Gamers - what kind of speed are we talking?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ontheuptick, Jan 30, 2006.

1. ontheuptick macrumors member

Gamers: What kind of internet speed is necessary to play mac games online? I am a new mac owner, and changing internet services.. A local high-speed wireless company says you will get speeds "up to" 512 kps. Would I be alright, or am I going to lag?

Thanks

2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

256-512 is fine. . . you only lag if you are downloading at the same time . .and how many lowspeed users are on a server. . . but with 256-512 you should be peachy.

3. ontheuptick thread starter macrumors member

4. benpatient macrumors 68000

little more complicated than that, unfortunately.

Generally speaking, any "modern" broadband will work. there's no real difference between what you need for a PC, a Mac, or a console. There are exceptions to that, but most well-coded games these days will run on most broadband connections, as long as the connection isn't on the fritz.

However, if you have, for unavoidable reasons, satellite internet (my parents live in the middle-of-nowhere Texas and can't get DSL or cable, so they have DirectWay or something like that) then good luck, because the packet sizes that are being sent back and forth are too slow and too big for most games. Bad, bad pings. And usually an abysmal upload speed, which in most cases is much more important than the download speed. Almost no broadband connection will be choking on download speed, but the upload caps they put on us are often pretty sharp. Some DSL "lite" stuff is actually capped at 64 or ever 32k uplink. Even if it's 256 or 512 down, a 32kb/s upload cap will render most FPS or RTS style games worthless.

But generally, with cable or DSL (as long as the uplink is 128k or more) you will be just fine.

5. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Entirely depends upon which game you are playing.

For example, I play World of Warcraft on 56k (24.4 actually), and it runs surprisingly well. Very well.

There is not one bit of noticable lag. The only time you'd know I was playing on 56k is really busy times in Iron Forge (huge city with hundreds of players all in one place - generally laggy for everyone).

Since I rarely, rarely, need to go to Iron Forge, I have near-perfect gameplay 99.9% of the time.

Even raids with 20+ people runs smooth,

Anything faster, like your new connection, would run this game seamlessly in just about every single situation you'd encounter.

Honestly: I can tell no difference during normal play when I'm on 56k or at my bro's house on his cable connection.

Some games, like Counter Strike on PC, on the other hand, mean certain death on 56k. It is unplayable.

6. jer2eydevil88 macrumors regular

jer2eydevil88

The only thing I miss about living in a dorm is the 10mbit up connection I enjoyed.... nothing beats a 2millisecond ping on a CS:S server... every time you need to upload something to the web you are only limited by the speed of your hard drive (in my case my old windows laptop)

7. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

You, my friend, are the very last of a dying breed.

FOR CHRISTS SAKE UPGRADE!!

;)