what does it mean? bouncy...bouncy...bouncy....
    grim? grimreaper? ooooo....so scary........
    this guy was a freak.

12. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I think he wants names, and you gave him games. Good try, though ;)

13. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

:eek: That game so so old, ha! It can run on a 256KB video card. It was designed for the first PowerPC processors. Hard to get better graphics when you look at the minimum system requirements. A 2x CD-ROM drive. Classic!

14. samonsuke macrumors newbie

samonsuke

Just because i got in that clan and u didn't doesn't mean u have to make fun of my name. I mean whats wrong with Boundz(grim), Boundz=name of clan i am in and (grim)=part of my original name

15. atif.muhammad macrumors member

why are you answering nearly every thread in which i've posted something?
    are you obsessed with me or what?
    loser....................

16. brap macrumors 68000

Take it outside, children.

17. samonsuke macrumors newbie

samonsuke

what? i've only posted in two of the threads that you have, i wouldn't have done so in this one either if u hadn't insulted my starcraft name

18. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

To be honest that is a pretty lame name, but please keep this childish stuff to yourselves :p.

19. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    hey hey guys lets keep it civil

sure we all got sn, maybe some of them are stupid maybe some are cool, lets just help this guy out with his survey

virividox, sunstyle, flabiusmaximus, bukolicious, [BoB]Apolinario Mabini
    play warcraft, myth i and ii, diablo, counterstrike, UT, HL

i just picked these names cuz they sounded fun

i use them from time to time for emails and stuff; but i dont game too much anymore

best name Tiny Torvald, just made me crack up

worst name
    someething really try hard like Ghost Killah, or anything with more than 1 clan and losts of weird characters!!!

20. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

1. Montgomery Burns - I like the old fart in The Simpsons. I'll occasionally blurt out something he would say on the show when I score a kill: "Eeeeeexcellent!" :)
    2. Mr. Happy - I like Robin Williams.
    3. I.P.Freely - Almost forgot I use this one too. Another "Simpsons" reference.

See above.

"your mother" - It looks funny to see "[player_name] was blown away by your mother."

I'm with Mechozmo on this one. I hate the names that are complete gibberish. Can't actually remember any of them because I tend to ignore them during game play.

I guess when you come down to it, all my reasons for liking a screen name come down to humor. On-line game play is a chance for a fun time to me, and humor enhances the experience.

[size=-2]Edit: Added third name[/size]

21. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

The name I generally use right now is "rancidbuddha", which I just got from a random name generator, and liked. However, I used to use "anubis", because of a set of books I read a while ago (the "Otherworld" series, by Tad Williams) where one of the main characters was really evil, but kind of cool, and took the form of Anubis (the Egyptian god) when in the "online world".

As for the best screen name I've ever seen, I really liked the set of screen names that a clan I saw once had. They all started with [Inf]. So it was like [Inf]inity, [Inf]idel, [Inf]amous. I liked them because they were kind of creative, and all the names worked together.

The worst name... I don't know. I hate it when I see people called things like dota_god (dota's a Warcraft III scenario I play a lot). It's just kind of annoying how these people make a screen name primarily to show just how pompous they are.